*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1665712-Ringing-in-Your-Head-1st-Place
Rated: E · Short Story · Romance/Love · #1665712
Bryan couldn't quite remember what happened after Amber said no...
Bryan knelt at the toilet and threw up. The putrid taste of vomit filled his mouth. He turned around, grabbed a cup of water on the edge of the counter, rinsed, and spat it into the sink. “I hate being sick,” he muttered to no one in particular.

He attempted to recall last night. The memories were jumbled and smashed together in odd ways. He never thought Amber would say no. The ultimate gift – a ring – rejected. He shook his head then stopped. It made his head swim too much.

He wet a wash cloth and dragged himself back into bed where sweet slumber awaited. The cold of the cloth helped ease his aching head. He tried to make sense of last night as he lay there.

He remembered the rose petals. The candlelit dinner set on the balcony under the moon. He’d even tipped the waiter to put the ring in her champagne glass. Everything perfected. He knelt on one knee, then Amber said no. He remembered that clear enough. It got a bit blurry after that.

He called Josh, and they went out on the town. From the freight train barreling in his head, he was sure he’d gotten pretty drunk. Joyce, Amber’s sister, was there too. Josh brought him home. Kneeling on one knee. Amber’s face filled with joy? Nothing made sense.

<Knock, Knock, Knock>

“Oh, Lord.” Bryan rolled out of bed and inched his way to the door. He pulled it open, and there stood Joyce. Her face glowing and beaming at the sight of Bryan.

“Joyce?”

“Yes,” she said.

“What are you doing here?” He asked puzzled.

“You are a silly one. Amber didn’t want you, but then you asked me!” She extended her hand with Amber’s engagement ring on display.

"Ohhhh.... kay."



298 Words
Flash Story Must contain: Edge, Glowing, Gift
© Copyright 2010 BScholl (the0hawk at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1665712-Ringing-in-Your-Head-1st-Place