*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1667158-Mike-Brewer-and-Josie-Ratley-Recovering
by Lady J
Rated: ASR · Article · Drama · #1667158
Mike Brewer Jr was on the Today Show to talk about his family, recovery and a new school.
Mike Brewer Jr. went on the Today Show to talk about his family, his recovery and going back to school. Six months after the attack that left his body with second and third degree burns. 15 yr. old Mike is now able to talk and go about his day. But six months ago he was attacked and set on fire because of a disagreement over a $40 game and a stolen bicycle.

Mike talked about being happy but nervous about going back to school after the attack. He now attends a new school and described Deerfield Beach Middle School; the school he attended at the time of the attack, as "terrible."

No wonder since earlier this year on March 17, 2010, Josie Ratley was allegedly attacked by a 15 yr. old teenage boy who was angry about a text message Josie had allegedly sent him about his brother who had committed suicide. She was kicked in the head repeatedly with steel-toed boots after being slammed into the pavement. She had so much brain damage she had to be put in a medically induced coma. Mike visited her while she was still in a coma and hopes she'll recover like he did. Good news though, she has since come out of the coma and is able to recognize people including her mother who told Ann Curry that 'her breath was taken away' when Josie recognized her. Josie however has a long way to go. She can't move her right arm, speak or swallow on her own.

“I hope she gets better, and I hope I see her again,” Michael said of Josie while on the Today Show. “As soon as she starts believing in herself, she can do it.”
Hopefully these two teenagers will be able to go on with their lives. The perpetrators have been arrested and charged. I like many others wait for justice to be served. Children need to be protected. Even from other children.
© Copyright 2010 Lady J (reggaejane at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1667158-Mike-Brewer-and-Josie-Ratley-Recovering