*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1667994-5-Things-to-do-When-it-Rains-in-Paraty
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by Alex
Rated: E · Other · Travel · #1667994
Options for activities to do when it rains in the beach destination of Paraty, Brazil.
Alexandra Alden



5 Things to Do When the Perfect Beach Vacation Isn't so Perfect



Brazil's white sand beaches and hot tropical climate are two of the country's main draws but this climate also means that at times it will rain. For many the rain causes a panicked sense of 'My vacation is ruined.' However, there are activities to do when it pours that can save the trip.



Go to a little visited museum: Most beach destinations are known for being just that and nothing more. A rainy day gives the opportunity to explore another side of the town. It is practically guaranteed that there is at least one museum celebrating the cultural or historical aspect of the destination. These museums which are usually ignored when the sun is shining can tell a story that may have otherwise gone undiscovered. Ask at the local tourism office to find out what the options are.



Taste the Local Cuisine: When on the beach food becomes a sort of sidebar to frolicking in the waves and soaking up the sun. When it rains the focus can turn on finding a nice restaurant and enjoying a leisurely meal. Seek out something local and unusual, and linger. Get an appetizer, a bottle of wine (or the local liquor) and use the opportunity to catch up with friends and family. Try the prato feito (set menu). It is easy on the budget, ranging from R$10 – R$20 depending on location and gives a good sample of Brazilian flavors. A typical plate will include meat, chicken or fish, feijão (the infamous Brazilian cooked beans), some sort of vegetable, and farofa (a flour made of cassava that is meant to be sprinkled on the meat).



Take to the Jungle: Brazil is home to many cachoeiras (waterfalls) and when the rain makes the beach unbearable the waterfalls, which are usually under the cover of jungle, become a tantalizing option. The leaves from the trees create a natural umbrella so hiking there and back isn't unbearable. The waterfalls can become very strong if there is a lot of rain so be prudent about choosing when to go and bring bug spray as mosquitoes tend to manifest in the rain.



Swim: It sounds crazy but swimming in the rain is amazing. Make sure there is no lightning and that the hotel is nearby so hypothermia doesn't set in, but enjoy the melding of water from the sky with water from the ocean.



Get all the little Errands out of the Way: Now is the time to pick up that tee shirt for the nephew or that new bikini in the window. Send that e-mail to work, upload those photos, call home, or write a postcard. Seek out a warm and dry refuge and accomplish all those tasks that no one really wants to do but need to get done. Doing this while it's raining ensures that when the sun does come out all there is to do is lie on the beach.
© Copyright 2010 Alex (alex.alden313 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1667994-5-Things-to-do-When-it-Rains-in-Paraty