*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1669010-Over-Coming-Writers-Block
Rated: E · Article · How-To/Advice · #1669010
Two writing exercises directed at overcoming writer's block.
What are your favorite writing exercises? Overcoming writer's block!



It's not unusual for writers to hit a wall and their writing. We can spend hours, days, and even weeks trying to move past these blocks. Many writers have to techniques of their own for overcoming writer's block. Some of the techniques in which riders use to do this would be speaking with other writers or even with non writers. We often seek advice from those closest to us to help with a variety of situations.

One of the most common suggestions for overcoming writer's block is to keep writing. Like so many others who are having this issue I end up staring at blank page. And it seems like the longer I stare at the page the more or blank I become, only leading to more frustration. The more frustrated I become the less I want to write.

One of the things that I have learn to help me with this issue is writing exercises. Something that helps force me stay with limitations and boundaries. By focusing more on the technical side of it instead of the creative side of it, it helps me move past the writer's block. So I thought I would share a few of those with you.

One of my favorite writing exercises is to choose five words that have absolutely nothing to do with each other. Write or type these at the top of the page. The next part of the exercises is about staying within the limitations. The limitations are, to write a complete short story using exactly 1000 words. You would like to use correct spelling of course but also use correct punctuation. And don't forget to use all five of your unrelated words. Once you've done the original draft the first thing you should do is a word count. If you're over your limit of 1000 words you must edit out the extra words to make it fit while still staying true to your story. Of course the opposite is true also, if you're short of your 1000 words then you must better describe the situation of your story. I have found that concentrating more on word count and correct punctuation has taken some of the stress off the need to be creative.

Another good exercise for ending writer's block is to find a location or picture that is very active. Something that has a lot of color to it and possibly even a lot of movement. After studying the scene for several minutes close your eyes and see if you can see it in your mind's eye. After putting all the details together inside your head attempt to describe it on paper or computer. Do this without looking at the location or picture. As always using correct spelling and punctuation. Once you have finished your description then compare it to the location or picture for accuracy. After finding the differences between the two do an edit of your description.

Both of these exercises not only help in writer's block, they also increase your editing skills, and improve your show not tell abilities. Sometimes they even lead to the beginning of a brand new story. I'm sure there are several other writing exercises out there that have helped many others along the way. Of course it's always best to use what works well for you. Next time you're stuck just remember to calm down and relax and maybe even try one of these exercises.

I would be interested in learning of any other writing exercises that have helped others to overcome writer's block. I'm offering 75 gift points for those who leave a review of this article, or of their own exercise for overcoming this issue.
© Copyright 2010 RedIniquity (iniquityred at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1669010-Over-Coming-Writers-Block