*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1666569-Sweet-Goodbyes--Sweet-Hellos
Rated: 18+ · Short Story · Drama · #1666569
Charleigh & Chloe's hard times with boys, school & sports.
         Charleigh knew that Chloe was already waiting for her in the girls’ bathroom on the other end of the building, waiting to go to English. She couldn’t help that Mr. Mason had kept her late, yet again. Well she probably could if she wasn’t late every day for his class. It’s a good thing being tardy didn’t cost you anything here. Charleigh waited for Mason to turn his back, and the second he did, she was gone. She sprinted down the hallway, and slammed the door to the girls’ bathroom open. There sat Chloe, right were she was every day at this time, reapplying her makeup.
         “Could you ever be on time for something?” Chloe had known Charleigh for many years now. Growing up on the upper east side of Manhattan does that to you.
         “Well if Mason didn’t insist on making me stay late, I wouldn’t have been late.”
         “Maybe if you weren’t tardy for his class every day, he wouldn’t keep you after.” Charleigh stuck her tongue out at Chloe, and Chloe gave her the finger. This was almost the exact same conversation they had every day right before the walked to English together.
         “Are we working on that stupid essay in Rawson’s class today?” Charleigh asked Chloe. Chloe swore that if it wasn’t for her, Charleigh would lose her head if it wasn’t attached.
         “Nope. But it’s due tomorrow.” Chloe sighed, “Have you even started writing it?” Chloe’s ten page essay was already in her backpack ready to be turned in to Mrs. Rawson. She contemplated allowing Charleigh to read it. She always caught things that Chloe missed.
         “No, I haven’t started writing it yet. I’ll do it tonight after practice. Tyler’s got Lacrosse anyways so he won’t be around.” Ah Tyler, Chloe thought, the one reason that Charleigh is never on time, and doesn’t do her homework until the last minute. If Tyler wasn’t in her class, homework didn’t get done until Tuesday or Thursday nights, when Tyler was at Lacrosse. Chloe wanted to know how Charleigh did it. The late nights, sneaking out, drinking, and yet she still managed to be top swimmer on the east coast, in the running against her for Valedictorian, and well Chloe already knew that it was going to be Charleigh that got it. Charleigh’s family was higher up the food chain than hers was. Chloe jumped off the counter.
         Charleigh watched at her best friend gathered her stuff around, for English, and Chloe reached in her messenger bag. “Please tell me you are not going to ask me to read your essay?” Charleigh sighed. She knew this was coming. It happened every time they wrote an essay. Chloe’s strength was not writing. “Ugh you are.” She said as Chloe pulled it out of her bag. Completely bound and ready to be turned in. It showed Charleigh how far behind she actually was. She had a lot to do tonight. They walked out of the bathroom, arm in arm, and there stood Chuck.
         Charleigh groaned. “What in the world do you want?” Charleigh was not happy about Chuck’s infatuation with her.
         “Why do you assume that I want something?” Chuck said, Chloe and Charleigh could tell that Chuck wanted something. He was a greedy little bastard, even with all the money that his family had.
         “Because you’re Chuck, it’s what you do.” Charleigh was becoming extremely irritated, and then she saw him, there was Tyler. He was her angel from heaven. He was tall, blonde hair, blue eyes, and an amazing smile. Charleigh was completely in love with him, plus he was a Cunningham. It made it all the better.
         “Good afternoon Chuck. What are you bugging them about today?” Tyler had that sarcastic snide sound in his voice. Even though Chuck was his best friend, it drove him absolutely nuts that he was after Charleigh. No matter what Tyler said, it never stopped Chuck from doing what he wanted.
         “I wanted Charleigh to read my paper for next period English.” Tyler looked down and saw that Charleigh was already carrying one paper, and he was positive, mostly because it was bound already, that it was Chloe’s paper.
         “I’ve got enough on my hands Chuck. I’ve got Chloe’s paper to read, and mine to write myself. I don’t need you bugging me too.” Chloe elbowed her for that comment, but Charleigh didn’t care that Chloe thought that her and Chuck were a better match than her and Tyler. Chloe had even said that Tyler was cheating on Charleigh with Melissa Redman a freshman. Charleigh knew Tyler wouldn’t do anything like that. He valued his life too much. Charleigh grabbed Tyler’s hand and walked away from the situation. Chloe was going to be mad at her for it, but she didn’t really care. She also knew that being with Tyler was going to cause her to be tardy or miss the entire period of English. Rawson was going to be pissed.
         “Charleigh…” She heard Chloe say as she walked away hand in hand with Tyler. Charleigh ignored Chloe as she did every time Chloe got mad at her for walking away. Someday Chloe would learn.
         Charleigh and Tyler walked silently for a long time. Tyler could tell that Charleigh was thinking about something pretty hard, he just didn’t know what. Sometimes he thought she was too smart for him. He was a Cunningham after all, but she, she was a Carmichael. She’d gotten everything she’d ever wanted all of her life, and she knew it. He knew the time would come, that he wouldn’t be enough for her. She was supposed to be with Chuck, and everyone knew it, except for her. Tyler wouldn’t push the subject with Charleigh though. She was stubborn, and it was her way or the highway. God help whoever decides otherwise.          
         Charleigh wasn’t sure what to think right this second. She’d ignored her overwhelming feelings for Chuck for as long as she could remember. She loved Tyler, right? Or at least she thought she did. Love is a funny thing. Charleigh wasn’t really sure what to do with this feeling she had for Chuck. Chuck was a Rochester.  He could give her all of the things she’d ever dreamed of, or at least what her billion dollar trust fund couldn’t. Charleigh would be Valedictorian, and she would be top in the nation in the 200 freestyle, and Chuck, he would be right behind her the whole way. For as long as she’d known him, he was always there on the side lines. She’d seen him make things happen just as easy as she could. She imagined what the two of them could do together. She had thought when she was little that she was just special, but now she knew. Her last name said it all. Carmichael. Her mother was Rochelle McNeal, not someone from the Upper East Side like her dad was. They’d met in college. She’d been on a full scholarship to Yale; her father on the other hand was like Chuck. He came from a wealthy family, old money as some would say and completely high class. No one had ever caught Martin Carmichael in anything less than first class.
         Ah Charleigh’s father, Martin Carmichael. He was the most intimidating person that she’d ever met. He wasn’t around much, spent most of his time overseas doing business. She missed her mother tons on days like this. She’d died when Charleigh was about two, in a horrible car accident. Charleigh could hardly remember her. Charleigh looked just like her mom, long blonde hair, skinny as a rail, but all muscle. The only thing that didn’t belong to her mother, were Charleigh’s eyes, they were bright green, just like her fathers.
         “Earth to Charleigh.” Tyler was waving his hand in front of her. He must have been talking and she was off in dream land.
         “Sorry babe, I was thinking about something.” She said.
         “Care to enlighten me?” Ah as if Charleigh didn’t know that was coming.
         “Just stuff for my essay, and the calculus test I have tomorrow. It’s a good thing you’ve got Lacrosse tonight.” Maybe she would call Chuck and have him come over after all. Charleigh was going to get herself into trouble and she knew it well enough. Inviting Chuck over while Tyler was at Lacrosse practice was going to end their relationship, though she didn’t know if she really cared at this point. Charleigh felt like banging her head against the wall. Just break up with him she thought to herself. Even with that thought, Charlie figured she’d get one more thing out of Tyler before she got it from Chuck. Maybe then Tyler wouldn’t go after Chloe. “Lets skip English today. I want you now.”
         “OOkk...” That threw Tyler for a loop. He’d thought for sure he’d seen that look on Charleigh’s face telling him that she was going to break up with him, and now she wanted to sleep with him? Girls and their emotions, he thought to himself, I’ll never understand them. Little did Tyler know that she was going to break up with him, Charleigh just didn’t know how she was going to do it. Yet.


         Charleigh’s phone started to vibrate sitting on the night stand next to her bed. It only vibrated twice, so Charleigh knew it was a text message, and she could guarantee it was from Chloe yelling at her for skipping English, and then French. Tyler had taken off because he couldn’t afford to miss his Spanish class again. Charleigh on the other hand was already fluent in French and didn’t care if she missed the class, Chloe on the other hand, was pissed. Charleigh picked up her phone and read the text.

“I can’t believe you skipped English and French! Again!
I needed you for French today, and Mrs. Rawson says
that you better have finished the English essay
tomorrow, she’s not going to give you an extra day to
finish it. She says she knows you skipped her class. I’ll
be by with your homework later. I’m off to tutor. Ily bye.”
         
Charleigh was amazed that it wasn’t as mean as she’d expected. Usually when she missed French Chloe threw a huge fit. Living in France for two summers definantly helped your vocabulary. Charleigh pulled something out of her nightstand. It was her journal, she figured it was time to write in it today.

                                                           October 7, 2009                    
         So today I’ve decided today that I’m going to break
things off with Tyler. Over the past couple of weeks, I’ve
noticed how I feel about Chuck, & after all of these years
I think that it’s time that I allow him the chance. Chloe
seems to think that Chuck & I are supposed to be together,
and according to her, so does the rest of the school. I’m
curious as to if that’s because she wants Tyler. I can never
tell with her if that’s what her deal is. Sometimes she is
so hard to read.
         I skipped both English & French today. I skipped English
to have one last time with Tyler. I think that he knows, but
can’t figure out a girls emotions. This is going to devastate
him. But I think I’m in love with Chuck. I’m going to text him
when I’m done writing this and invite him over while Ty is at
lacrosse practice.
         Today I thought of my mother. I miss her so much, and I
hope that I am making the right decision in choosing Chuck.
My mother could help me with this. Tomorrow we have a swim
meet at home. I’m very excited. There is rumor that they
think they can beat us. There are some kids that have bets.
They’re going to lose money.
         I also think that my dad might be coming to the meet.
I’m a little worried about that, but I know that Chuck will
be there for me…

         Charleigh put her journal back in her nightstand and picked up her phone. She hesitated when she typed Chuck’s name into the to category. She wasn’t sure what he was going to say, but she knew that he had a free period right now.

“I want you to come over tonight.
Plz don’t say anything to Chloe
& Ty just yet. Come now.
-Char”

         Charleigh hit send. She waited for what seems like hours for him to respond to her text. It had only been 2 minutes when she got the response.
“I’ll be there in 15. Jumping in the shower.”

         Charleigh thought that she should probably get out of bed, make it, and fix her hair, put some lingerie on and change her clothes. Charleigh checked the nightstand drawer for condoms, and made sure she took her birth control that morning. She told herself that she wasn’t going to sleep with him, but she didn’t trust herself. She pulled her journal out once more.

Continued…                    
                   I just invited Chuck over. He’s coming…

         She walked in her bathroom and turned her straightener on to heat up. There was a crease in her hair from her pony tail. She walked out and opened the top drawer of her dresser. She pulled the black lacy bra and black see through checkie undies out. She stripped down and looked at herself in the mirror, I hope that I’m good enough for him, she thought to herself, and put them on. She grabbed the low cut yellow top out of her closet and slipped it on over her head, and then grabbed the jean mini skirt out of her dresser drawer. She heard the straightener beep, time to work on her hair. Her long blonde hair lay halfway down her back. She ran the straightener through it. The crease came right out. Since Charleigh didn’t wear make up, she didn’t bother worrying about that, she just put her dangly earrings in and cleaned up her face. Her eyes shined. She went out to her computer to check Facebook and her email until Chuck got there.
         There was an email from her father’s assistant/girlfriend.

         “Char,
                   Your dad and I are going to be in town tomorrow night
         We would like to attend your swim meet, and have dinner Friday
         with you & Chloe. Please respond immediately.

         -Dad & Nicole”
         
         Charleigh dreaded seeing her dad, and even more seeing his girlfriend. She really didn’t like her and though that she was only into her dad for money, but Charleigh responded anyways.

         “Dad & Nicole,
                   Chloe and I would be happy to have dinner with you on
         Friday night. I will make sure that they have your tickets
         waiting at the admissions table for tomorrow night. See you then

         -Char”

         She forwarded the message onto Chloe’s email as well. Charleigh heard a knock at the door. Her heart started beating fast, and she was nervous. She never got nervous. Charleigh checked through the peep hole on the door. Sure enough it was Chuck. She opened the door.
         “Come in quickly please.” Charleigh said. She was surprised that her voice stayed level. Chuck came in quietly. She’d never let him in her room, just him and her ever before. Chuck wasn’t sure what to do with the situation, so Chuck did what he did best. He grabbed Charleigh around the waist and pulled her to him. This through Charleigh completely off guard but she didn’t fight it, which surprised Chuck. Chuck had one arm around her back, holding her to him, and the other was in her hair. Charleigh’s arms were around Chuck’s neck, and they kissed.
         Kissing Chuck is breathtaking Charleigh thought. I can’t believe I haven’t done this before. Charleigh never wanted to let go. It seemed so right. She could feel things heating up between them. Finally she pulled hear head back. Without breaking the romance, Chuck was kissing her neck. Charleigh moaned. She knew she was making the right choice then.
         “Chuck, stop please.” She finally managed to say. He looked down at her. “I don’t want the first time to be like this…” Chuck stopped, with hesitation of course. He kissed her one last time before pulling away. He has some self control, she thought to herself.          
         “Charleigh, what is this? Earlier this morning I was the black plague…” he sighed, “Now it seems as though, I’m the love of your life. You call me here while you know that Tyler is in Spanish class, and he’s going to head straight to the Lacrosse field when he’s done, and you know that Chloe is going to come straight over because you skipped French. And yet, here we are, all hot and bothered for each other.” Charleigh sat silent for a few minutes. She wasn’t sure what this was, but it felt more right than being with Tyler did.
         “Well, it seems that my feelings for you have completely over run my common sense, so…I called you here to see what it was, and it seems that being with you seems more natural than being with Tyler…and I called you here while he was at Lacrosse practice because…I’m not sure how to break up with him yet.” She sighed, that was easier to say than she thought it was going to be.
         “Well, plainly, Charleigh, I’m completely in love with you.” Chuck said.
         “Everyone seems to realize that except me.” Charleigh was fidgeting with her hands. “Chloe was telling me it the other day. I refused to believe her. I figured she was just after Tyler.”
         “Chloe has no feelings for Tyler. In fact Chloe is after Nate.”
         “Since when do you know more than I do? Ugh, never mind, I don’t want to know.” Charleigh just let it go. She was happy that Chloe wasn’t after Tyler. Charleigh lay back on her bed, she wanted Chuck to join her, but at the same time, she wanted self control. Besides they only had a few minutes before Coach Nick wanted them at the pool. Chuck lay down next to her. Charleigh felt things tighten inside her that she wasn’t used to. She cuddled up next to Chuck and laid her head on his chest. He smelt so good. She could feel Chuck tracing the tattoo of a butterfly on her lower back with his fingers. She reached for his open hand and linked her fingers with his. She could stay this way all night if time would allow it. She heard her phone ringing from the bathroom sink. She was sure it was Chloe wanting to know where she was for practice. She looked up at Chuck. “We should probably go to practice.” She said. She heard her phone ring again. “Chloe’s pretty upset with me now.”
         “Do we get to hold hands?” He asked.
         “Well…I guess I could call Tyler and break things off with him.” She thought about it. She felt bad that she was going to hurt his feelings and even worse that she was going to do so over the phone. But she was going to do it anyways. She couldn’t resist being in Chuck’s arms. Stupid emotions, she thought to herself.
© Copyright 2010 LoveLife07 (lovelife07 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1666569-Sweet-Goodbyes--Sweet-Hellos