*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1665835-Pink-Spades-PT5
Rated: 13+ · Fiction · Fantasy · #1665835
Continuation of part4. Ahsaela has another run-in with the stranger she met before.
Debra was waiting for her outside the apartment building with a glass of red wine in her hands. She smiled when she noticed Ahsaela walking through the iron gate. Debra asked her how the audition went and she responded happily. Debra became equally excited about the event and the mother and daughter gushed about it for hours after that. Seeing how pleased Debra was about her audition, Ahsaela had a good feeling that her mother wouldn't dare to leave this place for a long time. “She's not cold-hearted enough to crush my dreams like that, is she?” She pondered to herself.

An hour or so later, while the two sat peacefully on the bench outside the building and shared a glass of wine, they looked up at the night sky with all of its gorgeous stars. Being outside again at night made Ahsaela's memory flash back to the night when she met that beautiful man who mysteriously disappeared after her strange vision. She casually mentioned the incident to Debra, curious about her opinion.

“That's very strange, 'Saela,” she began. “ Are you sure you weren't dreaming again, honey? People just don't vanish into thin air when they're standing so close to you like that. You only had your eyes closed for a few seconds! Surely you saw him walk away?”

“I really don't think I was dreaming, mom,” she replied. “ I remember leaving the apartment while you were in the shower singing that Patsy Cline song. I couldn't have imagined that too. I know this whole thing sounds crazy to you, but--” Her sentence was cut off right there because the mysterious man suddenly flashed into plain view. Her heart stopped as her eyes caught him walking in the darkness. He paused as he was passing the fence and turned to return the stare. Debra wasn't looking at the man, she was eying Ahsaela's facial expression and waiting for her to finish her sentence.

“Mom, that's him.” She told her monotonously, not taking her eyes off of him. Debra followed her stare and eyed him cautiously. The man smiled back and let himself through the gate. “So, we meet again.” He greeted Ahsaela warmly while he stepped closer to the two of them. He was wearing the same color clothing he wore the last time they met. A black, hooded sweatshirt and black, faded jeans was what he wore tonight instead of the nice collared shirt and slacks.

“H-Hi,” Ahsaela stammered. “How's it going?” She couldn't understand why she was so nervous. It was just a guy. Her heart began racing again and a nice warm feeling filled her chest. She was confused by the sensation, she'd never felt that before. She could tell her mother was slightly shocked by him and his forward manner of doing things. She could tell Debra didn't trust him at first glance.

“I'm well, and yourself?” He asked warmly.

“I'm great, thanks. What brings you this way so late at night?”

“Same reason as the last,” he answered flirtatiously. “And yet again, I am successful.” Ahsaela blushed at his comment, remembering the reason he went out the last they met; for fresh air and the chance of meeting a pretty girl. She was slightly surprised by how well another conversation was going with a native. He didn't seem so Japanese to her, despite his Asian features and accent. His English actually sounded better than the last time she saw him.

“Umm...where are you from, if I may ask. You don't seem Japanese to me. Pardon me if I'm being rude but, you're amazing at speaking English!” She gushed.

“Right you are, my friend. I'm not Japanese. I'm from a place much further away from here. I'm from Holland,” Ahsaela's eyes widened at his answer. “ I lived in Holland for many years, but I'm drawn to this place now.” He smirked after his response. Holland? Wasn't expecting that answer, she thought.

“You're Japanese accent is so strong though.” She argued.

“Well, when you have lived in Japan for as long as I have, you'll start having an accent too.” He dipped his head back and laugh heartily and she and Debra chuckled with him. Just then, Ahsaela had realized something, she'd been speaking with this man for all this time and never got his name. She suddenly felt ashamed and asked finally.

“My name is,” he hesitated for a few seconds before he finished the sentence. “ My name is Abel and you are?”

“Ahsaela. And this is my mom, Debra.” She said pointing a finger at the silent mother sitting next to her. Debra said nothing and sipped her wine some more.

“A pleasure to meet you lovely ladies.” Abel responded, filling his voice full of honey. Debra blushed like a silly school girl and held out her hand to shake his. “Sheesh,” she exclaimed. “Your hand is freezing!”

“Sorry, miss. It is a little cold out here tonight.” He apologized sweetly. With that, Debra stood from the bench and invited Abel inside for a drink with them. It was a Friday after all and Debra felt inclined to celebrate because she and Ahsaela were finally making their first friend since they'd moved to Tokyo. Abel accepted the invitation gratefully and followed them to their apartment. While they walked Ahsaela whispered to Debra, “See,I told you I wasn't dreaming.”

“Could have fooled me,” she began, giggling. “He sure seems like a dream.” Abel chuckled softly behind them as if he had heard their whispered thoughts. Ahsaela smiled to herself knowing that part of the influence of Debra inviting him in was because she was drunk from her good wine. Debra definitely wouldn't have made such a bold move to a stranger if she had been sober.

They all made themselves comfortable in the living room with glasses of wine to keep them company . With his glass in his hand, Abel slipped his hand the pocket of his hoodie and retrieved a small tube of dark liquid. He uncapped the tube and poured the contents into his glass, swirling it in circles to stir the two liquids together.

“What's that you just put in your wine?” Debra pried.

“My secret recipe, it makes any drink taste more splendid than you would ever dream.”

“What's in it?”

“It's a secret, miss Debra. I would have to kill you if I told you.” He joked. He sipped his mixture happily while he spoke. He was very pleased to be in their company it seemed.

“Well, some time you should tell me the recipe, so I can enjoy it too.”

“Maybe I will. But for now, it must be kept a secret. I need to decide if you're worthy enough to know the secret. You probably wouldn't like the taste at first anyway. It's much like beer; an acquired taste.”

“Ooooh, so mysterious you are.” She cooed. Ahsaela was very happy that the two of them were getting along so well. It appeared that, every day that went by, the two of them were growing to be more comfortable in this place. Debra couldn't possibly want to leave any time soon, she decided.

“Speaking of mysterious things, “ Ahsaela started. “ I'm still wondering what happened the first time we met. You vanished, as if into thin air.” Abel was silent for a moment then opened his mouth to speak, but appeared to be pondering the right words to say.

“Well, you looked like you were in pain. You were knelt on the ground like you were having a massive migraine. I panicked. I wasn't sure what to make of it. I tried to calm you and call out to you, but you weren't listening to me at all. I was afraid of what was happening—I just left. I apologize, I probably shouldn't have left you alone in such a state...I was frightened that I may have caused it.”

“How could you have caused something like that to happen?” Ahsaela questioned him.

“I don't know. I had guessed that I'd caused you stress of some sort. But now that I think about it, I don't think I caused it...what do you think happened?” Ahsaela was unsure of how to answer his question without sounding like a lunatic. She didn't want to tell him about her vision and she surely didn't feel like she should have told her mother about it. Things like this had never happened to her before and she feared being sent to the loony bin. She glanced at Debra hesitantly then sighed.

“I was having a migraine, I think. Although, I've never had them before; that badly anyway. But you shouldn't feel guilty about leaving, I probably would have done the same. After you left, I was completely fine, then I went to bed. That's all.”

“It would have been nice if you had stayed and called an ambulance or something, Abel. But, don't fret, at least now we know what to do if it happens again to our Ahsaela.” Debra chimed in.

“It's probably just stress,” Ahsaela decided. “ It has been tough moving to a new country and trying to fit in and such.”

“Yes, that must be difficult. How have you been holding up to far in Tokyo?” Abel wondered.

“It's been a learning experience. I know more Japanese now and I auditioned for a part in a band today, they seemed to take a liking to me so I might get the part.”

“That's fantastic,” Abel exclaimed. “ It will only get easier, the longer you stay I believe.”

“Yeah, I think that too. “ Ahsaela answered, giving Debra a slight stare. That night went quite smoothly for all three of them. They talked until morning just getting to know one another. Debra informed their new friend about her job and how she and Ahsaela had been moving around a lot because of it and the girls learned that Abel worked as a prison guard nearby. He was twenty-two years old and lived alone somewhere in Tokyo. Ahsaela noticed that when he smiled, he had a sort of fang thing going on. Small, pointed canines protruded from his mouth.

“Wow, you have beautiful teeth” Ahsaela gushed. “Did you ever wear braces?” Abel laughed, showing his teeth again and told them that he had never worn braces in his life. Shortly after that, The sun started to come up and Debra suggested that he stay at their home to sleep. She prepared blankets and pillows on a couch for him in the living room then she and Ahsaela went to their bedrooms. They all slept through the morning, since they had stayed awake so late. Ahsaela was the first to wake from sleep. She glanced at her alarm clock and saw it was two 'o clock in the afternoon. She groggily slumped into the kitchen to make herself some coffee, being careful not to wake Debra and Abel.

When she finished stirring the massive amount of sugar and cream into her coffee mug, the spoon suddenly slipped from her fingers and clashed against the floor. The sound echoed throughout the whole apartment. Ahsaela sighed in frustration and hoped to God she didn't wake the others. She liked the peace and quiet because it made her feel like she lived alone. Strangely enough, as much as she wanted to fit in somewhere and make friends, she still cherished every moment she spent alone. Ahsaela began to hear stirring coming from the living room. “Shit, I woke him up.” Ahsaela swore under her breath.

She heard his voice from the next room, muttering something in Japanese. He stepped into the kitchen where Ahsaela stood, frozen. She studied his face for a moment and thought maybe he didn't seem like himself today. He looked stressed out. His brow was furrowed and his lips pursed. Ahsaela opened her mouth to speak, but he cut her off.

“Watashi wa doko desu ka?” He asked with worry in his voice. He glanced around the apartment nervously like he didn't know where he was. Ahsaela didn't understand what he'd just asked.

“Umm...I'm sorry I didn't catch that, Abel. Try using English.” She responded politely with a smile, trying not to make him more nervous.

“Hu...is zis Eibel?” He asked her. Abel looked even more confused and out of place now.

“Abel. That's your name isn't it?”

“No. Ai amu Tsubasa Kuroi.” He announced, pointing a finger at his chest. Ahsaela's eyes widened. Did he seriously not know where he was right now? She asked herself. And why is he calling himself Tsubasa Kuroi?

“Don't you remember me, Abel? It's me, Ahsaela.” He shook his head no to answer her question. Then as if to second guess himself, he held his finger upward like he had remembered something.

“Yu are zat girl zat had za headache!” He exclaimed.

“Yes, I am. That's me, Ahsaela.”

“Aseera.” He repeated to himself, to confirm what her name was. He still looked worried and behaved like he was a totally different person. He seemed nothing like the man Ahsaela and Debra had invited into their home last night. Suddenly, footsteps were heard coming from the hallway. From the shadows Debra emerged, appearing just as confused as Abel was.

“What's going on guys?” Debra wondered.

“Mom, Abel is acting weird,” Ahsaela began. “He's speaking Japanese and it seems like he doesn't remember us or where he is.” Debra's forehead wrinkled as she listened to her words.

“Ai amu not Eibel,” he argued, shaking his head at the women. “Ai amu Tsuabasa Kuroi.”

“Ahsaela, let's just play along so we can figure out who the hell he is.” Debra said, sounding aggravated.

“Okay...Tsubasa...do you remember being with us last night?” Ahsaela asked him.

“Nooo, ai waz not here.”

“What do you remember then?” Debra chimed in.

“ Ai rememba ai see Aseera wiz a headache. Ai waz scared and run away.” Mother and daughter exchanged nervous glances.

“ Abel—I mean Tsubasa—what else do you remember?”

“ Ai go home...go to work at za prison...go back home...zen--”

“You work at the prison! That's what Abel told us he did for a living.” Ahsaela interrupted him.

“ Ai lay in my bed...zen ai don't rememba after zat.” He continued.

“He must be schizophrenic.” Debra decided. Oh wonderful, the first friend we make in this country won't remember hanging out with us because he's a schizo, Ahsaela complained to herself.

“Tsubasa, do you take medicine for a disorder called schizophrenia?” Debra asked him.

“Schizo? No, ai don't need medicine. Ai amu fine.”

“Is this the first time things have happened to you then after you don't remember them?”

“No...for months strange things happen to me.”

“What kinds of things?” Debra pried some more. Tsubasa's face cringed and he glanced nervously at his watch.

“ Ai can't stay. Ai go to work now,” he announced, ignoring her question. “Thank you for letting me sleep here.” With that, he hurried out the door, leaving mother and daughter more puzzled than they've ever been in their lives.

“Well...that was interesting.” Debra commented.

“ Darn, and we were just getting all comfortable here and making friends; our first turns out to be schizo and he doesn't know it yet,” Ahsaela sighed deeply. “He probably won't come back here now.”

“Yeah. It's a shame because he's soooo good looking!” Debra cooed. “How did someone so cute end up working at a prison?!”

“He's too young for you mom.” Ahsaela reminded her, rolling her eyes.

“He's an adult, Saela. Therefore, he is fair game,” Debra retorted. “ I may be forty-years-old but I look damn good for my age, pardon my French!” Ahsaela scoffed and stomped to her room for more rest. Debra climbed into the shower and sang the Patsy Cline song again until Ahsaela drifted off to sleep.
© Copyright 2010 Red Phoenix (akai at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1665835-Pink-Spades-PT5