*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1666403-Entry
Rated: E · Short Story · Contest Entry · #1666403
A short story about living life in a nursing home.
  It was a rainy day outside of Jefferson Nursing Home but IdaBelle didn't care.  Tonight was the night of The Red Ball and she was excited. 

  Her Daughter-in-Law had came yesterday and brought her a nice new dress from the J.C. Penny store and some new pumps from Payless shoe store.  She even got a new pair of slippers cause her daughter-in-law told her they was buy one get one half price.  She looked at the dress lying across the bed and her mind started drifting back to a time long before.  A time when she would have been darting around with her best friend Madge adorning flapper dresses and heels.  Dark red lipstick smudged on pouty lips so that when they smiled at the sailors they would for sure get asked for a dance, maybe even three.

  IdaBelle's eyes misted at the thought of days long gone.  Days of dancin' and singing.  Oh how those soldiers loved her and Madge.  They were both nurses on the base so not only did they get to help them during any recovery time they had, but then they were there with them once they had recovered doing dances like the Shimmy and the Charleston.

  Those days were behind her now and so was Madge, but she still had two good feet and tonight was there was some shimmying to be done.  So IdaBelle put on that new dress and slipped into those new shoes and headed toward the Ball in search of her a sailor.
© Copyright 2010 lucyrose (tamiered at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1666403-Entry