*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1665858-Bounty-Hunterplus--Cht-5
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Draft · Sci-fi · #1665858
Cassie and Colin need Joseph
Bounty Hunter…plus. Chapter 5

Cassie gritted her teeth over the moan that tried to escape. She slowly blinked to clear her eyesight and nearly shrieked as she saw Korad over her.
“She’s awake!” He called over his shoulder.
Korad stood back and to the side as Tobias came up.
Cassie realized they were not on the ship. She lay on a bench in a building and her hand and feet were tied.
Tobias sat her up and smiled.
“Good. I‘ve call your friend and when he and Joseph get here, we‘ll get this over with.” Tobias turned away.
“Get away from me!” He heard Cassie say.
Tobias looked back and saw Korad grab her by the chin.
“Leave her alone, Korad.” He said, though he sounded like he really didn’t mean it.
“I’m not going to hurt her…just give her a little kiss.” Korad said as he leaned forward. He followed as Cassie tried to pull away from him.
Tobias saw the move and just watched. He saw Cassie moving her legs as she leaned back. Intrigued, he watched the scene
‘Lets see what she does.’ He thought.
“You’re not so tough now are you?” Korad said as he leaned in further while he moved his hand down her throat. He felt her tremble. “Scared?”
Cassie suddenly came forward as she brought her legs up.
Korad gasped and choked as her knee connected with his groin. He fell over, gagging.
“Terrified.” Cassie remarked, calmly.
Tobias chuckled “You’re full of surprises, aren’t you? Did Sterner teach you that?”
Cassie said nothing.
Tobias was confused. ‘Why wasn’t she afraid? I have yet to feel fear from her,’ He felt nothing but confidence from the girl. Nothing but confidence. He pulled Korad to his feet.
“Go pull yourself together.” He said as he pushed the smaller away. Tobias faced Cassie.
“You’re good. Better than Korad, maybe even better than Sterner.”
Cassie blinked.
“Did you know that he was the best?”
She slowly shook her head.
“He and Joseph were the best. They were the ones called for a lot of bounties and they always ‘got their man’.” His eyes became hard. “Were is the word. I’m the best now.” They softened a little. “And maybe I could use a new partner? It may keep you alive. ” He said softly. When Cassie said nothing, he smiled. “Think about it.”
Tobias turned away and keyed the communicator.
“Yes?” an anxious Gabe sounded.
“You know, Sterner, your girl is pretty smart.” Tobias said into the communicator.
“Let me talk to her!”
Tobias contemplated for a moment, and then he put the communicator near Cassie.
“Say something.”
“Holmes?” Cassie said before Tobias pulled the communicator away.
“Okay, you heard her. Will you meet me at the coordinates I gave you?”
“Yes.” Gabe commented.
“What else did you teach her? Fighting can’t be all she knows?”
“I’m warning you, Tobias, don’t lay a hand on her.”
“You are warning me?” Tobias scoffed. “Just meet us where I said.” He shut off the communicator.
Gabe turned to Joseph.
“I hope he bought it.” Gabe sat in the seat next to Joseph’s pilot chair. He reached up to touch Colin. “How’s she doing?”
“She’s still tied up, but no one is bothering her.” Colin laughed. “I wish you could have seen his face. Cassie really hurt him.”
“That’s my girl.” Gabe said. “I still can’t believe Tobias offered her a spot.”
“Tobias doesn’t keep partners for long, but I’ve never known him to use a female.” Joseph said. “How are you doing, Colin?”
“I’m fine now.” Colin said with glee.
Joseph smiled at the young one. A moment before he had been shaking with fury, saying that Korad was menacing and touching Cassie. He and Gabe were surprised when he nearly fell off as he started laughing. When they found out what Cassie had done, Gabe smiled with pride.
“I’ve never known him to use females, either.” Gabe said. “I just don’t like what he implied just now, though.”
“He must already be tired of Korad.” Said Joseph. He was troubled about what Tobias had suggested to Cassie. Almost every partner Tobias has had, ended up dead, usually before ten years partnered. “Maybe you taught her to well?”
Gabe gave Joseph a hard look. “From what I’ve seen of this universe, I think I did the right thing. I promised her mother I would take care of her. If I could have stopped her from leaving…” He faced the front shielding of Joseph’s ship.
“But you can’t keep her locked up…or from growing up.” Joseph said. He reached for the controls. “Titan.”
Even though Titan was a bustling colony, the directions Tobias had given them was to an almost isolated part of the moon.
“Okay.” Gabe faced Colin. “Do you remember the plan, Colin?”
“I sneak in, untie Cassie and we run back here to the ship.” Colin’s soft voice sounded. “What will you be doing?”
“Taking care of old scores.” Joseph commented. He set the ship down at the far end of the port. He glanced at Colin, when the young one whimpered.
“They’re taking her from that place.” Colin said as he stared off into space. “That Korad is hurting her arm.” The young one gave a soft growling click.
“Tell her not to fight; just cooperate.”
Colin blinked and faced Gabe. “She says she knows, Papa.”
“Can she tell where they’re going?”
Colin waited. He nodded as he spoke. “They’re taking her to a building that is…copper colored near the top.” Pause. “There are three doors; they are entering the first on the left.” Colin looked at Gabe. “How’s that?”
“Beautiful, Colin. Is she doing okay?”
Colin cocked his head. “A-okay, Papa Holmes.”
Gabe chuckled.
“Papa, they’re putting her in plain sight of the door and it’s slightly open.” Colin said. He gave another soft angry click. “They tied her feet again.”
Gabe sobered. “They’re trying to set a trap.”
“You noticed?” Joseph said as he straightened his weapons belt. “But with our ‘eyes’,” He nodded to Colin. “The trap is useless. Let’s just hope they don’t know that.” He put his hat on and smiled darkly. “Let’s go, partner.”
Gabe returned the smile. “Set.”
Colin looked from one to the other. “Me, too.” He climbed on Gabe’s shoulders.

Tobias waited for a time then headed for the door again.
“If you’re waiting for Gabe… I know he‘ll be here.” Cassie said.
Tobias smiled as something caught his eye.
“It’s not Sterner I’m waiting for. Some one else, you know, is here.”
Cassie sat still. With her connection with Colin, she knew that Gabe and Joseph were already on Titan, ahead of schedule. She tried to be calm and patient, but she hated the looks she was getting from Korad.
She looked up as Tobias greeted the one who entered. Brow creased in concentration, she stared at the man who walked up to her.
“Has she said any thing?” The man said. He was tall, though not as tall as Tobias. His dark eyes watched her, as an ugly smile broke in his swarthy face.
Cassie became confused as she recognized the man.
“Constable Duro?” She had seen him on Norba many times. He was a hired authority.
“She did recognize you, but I don’t think she really knows who you are.” Tobias said.
Cassy felt a chill go through her as the two turned away.
“What have you decided to do with her?” Tobias asked.
“As soon as we take care of your rivals, I’ll take care of her.” Duro said. “We can’t let her get word out about our dealings”
Tobias glanced and saw Cassie’s wide eyes.
“May I speak to you first?” His voice low. He led Duro to one side. “Maybe I can get her to work for us?”
“What are you talking about? If she exposes me…us, it’s over.” Duro alleged.
“Let me talk to her. I have a feeling she may want to live instead of die.” Tobias said. His face remained passive. “Korad has become a little to unpredictable.”
“All of you ‘partners’ have been unpredictable, from what I hear.”
Cassie sat watching them. She put her head down as she concentrated on her send to Colin.
[Colin, Constable Duro is the one who killed Gosan, I’m sure of it.]
[Holmes wants to know how you’re sure?]
[He was the one to enter before Gosan sent us on that errand. I just never put it together, that he was the one to show up first.] She thought a moment. [Did you relay what they said to Gabe?]
[Yes.]
Cassie waited for more.
[Gabe said we are on the way. We’ll be there soon.]
[Colin, you be careful.]
[I’m safe.]
Cassie smiled at the confidence in the send, but her concern became great.
“Don’t worry too much about Sterner. It will end soon for him.”
Cassy nearly jumped as Tobias’ voice sounded near her.
“I can ‘feel’ your worry.” Tobias gloated. “Have you thought over my offer? If not, you still have a chance to think.”
Another chill went though Cassie as she glimpsed Korad behind the bounty hunter.
[I wish I could talk to Gabe like I talk to you, Colin.]
There was a long pause. [So does Holmes.] Colin sent.
[Where are you now?]
[We see the building. Where is every one and what‘s it look like?]
Cassie started giving positions of the three and of the inside of the building.
[Gabe says to cause a distraction.]
[Okay.] Cassie closed her eyes, trying to call up something. She let out a scream when she opened them and saw Korad headed toward her.
Tobias jumped as soon as it sounded. He had tried to concentrate on her and been surprised by the slight fear he ‘felt.’
Every one jumped to attention when Joseph and Gabe burst in.
Cassie didn’t wait. She rolled off the chair and to one side behind a large crate. She lay, flinching with every sound of firing.
“STOP FIRING!” Some one cried. “There’s fuel stored in this building!”
The firing stopped.
[Cassie?] Colin’s voice sounded.
[Colin? Where are you?]
[Close. I’ll find you.]
As Cassie waited; Gabe crouched behind the crate he had found.
“Sterner?! A little early, aren’t you?!” Tobias called out from his own shelter.
“Yeah, a little!” He gave a hand signal to Joseph on the other side of the doorway. Question-where are they?-
Joseph signaled back. Answer-To back. I think little one reached girl.-
Colin stopped working on Cassie’s bonds.
[Cassie, Gabe is worried about us.]
Cassie worked her hands loose. [Try to send to him. Just like we’ve been practicing.] She started to untie her feet.
[I’ll try.]
Cassie watched Colin slow his breathing.
[That’s the way.] She sent, as Colin focused. She heard Colin send.
[Papa?] Pause.
Gabe jumped and looked around. [Colin? Are you talking to me?]
Joseph saw the movement and signaled. -What wrong?-
Gabe -little one talking to me.-
Joseph stared, unbelieving.
[Yes, Papa. I’m with Cassie. She’s loose.]
Gabe relayed the message to Joseph, who nodded with approval.
[Good, follow the plan.]
Colin looked at Cassie. [Papa says to get out of here]
Surprised, Cassie picked him up. [He wants us to leave with out them?]
[Yes.]
Cassie shook her head. [No, I can‘t.] She felt Colin had gone limp. [Colin, you okay?]
[Just tired. Sending to Papa Holmes was a little hard.]
[You did real well, though.] She cuddled him. She slowly got up to look around and felt Colin shift. [What is it?]
Coin sniffed the boxes they were near. [Cassie, I don’t smell fuel. I smell power packs.]
Cassie examined the crate. [As in weapon power packs?]
She heard a conversation start up with Tobias and Gabe.
“Sterner, I see you still move around pretty well for an old man!” Tobias called out.
“If you really want to see me move, step out!” Gabe answered back.
“You first!”
Gabe signaled -Is Cassie gone?-
Joseph -No. Still here.-
Gabe cursed silently. ‘What was taking them so long?’
Whispering sounded at the door. “Papa, we’re outside now.”
Gabe grinned as he signaled. -Ready?-
Joseph nodded as he gathered himself.
Gabe silently counted and then rushed for the door as Joseph covered him. He turned and returned fire so Joseph could make it out.
When all were out, they ran.

Tobias returned fire then stopped. He wondered why they had ran.
“Korad! Where’s the girl!” He suddenly yelled out.
He watched the man look around.
Korad ran to where he had seen Cassie roll. He held up the rope Cassy had been tied with.
Duro looked at him. “It seems we have a problem.”
“JOSEPH!” Tobias raged.

“How did you get out?” Gabe said as, with his arm around her, he steered Cassie to Joseph’s ship.
“We found an exhaust outlet near the back.” She saw Joseph looking back and grinning.
“What is it, partner?” Gabe asked, when he noticed as well.
“Tobias is very angry.” He faced forward and kept running. “I think this is the first time any one’s ever gotten away from him.”
“Uhm, there’s something I have to tell you.” Cassie said. “That building didn’t have fuel. It had weapons.”
Gabe and Joseph stared at her, then each other.
Gabe said angrily. “Tobias is working with him.”
“You can’t be sure it’s the same one.” Joseph said.
Gabe shook his head. “I thought I recognized that voice. It’s the gun merchant.”
Joseph looked back. “Well, you might get you answer.” He faced Gabe. “We’re still too far from the ship.”
Gabe looked around. “And we’re practically in the open.” He pulled his weapon and pulled Cassie behind him. “If it’s a fight they want…”
Joseph had his already out. “Last stand, partner?”
“Not if I can help it.” He glanced at his niece. “Cassie, run for the ship and get it ready.” He paused a moment. “If we don’t make it, call some one and head for Io.”
Defiant, Cassie stared at him. “I won’t leave you.”
“Cassandra!”
Cassie jumped and ran.
“You have her well trained, Gabe, but does she know how to pilot a craft?”
“What do you think?” Gabe grinned.
They both face the two that came up to them.
Tobias was livid as he came up. But he slowly calmed and smiled as he glared at Gabe.
“You two have always been good.” His eyes moved over Gabe’s frame. “You seemed to have recovered well after our last encounter.”
Gabe smiled warningly. “You won’t surprise me this time.”
Joseph and he noticed that it was only Tobias and Korad.
“Where’s your partner-in-arms?”
Tobias became serious. “Gone. He decided it was better if he left.”
Joseph ‘felt’ deception. He looked around.
“And the girl?” Tobias asked.
“Out of your clutches.” Gabe answered, noticing Joseph. “She’s calling the authorities as we speak.”
Tobias tense when he ‘sensed’ the truth. He spoke softly to Korad.
“Let’s get this over with.”
All aimed and stopped as a voice sounded.
“Drop your weapons!”
Gabe and Joseph turned and saw that the third man had Cassie by the arm.
Cassie had her head down as she spoke.
“I’m sorry. I didn’t make it to the ship.”
“Shut up!“ Duro shook her, causing her to cry out. “Put you weapons down!”
Confident that they had won, Tobias and Korad came up to collect the other’s weapons.
Gabe took a step then stopped when Joseph gave one signal.
-Wait.-
Gabe then notice that Cassie was empty handed. He waited until Korad was reaching for his weapon.
“Now!” Joseph cried as he knocked Tobias’ out of his hand. He began to grapple with his opponent as Gabe took on Korad.
Duro raised his weapon but double over as Cassie put her elbow into his midsection. He grunted, but recovered quickly and back-handed her, watched at she fell. He took a step toward her.
Cassie wiped her mouth and waited for Duro to get closer; but she jumped at a high-pitched squeal sounded.
Colin zipped forward and bit Duro on the leg. He jumped back as quickly.
Duro growled then fell as convulsions took him.
“You leave my family alone!” Colin said as he ran passed him to Cassie. As he was gathered up into her arms, he and Cassie watched the fight that was happening in front of them.
Joseph shoved Tobias away and stood panting.
Panting just as hard, Tobias gasped out. “You’re not going to win this one.” He worked off his gloves as Joseph did the same. “After I take care of you, I’ll take care of your friends.”
Joseph crouched, ready to fight. “You have to win first. So don’t be so cocky.” He leaped at Tobias, gritting his teeth as shocks went through both of them. He gave a quick glance at Gabe.
Gabe’s fist connected with Korad’s cheek. He stood gasping for air as the other steadied himself. He grumbled as he knew the younger man would recover quickly.
Korad swung, hit home on Gabe’s stomach and watched as Gabe went to his knees. He stood over the older man. “Face it, old man.” He gasped. “You’re past your prime.”
Gabe struggled to regain his feet but was thrown to the side as Korad kicked him.
Korad aimed again and fell on his back as his feet were swept out from under him.
“Maybe he’s past his prime, but he’s not alone.” Said Cassie. Her face took on an ominous look. A quick glance saw Colin reach Gabe, who watched with concern.
“You…I’ll take care of you once and for all!” Korad yelled as he stood and leaped.
Cassie duck the swing but grunted as a glancing blow connected with her shoulder, as she blocked another swing. She rolled away and crouched. She move away as his foot swung and when he stuck with her leg, she sat down hard. She sat, rubbing the leg and watched as he walked up to her.
“It’s over.” He said as he pulled back his fist.
“NO! Leave her alone!” Colin screamed. He rushed toward them.
Korad pause, to his error. His head snapped back as Cassie’s heel connected with his chin. Eyes rolling up, he fell unconscious.
Cassie panted as Colin climbed into her arms. “That’s for Dorion.” She smiled at Gabe as she went to him. They sat together as they watched Joseph’s fight.
The two combatants separated, both gasping for breath.
Tobias glanced around and realized he was fighting alone. He faced Joseph, who also was out of breath.
“Seems…like I…lose again.” He said breathlessly.
Joseph looked around as well. He grinned at Tobias.
“Seems that…way.”
Shaking, Tobias stood up. “If I’m taken in, I’ll get free later.” He held out his hands. “So I give up.” He said, smiling.
Also shaking, Joseph stared at him. He didn’t trust Tobias. He stood to face his rival.
“You know that you have immunity, but you’re not getting your ‘partner’ back.”
Tobias shrugged. “I’ll find another.” His eyes traveled to the group that watched them. “Maybe soon.”
Joseph smiled, but felt a little uneasy. “Are you sure?”
Tobias walked over to Gabe and Cassie. He held out his hand as he spoke to Cassie.
“Come with me. I have enough talent that I don’t need him.” He motioned to Duro. “You crave excitement and adventure. I know this. And I can do that and more. We can make enough, credits together…”
“Keep away from her.” Gabe said through gritted teeth.
Cassie put a hand on her guardian and gained her feet.
“Cassie?” Gabe said, concern and disappointment in his voice. “Child?”
“Its okay, Papa, I know what I’m doing.” She faced the bounty hunter. “I wouldn’t work with you for any thing, not even my life.”
Red-faced, Tobias took one step, but stopped as he hear the authorities arrive. He gave her an ominous smile and walked away.
“Do you have any idea what he could have done to you?” Gabe said as he came up beside her.
Cassie nodded as she took Colin.
“I think what he did to you was worse.”
Gabe gave her a look. “I’m proud of you. Stay here until we’re through”
With that he and Joseph walked over to the authorities.
© Copyright 2010 Machamom (marygyvara at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1665858-Bounty-Hunterplus--Cht-5