*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1665823-Crimson-Lake
Rated: E · Short Story · Activity · #1665823
Zach and Brandon embarked on a day of fishing... Brandon had some reservations.
“Come on. You’re a chicken. You don’t really believe in a lake monster do you?” Zach goaded.

Brandon hesitated. “I think there might be something. There’s just too many unexplained things that have happened – three people died in the last year alone.”

“Pfffff… ha ha haaaa.” Zach held his stomach. “It’s just a fishing hole. Those people drown. Probably skinny dipping and caught their foot. Who knows.”

“All right. I’ll go.” Brandon climbed into the bass boat and put on his vest. Zach, in an unusual display of responsibility, already had his on.

Zach gave a couple of sharp pulls on the engine chord and the engine sputtered to life.

“Do we have everything? Lunch cooler? Bait? Poles?”

Zach nodded, and then smiled. Zach twisted the throttle wide open. The engine revved to full sound as the boat lurched forward. In seconds they sped across the lake with a wide wake behind.

Cutting the engine they glided on the placid water along the scenic shoreline. Brandon relaxed. This was actually fun.

Brandon grabbed the bait box and his line and began the tedious, slimy chore of putting the squirmy worm on the hook. He pushed a bit too hard and jabbed the hook into his thumb. A single drop of blood fell into the water.

He took a band aid and wrapped it around the wound. It was not deep, but he chided himself none the less. Zach refrained from laughing, and instead baited his hook and dropped it in the water.

Bubbles oozed to the surface all around the boat. The boys shot each other a nervous glance. The boat vaulted out of the water and a serpentine monster’s fangs stabbed at them. Blood poured from Zach and Brandon's bodies, while the sunlight twinkled upon the crimson water.


300 Words
Flash Story Must contain: Sharp, Crimson, Lake
© Copyright 2010 BScholl (the0hawk at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1665823-Crimson-Lake