*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1668765-Chapter-4--Bedelia-meets-Olivia
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Chapter · Action/Adventure · #1668765
In this Chapter Bedelia meets Olivia
Chapter 4


After discussing their strategy, Pluto walked Bedelia back to the Women’s Barracks. As in the past, she started getting an eerie feeling as they approached one particular entrance tucked along the avenue. It had a pergola type portico covered with trailing vines that spelled out in elaborate flowing cursive, the name “Olivia.”

“I wonder who that could be?” she said, thinking aloud.

“Would you like to meet her?” asked Pluto.

“You know who lives here?” she answered in surprise. "This gate has always spooked me a bit. Makes me want to turn in, walk up the drive and knock on the door.”

“Olivia is a friend of my Mothers. Come on, I’ll introduce you. She‘s a delight.”

“Are you sure?” Bedelia wondered, scanning his mind, to see if he was up to mischief.

“Yes, I’m sure. "

Nothing seems to be amiss, she concluded.

“Quit worrying!” Taking her hand, Pluto walked her down the stone pathway, through the garden and up to the door. Taking the knocker, he rapped several times. As if expected, the portal opened and an elegantly dressed man appeared smiling and said.

“So good to see you Pluto, Your mother will be happy, especially when she finds out you’ve brought Bedelia.”

Do I know this man… she asked herself, This can’t be where his mother lives. Pluto’s house is the other side of town. This makes absolutely no sense.

“Do I know you?”

“We met a long time ago; at Myrocena.”

“Oh my goodness, how could I ever forget your face. Is it still Captain Rogoletti?”

“I have a new title. It’s Squire now, but everyone calls me Rogo.”

From inside the mansion she heard a lilting voice call out..."Who is it Dear?"

“Almost everyone,” he chuckled as an aside. “Pluto and Bedelia," he answered.

"Gracious Sakes, came an excited voice, “Bring them into the drawing room this instant.”

“Right this way" said the Squire, with an inclination of his head...

Bedelia, was suddenly afraid and chided herself for getting into this situation. How could Olivia be his mother? She was not impulsive by nature and felt overwhelmed, as if things had gotten suddenly out of hand. However, it was too late to turn back and she was put at ease by the gracious woman that stood up to greet her.

“So you are Bedelia. Stand here by the window so I can get a good look. Many is the time I’ve seen you walk by and thought of a hundred different ways that I might step out and introduce myself, without seeming forward or presumptuous. I had about decided to set up a Tea Stand, and try that as a pretext, when out of the blue, Pluto brings you right in through the front door.

“Took your sweet time,” she scolded, giving him a severe look. “Rogo, why don’t you boys go outside and discuss something manly. Surely, there’s something you can find amusing while Bedelia and I become acquainted.”

“I was about to go out to the workshop,” said the Squire. "There’s an archery range next door where I test my crossbows. I have a new one I’m most anxious to demonstrate. This way Pluto,” he gestured, “unless you want to sit and listen to girl talk.”

“I’m with you,” said Pluto, as they stepped outside.

Olivia had already taken Bedelia by the arm, chatting nonstop, as if they were old friends being reacquainted. In the Parlor, by her bay window, was a table and chairs. “Would you like some tea?” she asked, already beginning to pour. "Come, sit down next to me… cream, sugar…Oh fiddlesticks, help yourself, won’t you? And look, Rogo just got back from the bakery…you must try these croissants…they have a chocolate center, and the crème éclairs are great favorites of ours.”

Bedelia took a seat. Outside she heard laughter as Rogoletti and Pluto began shooting.

"Now what prompted you to stop by Don’t tell me it was Pluto’s idea. It's it’s been a year since I last saw him. My, he has certainly grown; put on some weight too, but then Climatus is a wonderful cook. She’s his mother and a very close friend of mine."

"I don’t really know," Bedelia answered quickly, to get a word in. " I told Pluto what a beautiful gate you had and your name written in trailing vines was beautiful. Then he insisted on introducing me. At first I though he was joking, but no, he was serious, and the next thing I know, we’re at the threshold and he’s banging on the door.”

"Pluto has wonderful instincts and certainly brought you to the right place. As a matter of fact I've been hoping that we might become friends. You look puzzled. There's something on you mind, isn’t there?"

“The Squire said you were Pluto’s Mother.”

“I’m his Earth Mother… His Biological Mother… are you familiar with the “Calling.”

“Oh my goodness,” said Bedelia blushing…

“Don’t be embarrassed my Dear… it was a necessary expedient to protect the bloodlines and those who gave have no cause for shame.”

“Of course not… it’s just that people…”

“Yes, I know. They make a main course out of something, better left on the back burner. However, it was a necessary expedient and something that had to be. Even I, was not exempted from participating. Moreover, I was proud to serve. I tried to see it as an opportunity and I met some very interesting young men, as well as some I would just as soon forget; but nonetheless had some very eye opening experiences. However, this isn’t what brought you to my door. Something’s troubling you isn’t it?”

“Yes ma’am.”

“Then what is it?"

"It's a matter of love, my lady."

"Well, you certainly came to the right place to discuss that. I am a foremost authority on the subject. Love is what brought me to Tristan and love is what keeps me here. However, the subject is broad and often of great complexity and if you wish me to be of much service, you must offer a bit more specificity."

"I think Pluto’s in love with me,” she said wincing.

"Of course he is. It’s as plain to me as the wart on Rogo’s chin."

“You really think so?”

“No question about it.”

“How can you tell?”

“The same way you can.”

“Huh?”

“Telepathy.”

“I knew there was something… but I can’t see your thoughts…”

I should certainly hope not… here try it now. Is this better?

Oh my goodness... you are fluid.

But not nearly as powerful and adept as you are.

With the young girls, I can always tell if they have the gift but with you there‘s no way of detecting it.

That’s because I’m a Witch, but even so my range, without a stone, is quite limited. If you don‘t mind I find telepathy fatiguing and the sound of your voice is positively delightful. Do you mind using it?

“Not at all,” answered Bedelia.

“How do you feel about Pluto’s love?”

“I’m terrified. For you see, he comes from a noble family and I'm most unworthy and do not wish to become an embarrassment."

Olivia began laughing in a most delightful way, rocking back and forth.

"Did I speak inappropriately?"

"Indeed not..... I titter only because I’m asked all the time for love potions and what you’re suggesting is quite at odds with that. Not once in all my years have I been asked for the opposite....whatever that might be....I will have to check the library to see if such a thing even exists. Perhaps a dispelling charm of some sort..... Let’s defer on that until I can examine the matter in greater detail. Now tell me more. Has Pluto given voice to his feelings?"

"He hasn’t come right out with it?"

"But you think he might?"

“I want to be ready if he does..”

“And would it be so terrible if he did?

"Yes! his father is High Council Chair, Kulrick."

"Hmmm, I remember him," she said tongue in cheek, " definitely wasn’t my type, but that was a long time ago. His wife Clematis, on the other hand is a dear friend. A truly gracious woman. I see her every week at our ladies club."

"Then you can appreciate my concern over Pluto’s infatuation."

"So you feel unworthy of his affections?"

"Indeed, for the reasons I already explained."

"Those are not reasons, they’re impediments... Why do you feel unworthy?"

"Because I'm evil."

"Hmmmmm, and why do you think that?"

"Because sometimes I think evil thoughts and because I am the spawn of a monkey."

"That my dear is simply impossible. Shocking is a better way to describe it, simply shocking! I don’t know what you’ve been told but that notion of yours is simply not in the nature of truth."

“It isn’t?”

No it isn’t and biology is something I know a good deal about. What you’ve been led to believe is very false. Moreover it makes me see red and want to spit nails.”

"I didn’t mean to upset you… have I intruded upon your serenity.“

"My serenity?” said Olivia, forgetting her anger and starting to laugh, “have no fear the of that. My world can hardly be termed serene.... chaotic would be a better term. But allow me to explain further."

"Please go on."

"First let me assure you that everyone thinks evil thoughts. From the day we're born we’re awash in pettiness, because the very vessel we inhabit is made of the elements, which are black, dark and cold indeed. The best we can hope to accomplish in life is to give our spirit dominion over the evil that clings to us like a wet dishtowel. We must squint hard to see down the dark corridors and try our very best to follow the dim path of righteousness."

"But my parents were Apes"

“Did you know your father?”

“No, but my mother was a gorilla.”

“No she wasn’t my dear. She might have looked different from other Elves but she was not an Ape…I know that for a certainty, and you should too.

“How do you know?”

"Like I told you before, I'm a Witch. I’ve gazed deep into the past and shared the memories of sisters long departed. My powers derive from the Sun but I have a deep and pervasive understanding, not just of the light but the darkness too. My legacy is long line of Witches who are intimately acquainted with both. You're not evil ,Bedelia. You’re Elfin, which leads us to the second part of your comment, which I shudder to repeat. The notion that you are the spawn of an ape. That is repugnant and polluting."

"But I....."

"Let me finish, please. Your body is as normal as mine is. You can mate with human, elf or dwarf and have offspring just the same as anyone else. What was altered in you were pathways that carry your spirit from place to place. To that extent you were changed in ways that men have no right to meddle but the changes that were wrought are no more significant than changes that nature is forever making in the children of her creation. You are different to be sure, but that difference is only racial. You are as worthy a Sapien as anyone who lays claim to the title. If you ever utter the word “Monkey Spawn” again in my presence I’ll order Rogoletti, to wash your mouth out with soap. "

"I only repeat what I see in the minds of others."

"Sometimes intruding on unguarded thoughts, is not wise. Do so at your own peril and don’t be surprised by what you see. However, there is also much good to be found in humanity and you must never allow anyone’s unspoken prejudice to define your character or theirs, for that matter. Believe me when I say, that you are as worthy a young woman as any in the kingdom."

"Your words lift a burden from my heart.” said Bedelia, misty eyed. “You have my gratitude, the only token worthy of your grace."

"You embarrass me with sincere and honest praise. It's rare for me to hear it and it touches me in a way that only innocence can. Nevertheless, I'm no different from you and if I have an eye for truth, it's only the ability to know it when I see it. However, let us move away from mutual admiration lest we become too enamored. Now, tell me how you know of Pluto’s love? Does he give thought to his emotions?"

"Not really, but that’s hardly necessary."

If he doesn’t give thought then how do you know?

"By probing?"

"Psychic probing?"

“How else?”

"Say no more?"

"Did I misspeak?.."

"Enough! Your gift is more than I anticipated. I have heard of it but never met someone with that ability. However, I should not be surprised. Since the edge of your mind travels further than anyone’s in the kingdom, the touch of your heart should come as no revelation. If there's more, and I suspect there is, let us leave it now to slumber."

"Yes my lady."

"So what kindled Pluto’s infatuation?"

"He feels that I'm responsible for his success in passing Tier One and Two. He wanted to succeed so badly, that when he did, and I was his partner, his gratitude kindled the flame."

"How was it that he succeeded with you when he has failed with everyone else?"

"He's very smart and I did exactly what he told me....had the others done the same, he would have succeeded long ago."

"So the trick was to be a good listener. Is that what you're saying?"

"I did what he told me to do…, I was obedient."

"No! No! Let us not head down that road. Womankind has come too far to turn about now and throw ourselves back into that abyss. He succeeded because you provided him with something that no one else could offer."

"And what was that?"

"You expect too much of me,” answered Olivia throwing up her hands. "I wasn’t there and my powers aren’t divine.”

"I'm confused."

"I don’t have enough information to properly address your question, but rest assured, I’ll give it my lamp. Is the name of your Weapons Meister, Demetrio?"

"Yes, my lady."

The Door opened and the sound of laughter carried into the house.

"They’re back… and I was having so much fun. Please return tomorrow and we’ll pick up the thread. It’s been stimulating! Rogo?"

"Yes my Lady."

"See our young friends the door. Bedelia will be back tomorrow for another visit."


----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Outside they continued their stroll up the avenue.

“Surprised?“

“Amazed,” answered Bedelia.

“Olivia can be overwhelming, she takes some getting used to.”

“You have two mothers.”

“Fancy that.”

“She said my parents weren’t Apes.”

“No surprise there.”

“How would you know?“

“Why would I care?”

“You care plenty… you’re always worried about what other people think. A little teasing and you turn scarlet.”

“Don’t be a smarty,” he snapped back, “You don’t know as much as you think…”

"Yes, I do. When are you going to catch on that keeping a straight face doesn’t hide anything from me."

"OK, so I care what people think, but what I care most about is you. I’m in…."

“Don’t say it….

“What difference does it make? It’s true, and further more, I don’t have to be psychic to know you feel the same way.”

“I’m not ready to deal with this, Pluto. Thinking it is one thing, saying it another. Isn’t there something else we can talk about?”

“I suppose… My other Mom’s been asking a lot of questions.”

“About what?”

“About you.”

“What does she want to know?”

“When she’s going to meet you.”

“What did you tell her?”

“I was evasive. I didn’t want to make a commitment,until I checked with you.”

“What kind of commitment?”

“She’s going to want to have you over for dinner.”

“What does she know about me?”

“She’s been talking to Olivia. Your guess is as good as mine.”

“Do you think she’ll like me?”

“I know she will. My Dad now, that’s another story.”

“You think he’ll object because I’m a Simian Elf?”

“My father objects to most anything I do. What he thinks is not important.”

“Family is important, Pluto… I’m worried.”

“Then you need to w orry about us and what’s going to happen after the Home Defense University . (HDU)“

“Right now I’m trying not to think about that. There’s a lot on my mind.”

“Like what, for instance?”

“I have a mission coming up. I’ll be meeting with Captain Standaloft tomorrow.Then I’ll be gone for awhile."

“I’m not comfortable with these SOF missions of yours. What you're doing is really dangerous.”

“I used to look forward to them, but lately I’m beginning to dread going back across the border.”

“Well, don’t fret about it. You have to come back.”

“I do?”

“Yeah, otherwise I’ll never pass the HDC.”

She searched his mind. He chuckled to himself.

“Are you messing with me?” She asked.

You have absolutely no sense of humor,” he thought to himself, as hard as he could.

“You are messing with me!” she said, giving him a shove…You just wait ‘til the next time you wonder what my breasts look like.”

He blushed. She reached up taking his shoulders.

“Lean over big guy,” she whispered, and kissed him on the cheek.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The High Council ruled the Cisterian lands. They had gathered soon after receiving the latest intelligence from the patrol operating outside of Corinth. They had gotten word from a trusted agent that a full-scale fund raising effort was underway and that the Republic was discretely trying to determine the locations and sources of the Templer’s wealth.

The Templers were a secret society that was heavily engaged in the banking and finance industry. They had emerged in the aftermath of the Confederation War, and grown, until they were undisputed, the most powerful financial institution in the known world.

The Council was composed of five elves sitting beneath an ancient willow. It was an informal setting with the jurors gathered around a justice who ran the proceeding. His name was Lord Kulrick and he was the First Chair. Bobbing his head, he brought their minds to order and began communicating in silence. In the meld of their collective awareness, the details of all known information were arrayed in an orderly fashion. Unlike a council of men, there was no need rehash what was already known because everyone already knew it. Rather, its purpose was to find out what was not known and the questions, regarding the Empire's motives and the Templer’s wealth were matters of great interest to the Elves.

Lord Kulrick began to channel and his thoughts coalesced in the minds of those around him.

The issue for today’s agenda concerns the Empire’s growing interest in revenues that exceed by far any need for maintaining their territories. Matters have gotten to the point that they are examining the Templers with a scrutiny not see in hundreds of years. If they can discover the source, and repositories of their riches, they could easily appropriate, in one fell swoop, the equivalent of ten year's tax revenues. Now that could turn out to be a bold move, if it works or a reckless initiative, if it doesn’t, and it’s a matter we need to explore collectively.

A messenger walked up, in full cladding, and took a knee before them.

“Give your report," said Kulrick.

The mind of the messenger unfolded with these tidings.

Our latest Reconnaissance Patrol was been compromised. They're running for the border. In their latest message they reported, “Marigold “had a request that required action at the earliest opportunity.

So noted, Kulrick channeled and the messenger withdrew.

Summoning his strength the Chief Justice breathed deeply and gestured, shaking his head.

“I do hope, for all our sakes, that these two events are not related.”

One of the members of the Council was a Wizard and his name was Ubocastor. It was standard procedure for the Chair to introduce the agenda, make some general comments and then turn it over to the Wizard who served as facilitator.

“Pick up the thread, Ubo,” said Kulrick, “and let’s get started.”

There are really three questions we need to discuss. First is the Empire’s sudden need for additional revenues. Second, what have the Templers done to raise the ire of the Empire, and finally, the source and repositories of the Templer’s wealth? Let’s begin with the first question.

The way the session worked was that each of the justices would answer the question as best they could and their answers would flow into the collective meld of everyone’s thinking. Ubocastor would then pull out the most promising ideas and rank order them. Based upon criteria such as uniqueness, likelihood, consequence and any other others he thought appropriate, he would array them in order of merit. He had a special knack for doing this.

I see one idea emerging that carries some momentum. The gist of it is that the Empire wants to start a war and needs the money to pay for it.

Another is the possibility that we are over reacting and this can all be attributed to greed.

Another is that the money is needed to finance social programs and associated activities that keep the down trodden distracted from their miserable living conditions and poor quality of life.

A final one is envy. They resent the power of the Templers and having someone else controlling the purse strings galls them to the core. They hate it when they have to go, hat in hand each year, to borrow for spending that exceeds their tax revenues.

There are some others we could discuss, but these are the four that rise above the rest. Now of these which do we believe is the most likely? I see a consensus forming… Yes, reason number one. Then there is a follow up question . Of these which is the most threatening to our National Interests? That was easy. Answer one has it. In conclusion, it is the consensus of the Council that the Empire is planning to start a war and needs the additional revenues to finance it.

Turning now, we have the second and third question, which lead into one another. What have the templers, done to fall from favor and where do they hide their money? Please share your thoughts.

First up, is the possibility that the Empire went to the Templers looking for a loan, and they were rejected.

Second is, that the arrogance of the Templers, became too much to bear and the Empire is considering sanctions to keep them in line.

Third is, that it’s always easier to steal money than raise it legitimately and morality is not a strength, the Republic ever made claim to. Moreover, once they learn the source and location, they will turn on the Templers and appropriate their wealth.

These are all excellent points and I suspect there is some truth to each and every one. In summation of questions two and three, the Empire was rejected on a loan request, they have taken it personally and once they locate the source of the Templers wealth, they intend to appropriate it.

“Thank you Ubo and members of the Council. There are grave implications to what you've decided. I intend to share with Our allies, and the Templers too, our conclusions. Finally I intend to dispatch another patrol
And find out more about the nature of “Marigold‘s” request.”

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bedelia sat on her bed thinking. It had been a busy day full of exciting and wonderful revelations.

Olivia had implied that her Mother was not a gorilla but an Elf with long hair. She had never stopped to consider that possibility and it opened the door to an opportunity, heretofore tightly shut. If that was true, then maybe there was hope for some type of relationship with Pluto. Not that it would be easy but at least it would be possible.

Then there was the question of Pluto’s family. Would they accept her? His Dad was a Blue Blood, but his mothers were Witch and Elvenhume. Would her Simian heritage be too much to accept? Soon they'll be checking me out and I have to think that whole scenario through.

Her thoughts turned to Martha and Guiles. They really were really perfect for one another and she was excited about the possibilities. Well, tomorrow at breakfast, she was going to find out. Thinking about them she wished that her life was as uncomplicated as theirs. They were both Elvenhume and nobody was going to question them having a relationship.

Gradually her thinking turned to the upcoming Mission. Her trust in Captain Standaloft was absolute and she would follow him anywhere. However, in the last couple of years, she had begun to question her mortality. At first the possibility of being killed was abstract. Sure people were going to lose their lives but she wasn’t going to be one of them. Gradually however, she had begun to suspect that it was only a matter of time before her own number came up. When it did she hoped it would be a minor wound that would give her an excuse for retiring gracefully. Then, when her Simian Friend, Petra, lost her life, with Cracious and the possibility of death had really come home. It was beginning to gnaw at her fortitude.

“Oh well, she sighed to herself, It’s just another mission and Guiles hasn’t let me down yet.

Finally before she turning in there was the matter of Pluto. Lately this had been her favorite subject. It was something she delighted in speculating about. It put her in a good mood to end the day. Pluto loved her and she loved him. What worried her was wondering, if love would be enough to get them through the hard days that lay ahead.

“One day at a time, she whispered to herself, rolled over and was soon fast asleep.

© Copyright 2010 percy goodfellow (trebor at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1668765-Chapter-4--Bedelia-meets-Olivia