*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1669151-PARADOX---Chapter-53
Rated: 13+ · Novel · Action/Adventure · #1669151
Action/Adventure along the lines of National Treasure and Indiana Jones
Chapter 53

May 10, 2012 – New Berlin Base – Antarctica




“Per your orders, we have captured the men intruding at the old base.” Colonel Nachbauer came to attention and addressed Hans.

Hans returned his salute. “Well done Colonel. I see there were no casualties. I sincerely hope that none of your men suffered any.”

“None, Herr Unter Führer. The man called Mueller attempted to kill one of their members, but thankfully, the man was wearing body armor. I prevented him from any further attempts.”

Hans gave Mueller a disapproving glance then turned to Daria and Hitler. “I believe you know these men, Fraulein Wolff?”

Hitler took several steps forward and scanned the men. “Her name is Daria Hitler,” he answered for her. “She is my granddaughter and her name is Hitler.” He walked over and stood in front of the line. “Doctor Prestano. It is a pleasure to meet such a great academician. I read your treatise on, The Early Morovingian Dynasties, and it was fascinating.”

Dom did not know how to respond so he simply nodded his head. Hitler moved on down the line to Monday. “You, I assume are Doctor Stiehl, the would be paramour of my liebling Daria?”

Monday was still in shock from meeting a man who was a mirror image of Adolph Hitler. His mind told him this had to be some kind of sick joke. “I am Doctor Stiehl and Daria is not my paramour, as you infer. She is my wife to be.”

Daria’s eyes lit up at these words and she would have rushed to Monday’s side if only her legs would work. But, she was frozen in place; afraid to see how this encounter would develop.

Hitler continued to appraise Monday with a wide grin on his face, a grin seldom seen in newsreels of the old Hitler. There was no indication of hostility. “I have also read a dossier on you, Doctor Stiehl. While not as impressive as that of the eminent Doctor Prestano, you are also an accomplished academic, as well as a one time military officer.”

“The dossier I read about you was not a complimentry one,” Monday replied. He’d be damned if he’d let this make believe Hitler ride roughshod over him.

“Bravo! I like a man with spirit. Don’t you Hans?”

Hans shook his head in agreement. “Initiative is a good virtue, but a dangerous one.”

“Colonel Nachbauer, please escort the remainder of these men to secure quarters. See to it they are well taken care of.” Hitler turned to Monday and Dom, a smile still covering his features. “Would you please join me in conference? I am certain there are answers to the questions I see bouncing through your minds.”

Monday nodded to Henri to assume command in his absence.

“May I be excused from the conference for a few minutes,” Hans asked. “I have some urgent business to attend too.”

Hitler waved him off and motioned for the attendant to approach. He ordered more tea and coffee then took a seat at the table.

Monday strode over to Daria and reached out for her hand. She disregarded his hand and wrapped her arms around him. Shuddering, she kissed him then hugged him tighter. “I though we’d never be together again,” she finally whispered. “My mind is still in turmoil over what I’ve seen and learned since Gaißach.”

“I’ve missed you terribly,” Monday whispered in a louder tone. “Are you well. Have you been mistreated?”

“That’s just it. They have treated me like royalty. It’s like I’m suddenly princess Daria. People have stumbled all over themselves to cater to my every whim.”

“Liebling, will you take the time to update Doctor Stiehl on the past several week’s events?” Hitler asked. “Doctor Prestano and I will discuss historical matters in the interim.” Dominic looked as if he’d rather hear Daria’s interesting news. “Don’t worry Doctor, as soon as she arrives at the information concerning her present status, we will return our attention to them. They have a certain male/female bonding to get out of the way first.”

They both looked at him trying to figure out what that last remark meant.

For a good half-hour Daria filled Monday in on everything that had happened since she was kidnapped. She was especially talkative when she elaborated on how kind and gentlemanly Señor d’Amador was and on the beauy and peace of the villa. “Oh my!” she suddenly exclaimed. “I have the strangest news.”

Monday looked at her with renewed curiosity.

“Colonel Dorbec is my half-brother!”

Monday’s look told her that he found that very hard to believe. “Dorbec, the mercenary who kiddnapped you?”

“It appears that my father had an indiscretion or an, affaire du coeur, with Dorbec’s mother. Isn’t that incredible?”

“What’s more incredible is the man sitting at the end of the table,” Monday nodded in Hitler’s direction. “Is he a mad man who thinks he’s the reincarnation of Adolph Hitler?”

“He is Adolph Hitler,” Daria smiled as she saw Monday’s eyebrows raise. “He is a clone.” For another ten minutes she covered the details of what the doctor had outlined. Monday listened in fascinated awe.

“Getting back to Dorbec,” Monday stated. “His entire team, with the exception of two men, were killed by the man this Hans calls Colonel Wilhelm von Liegntz. I am sure that Hans had something to do with. Dorbec has joined our side and he is with Chester on a separate mission. Two of my men also died while escaping Liegntz.”

Daria’s look was extremely upsetting. “Hans told me that Dorbec was on his way back to Europe. He said nothing about the death of his men.”

“We are dealing with extremely ruthless people,” Monday returned. “I don’t know anything about them, or about this pseudo Hitler, but I assume they have an agenda they are hiding.”

They were just beginning to discuss personal things when Hans returned with several men following him. They were not in uniform but wearing lab coats or medical jackets. They all came to attention and saluted Hitler, who motioned for them to sit down at the table.

“I understand that you and Doctor Prestano would like to clean up and refreshen yourselves,” Hans stated, openly disturbed that Monday and Daria were sitting alone at the far end of the table. “But, we have important business to transact first.”

“Where are my men?” Monday demanded. He did not like the look on Hans’ face and it was becoming obvious that the man had personal designs on Daria.

“They are comfortable and refreshing themselves. You have placed yourselves in a position in which you have no right to be,” Hans continued. “But, now that you are here, there is something you can do for yourselves and for New Germany.”

“New Germany?” Monday inquired.

Hans disregarded his question. “Your other team has been captured by The Brotherhood and their associates.”

Monday suddenly stood up and glared at Hans. “When? How? Where are they?”

“They have been taken to the Alpha Base of the Arianni. We have informants within the ranks of The Brotherhood and your friends are in great danger.”

“Who are the Arianni?”

Hans glanced at one of the labcoated men and signaled for him to answer Monday’s question. The man went into detail about the Nazi affiliation with the Arianni after the war and the subsequent breakup.

“They seem like very peaceful people,” Dominic stated. “Why would they align themselves with, The Brotherhood, if this organization is as evil as you insinuate?”

“They are a peaceful people,” another one of the labcoats answered. “But, they are also fools. They have evolved to the point to where they can do no harm to anyone. They also believe that world-wide peace is achieveable.”

“And you do not?” Monday asked?

“Not with dozens of mixed races inhabiting the planet. Not with hundreds of countries and scores of separate political systems running amuck. The civilizations of the world as it is today are headed for eventual extinction.”

Dom brought the debate back on line.“What influence does this Brotherhood have on the Arianni?”

“They have convinced the Arianni that they have the means to achieve world-wide peace,” Hitler answered. “They think that by changing the past they can effect the future.”

“That is a matter of conjecture,” Dom stated. “I am sure you have heard of the paradox theory?” Everyone nodded in agreement except Daria who had a puzzled look on her face. “The theory infers that if a man goes back in time and kills his grandfather before he gave birth to his father, how would he be born. Therefore, a paradox exists because the man could never be born if the grandfather was killed.”

The first lab coat continued. “They sincerely believe that if they go back in time and assassinate Jesus Christ and Muhammad before they can expound on their religious beliefs, that Christianity and Islam will never be conceived or spread.”

Monday thought about the concept for a moment. “So, how will this achieve world peace?”

“It is their theory, and a relatively good one, that ninety percent of all the wars throughout history have been caused by religion. Eliminate religion, thus eliminate the greatest cause of war.”

“What’s to say that another Jesus or Muhammad doesn’t crop up if they assassinate the originals, and what about Judiasm and other world religions?

“I am sure they have theories on this and are prepared to act accordingly.”

“If God wants his message to be delivered to mankind, no Brotherhood or any other self anointed organization will stop him,” Dom argued.

“Where do me and my team fit into this equation?” Monday turned and looked back at Hans. “And, do they really have the secret of time travel?”

“Your associates, the other team captured by The Brotherhood, will be the ones who will be sent back to the past. They now have the means of time travel, we also have the same ability.” Hans smiled as if he was enjoying passing the news to Monday. “They will, of course, be shadowed by members of The Brotherhood, and they will be under extreme duress throughout the length of their expedition. You have an interest in helping your men to escape the clutches of The Brotherhood.”

“What makes you think they would volunteer to go back and do such a thing?”

A simple question, a simple answer. “Their families are being held by, The Brotherhood. You assist us in destroying The Brotherhood’s plans and we will assist in the safe recovery of their families.”

“Why is it important that you prevent them from accomplishing their mission?” Dom asked. “Other than the historical implications that is.”

The labcoat men turned and glanced at Hitler as if to get his permission to answer the question. He nodded.

“They may interfere with out own project, which we have just initiated. The project will take months to complete and we cannot afford the risk that they may accidentally succeed.”

“Your project?”

“That is on a need to know basis,” Hans replied. “Right now, you don’t need to know.”

“If I am going to take my team back through time and all that it implies, I need to know.” Monday sent Hans a defiant look.

“We are using our technology, and the power of the jewels, to rotate the axis of the Earth,” Hitler firmly stated. “In six months or so, Antarctica, or New Germany, will be located at the same coordinates as Old Germany. Our scientists say this can be done in such a way that the tectonic plates will not be effected and destructive volcanic activity will be eliminated.”

Dom stood and glared down at the men around the table. “You do realize that billions will still die from flooding, starvation and freezing to death, not to mention the trauma it will cause?”

Hitler shook his head. “That is a price we are willing to pay. New Germany will eventually be a paradise on earth. A place without war, without hunger, and without fear. We are creating the perfect society that will allow humankind to live together in peace and harmony.”

Monday’s face mirrored the shocked look on Daria’s.

© Copyright 2010 Oldwarrior (oldwarrior at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1669151-PARADOX---Chapter-53