*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1668995-Serve-and-Protect-1st-Place
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Action/Adventure · #1668995
McGruder had the perpetrator now. But who was he protecting by catching him?
Sgt. Darrell McGruder blew bursts on a whistle while he chased the perpetrator through the alley. The perp knocked over a row of silver trashcans producing the sound of broken glass and an instant barrier for McGruder who dodged them and kept pursuing. The perp leapt high on a chain link fence and vaulted over with ease, grunting as his feet smacked the asphalt. McGruder leapt, climbed, and snagged his pant leg. Angry and frustrated he tugged on the offending cloth but to no avail. He heard the footfalls fade into the darkness.

“Damn!” McGruder screamed, sweat covering his body. He slammed his police hat to the ground and tore the pant leg free. He reached for his radio. “Perp going down sixth street to the north. He’s headed for the intersection of seventh and elm. Over.”

“This is car fifty. We’re in the area, but no perp. Will investigate. Another one got away, eh Darrell?”

“Just look for the son of a bitch!”

“Roger. Looks quiet though (laughter in background).

McGruder’s blood pressure elevated. He stared at the fence, and tilted his head in disbelief. I had him. McGruder was about to leave when a glint caught his eye on the other side. He squinted but couldn’t quite make it out. He scaled the fence and dropped down.

An envelope with a silver circular seal lay there. He cut open the seal and found an invitation to the Mayor’s gala for tomorrow night. McGruder smiled.

“This invitation didn’t come cheap,” he muttered, “Only a few people invited to that party could scale that fence. The one who lost their invitation or doesn’t show is our man. Those blackmail photos they just stole of the Mayor won’t do them any good now. Serve and protect the innocent my ass.”


299 Words
Flash Story Must contain: Whistle, Glass, Cheap.
© Copyright 2010 BScholl (the0hawk at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1668995-Serve-and-Protect-1st-Place