*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1666527-The-Seventh-One
Rated: 18+ · Short Story · Fanfiction · #1666527
Feel the cold sensation! 724 Words
These days I recognize the dates only when I collect the news and release it to my headquarters Referring the almanac, totting up my days in this city I end up with mere murk conceived of.

Daniel, my room partner, knew this city well; he helped a lot to take pressure off my work here.

The locals here can hardly wait for the sun to go down to stimulate their evenings with the foaming beers and girls. Daniel enjoys this place a lot, especially on Fridays and Saturdays.

Every Friday, he asked me to join him at his favorite joint and every time I came up with an excuse. On one Friday I tried it the other way -

"Daniel, don't stay out so late at night. Look at this news item.

He partially viewed the news I had drafted. Its title said, “Another killing. Cops unable to wrap up.”

“I am mailing it to my editor."

It read on the five consecutive murders of the whores that occurred in the city in last two months.

"Don't worry; the killer won't dare to touch my girl and don't show me this junk!" He scrunched the paper I held. "Ain't you coming out with me?" he asked me in a sharp voice.

I could not turn him down this time; I went with him. The place had an aura of aroused charm. Air encompassed the blended smell of liquors and perfumes. Some girls exhibited the wild response to the electrifying music, whereas the others simply took up the seats beside the guys.

I ignored the famished looks of those watching me and enjoyed the exciting feel. I couldn’t neglect Rosie but I had. First, she gazed at me intently and then sat next to me. Daniel signaled her.

She greeted me and said, "I like you," Rosie's tone, though puny, still carried the smart message required for her customers.

I stared at her speaking eyes. "You are beautiful!" I said.

"Yes. I know. I really like you."

I figured out the response she needed.

"Okay. I like you too." My tactless reply did not disturb her.

She invited me to spend the night with her at her house.

"You live alone?" I inquired.

She smiled. “I stay alone," her voice turned silky.

I tossed off the beer.

Looking into her eyes I uttered, "No sorry, I won't come."

"Why?" She knitted her brows a while.

"Have you had your dinner?" This response had been uncalled for.

"Yes." She looked dully sideways twisting her lips.

"Would you like to smoke or have some beer?"

"No, I never drink or smoke." She went restless.

"Really! That's good."

"So, are you coming with me?" Her warm touch had a stimulating effect.

I did not answer, it really hacked her off, "Tell me, or I will look for another customer.”

"Well, you can if you want to. Don't count on me."

She stayed with me for a little while.

"Why the heck are you in this business?" I asked her.

"My mother tells me to do this. I've been able to provide for my family, doing this.”

"Hmm…"

"Would you mind paying for my taxi?" She held my hands in hers.

"Sure. I would pay that." While leaving, she gave me a nice hug outside the restaurant. I kissed her cheeks and said bye to her.

Her memories, she left for me as a gift. She also left her card with me.

Absence of Rosie ruined the charm of the place and with the permission of Daniel, I left that whorehouse. Daniel did not return home that night.

Next morning the city had witnessed another homicide of a prostitute. Promptly I typed the message for my newspaper reporting this sixth murder in the series.

Another two days left for my departure from the city. I could not forget Rosie. Her beauty lingered in my mind. That night, I left the house. Daniel stayed out, so I left the key with the watchman. I took a taxi. I took out Rosie's card to see her address. The taxi moved through the city streets. I kept thinking about the piteous life of Rosie. Then I checked my pockets. Yes! I felt its cold sensation: my clean steel knife. Without it, I could not complete the quota of seven in this city.

724 Words
© Copyright 2010 yespabee (yesbee at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1666527-The-Seventh-One