*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1666634-College-Christians
Rated: E · Article · Biographical · #1666634
This is about my personal struggles as a college student trying to live a Christian life.
She pulled up to her college campus. She was reaching another milestone in her life. She’d hear adults say “Enjoy this time, there’s nothing else like it. Just remember your Christian values and principles.” She heard what they said, but she couldn’t forget the movies she’d seen and the stories she’d heard about college life. She could hardly wait for her mom to leave so she could get her own party started.
That was me when I first arrived at Florida State University. I was the daughter of a preacher. I was not ashamed to admit I was a Christian and everyone who came in contact with me knew it. I’d even been given the chance to preach a few of times. But, when the time to go to college came, a few things changed.
Reverend Natalie, an advisor of my church’s collegiate ministry, says one of the biggest problems college students face is dealing with freedom. “You can do whatever…A lot of my friends got lost. [They] got caught up in anything and everything.” She was right. I tried to keep my Christian upbringing in mind, but as I started meeting people and as I tried to get the “full” college experience, I lost sight of it.
#1-Show Me Your Friends
My friends were not bad people. They just did a few things that were not Christ-like. The biggest thing was language use. I was always taught that as a Christian I should not use profane language. So I never did. My friends on the other hand cursed like sailors. After being around them as much as I was, I found myself using the same words. I hadn’t noticed at first. But then they brought it to my attention. I’d started to pick up their habits. My mom always told me, “Show me your friends and I can tell you what type of person you are.” I didn’t pay attention to her before, but it wouldn’t be long before I started to think about it.
#2-What’s Your Hobby?
Before I came to college I was always at church. Everything I did in my free time was something regarding a dance or meeting at church and I loved it. I wasn’t the child that dreaded church service. When I got to college that all changed. I didn’t get involved like I was back home. My free time was no longer devoted to church or anything related to it. My choice in music had even started to change.
Now, instead of going to church I was sleeping in because I’d stayed out too late the night before. I was never comfortable dancing before, but now I was the first one on the dance floor. So many things had started to change. I was no longer dancing for Jesus. Now I was shaking my money maker.
I remember times I would come home and feel bad because I could picture God looking down on me, shaking his head in disapproval. But I didn’t care too much because the next weekend I was at it again. I’d picked up a new hobby and I wasn’t about to drop it.
#3- Where’s Your Guide?
I remember being out at a party one night. I’d bought this dress that I normally wouldn’t have picked out. It was literally a little black dress. I was out with my friends dancing and having a ball when I had to go to the restroom. When I looked in the mirror I hated what I saw. I saw a completely different person. I wasn’t the same innocent girl I was when I arrived.
When I got home that night I saw my Bible sitting on my desk. I realized that I’d barely touched it since I’d gotten here. At that moment I realized what my biggest problem was. It was my lack of communication with God. How could I be a good Christian if I didn’t read God’s word or talk to Him regularly? The Bible is a Christian’s guide to life and by not reading it I’d found myself lost. I had to read it to get myself back on track.
#4- Stay Connected
Rev. Natalie says we must have a “balance in God”. She said we must have a relationship with Him so we’ll have something to pull us back. After all of this I realized that in order to live a Christian life you must stay connected to God. It was so easy for me to lose sight of Him when I wasn’t surrounded by people who were focused on Him or when my free time was filled with partying rather than church. And it was really easy to stray away from God when I wasn’t reading His word to keep me in check.
I heard a student in bible study say it’s easier to walk the Christian walk when you surround yourself with like minded people. That has definitely made it easier for me. In addition to surrounding myself with others who are aiming to please God, I’ve started reading God’s word on a regular basis, and I’ve gotten involved at church.
When she arrived she took her eyes off of God. But now she’s doing whatever it takes to reconnect with Him. She is no longer concerned with the dancing and partying, because she knows that only what she does for God will last.
© Copyright 2010 Jessica W. White (jessicaweekley at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1666634-College-Christians