*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1669164-Cruentus-the-angel
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Fantasy · #1669164
the untold fiction of angels rebeling against god.
CRUENTUS THE ANGEL

BY

T.C. ELOFSON



I

Cruentus stood outside the stone angel sanctuary on the mountain top of Benevolentia. It stood with high marble and granite columns that held up a grand carved archway of gold. A sky of a brilliant blue and a sun of glowing yellow sat in the horizon painting joy over the land and onto the angel sanctuary. Cruentus stood perplexed and troubled as many of the other angels approached him.

Impello his second and closest friend, an angel of flowing yellow hair and flawless features walked up the long stone steps from the foothills of Paradise.

“What troubles you my friend?” he asked Cruentus. But he would not answer his question he just looked down over the cliffs of paradise down to the world.

“Look at those fools they are actually building a monument to worship him now,” Cruentus said. “Up until this point people of the world just believed in themselves for hope in their lives together.”

“He’s been showing himself to the people of this world again?” asked Impello.

“Yes, first to that group of gatherers, then to the cave people in the hills, now it’s the people of Göbekli Tepe.”

“He keeps changing his appearance to fit their visions of God?” Impello said.

“Yes, every time.” Cruentus said. “It’s not right, he has only one true face and they should not be allowed to view it.”

***

The land of Mesopotamia or the land between two rivers rumbled as the Euphrates basin filled with the bodies of dying men. The water red and stain with death washed up onto the land as men fought forward in a war for conquest but a war that had started for their god. Thousands of men lay dead and dying in the sands of the land.

Cruentus and Impello watched as the soul of the world fought over their God. Cruentus turned and looked at the face of his fellow angel.

“You see now they are killing themselves over him.”

“Thousands dead,” Impello added.

Cruentus then stormed back in to the sanctuary. Impello climbed the long steps and followed him through the archway of the building.

“We must do something,” Cruentus said.

“What can we do? He is God he has created all of this,” Impello responded.

Cruentus stood silent resting his hand on his long broad sword that sat at his hip, his golden chest plated armor shinned as the light of the sun beamed through the round columns of the sanctuary. He was frustrated at the actions of his God. Yes he created this place but it is for the angels and the reborn souls of the world to live in. did he have a right to challenge the decision of his God? Yes he was curtain he did.  God was changing his every appearance and creating religions all over the world all developing religions for him. Yes he was his god, he was everyone’s God but Cruentus was certain he did not have the right change himself.

“He’s God if they can’t accept him for what he is then they don’t deserve this place,” Cruentus said finally.

“What can we do?” asked Impello.

“I don’t know what we can do, if only we could get to him. Talk to him for a moment.”

“How can we possibly do that?”

“We gather, tonight at the court.”

“What?” asked Impello once more.

“Tonight when he raises the moon, gather the oldest power angel here,” Cruentus said. “Go my friend and do it.” Impello gave him a node of his head and disappeared out of the sanctuary. Cruentus watched his friend took to the sky with his long white wings held above his body. Cruentus was planning on rebelling against his god and act he knew might get him destroyed. No violence had ever been committed to God by one of his angels, ever. The power angels had one job to protect the world from demons that might want to destroy Gods creation. He felt he has been a loyal angel of God for all of time, but he needed to get to him and open his eyes for what he is doing, but God is protected by an army of his own angels getting to him would not be easy.

Cruentus stood inside the sanctuary, angels all around him. The day had turned to night and the empty floor of the court now filled with the voices of the angels. Cruentus raised his hand and silenced the room. Impello stood next to Cruentus as Accendo and Dementis his brother, walked into the court. The two were the most destructive and determined angels in the gathering, Gods finest power angels. Cruentus thanked them with a bow of his head and they took their seats next to several of the other angels in the room.

After looking around the room and seeing that the attention was solely onto him Cruentus took a long cleansing breath and spoke, “We have all gathered here today for one reason, because you all think just as I do, that god has taken this too far. I feel he would listen to reason if only we could get to him. Now he has an army of his finest angels at the gates of his palace. For the first time the blood of our brothers will be spilt in paradise.”

The angels fell silent not knowing what to say. Most of them felt as Cruentus did, but was such action necessary to get the attention of God, and does God really need the opinion of a bunch of angels to determine the policies for the afterlife of the humans on the world below. Many angels remained unspoken in the matter as Cruentus was a powerful angel and wheeled many powerful other angels close to him. He had the ears and attention of the commanders of the angel armies and he intended to use them.

“Dementis, what do you and your brother have to say about all of this?” asked Impello best friend of Cruentus. Dementis stood up tall with his long wings tucked behind him and with his gold chest plate still dented and cut from many battles defending this land in the name of his lord. He stood erect, placed his hand on his long sword handle as if he was bracing himself and the he addressed the group.

“Brothers, we are the most powerful angels in all of paradise, we must be heard, and we will be heard. One way or another he will listen to our concerns, after all the future of their world and ours is being affected.” He spoke like a leader of confidence and pride and even Cruentus wanted to follow him, but it was he they looked to for guidance and he would never let them down.

“We will put it to a vote,” said Cruentus. “With a show of hands who is with us?”

Eyes darted around the room for only a brief moment as the undecided ones were unsure how to vote, but soon decided to follow the angels of influence.

Every power angel in the room raised their hands high and with that it was decided that they would rebel against their God and storm the walls of the palace. Most knew that they would not get very far, and it was silently understood that this would be an attack upon the holy palace of their Lord. Most would be either killed in the attack or put to death, but maybe in the process they could plead their case to their God. This attack would not be for nothing.

“Then send word to the commanders to prepare,” Cruentus then said without facing the men. The angels silently got to their feet and began to talk amongst themselves about the coming battle and made their preparations for an attack.

Cruentus stood and walked over and positioned himself between two of the large pillars of the room like a general overlooking his battlefield. The moon was high over the mountain and he could see the glow of Gods palace in the distance. It could have been a distant stronghold of a threatening enemy, but it was the home of his God, the one he was sworn to protect. He may never step foot in this place again after this day is over. Is he doing the right thing, what is the right thing he asked himself, he no longer had the answer for him or anyone else. He felt in his heart that he must make this sacrifice for everyone else.

Acerbus, one of Gods most trusted angels suddenly walked into the room. He stepped out of the darkness of the night and addressed the rebellious group.

“What is the meaning of this Cruentus?” he asked. “I have heard word that you are getting ready to rise up against God.”

“Yes.” Acerbus was an angel conflicted with his beliefs. Yes he had a high posting in Gods court, but at the same time from time to time he has also felt as Cruentus did. But Acerbus would never rise up against his Lord God in such a way.

“It is my duty to stop you, Cruentus,” Acerbus said. Then dozens of the angels stood to their feet drew their swords and readied themselves. Finally Cruentus put his hand up and stop the angels so he may speak.

“Acerbus, won’t you please join us?”

Acerbus looked around the room and saw how Cruentus halted the attack on him then he spoke, “That is some power you weld over them I hope you use it well and not for your own greed.”

“I ask you again, will you join us?”

“I will not, you will have to destroy me,” he declared.

“I have no wish to destroy you, brother,” Cruentus said. “But I must have your pledge that you will not interfere with us in any way, if you do I will spare you.”

The angel stood in the doorway for a long moment wanting no more than to live through this and then reluctantly said, “Agreed, Cruentus, your fate will be your own.”

Cruentus looked around the room, Power angel stood at every doorway and window looking out to the land. Their wings held high off of the ground and their backs straight as boards. They said very little to one another as they gazed out to their homeland some maybe for the last time. Cruentus took a few steps away from his spot in the moon light and addressed the group of angels.

“We may very well die in the morning so go and enjoy this land that has been our home for as long as we can remember. Breath in every last bite of pleasure you can and when the sun rises tomorrow we will fight. Go.”

He watched as the angels silently made their way out of the sanctuary and disappeared into the land. He looked over to see Acerbus standing before him and he could tell be his gaze that he was trying to decide what his options might be.

“Acerbus, please join me for a drink,” Cruentus said. He turned away from the large columns as his wings reached outward as if he was stretching his arms. He headed to a higher level of the sanctuary where a stone table sat with a bottle of wine.

Acerbus watch the angel move with elegance and confidence and was amused for a moment at the man that his long time friend had grown to be. His mind suddenly took him back to a simpler time in his life when the two were young new soldiers of god, and the closest of friends. They had fought many battles side by side and both had been recognized many times by their lord but it was Acerbus that was chosen to preside next to his God. He suddenly missed the closeness that they once shared as friends and was suddenly happy to be alone with him once more.

Acerbus walked up several large marble steps and took his seat on a soft velvet pillow that sat upon a stone bench opposite of his friend Cruentus. A stone bottle of red wine and two cups sat between then on the table. Cruentus reached forward and took up the bottle and filled the cups with the contents of the bottle before speaking.

“I have missed you my friend,” Cruentus said finally.

“Me too, it has been far too long since we had a chance to do-.”

“I wish it didn’t take such events to get you to call on me,” Cruentus said interrupting his words. Acerbus sat silently for a moment, a little hurt by his comment and a little guilty.

“I’m sorry, but God keeps me very busy.”

“You were able to get away for today?”

“Yes, I was sent away on an errand but he will soon miss me if I don’t get back,” Acerbus said.

“I’m sorry my friend I can’t let you leave. You must stay here at the sanctuary.”

“Why are you doing this Cruentus? This makes very little sense; you can’t really think you will even get close to our Lord do you?”

“We must try, now drink your wine,” he said as he brought his cup to his lips and drank down the wine. “I hope I see you again my friend and if I don’t I’m sorry it had to go this way good bye,” Cruentus said finally and then got up and turned away from him to take his leave.

“Good bye Cruentus my good friend you will be missed.”



II

The sun was starting rise over the horizon of Paradise and a gentle breeze blew through the pillars of the angel sanctuary on the mountain top of Benevolentia. Fields of yellow and red flowers swayed to the rhythmic breezes of the wind as a hundred power angel ran down the long stone steps that led to paradise. Their cries and screams were heard for miles and miles, suddenly their long beautiful wings opened up and caught the cool crisp wind caring them up into the sky. Hundreds of longed winged angel flew high over head their golden armor shinning of the rays of the sun like diamonds falling from the sky.

Cruentus held his long golden sword in his hands as his wings flapped, pushing him closer and closer the army of God. He still was not sure this was the right thing to do but his army was on his way, either way he needed to get to his lord or he might as well kill himself now. As Cruentus came over the last hill a massive blast of light knocked him from the sky. He was pushed to the ground of paradise with such great force. He closed his eyes as tight as he could, clenched his jaw and crashed into a massive rock-face of a mountain and tumbled into a field of long yellow straw. Everything was going blurry he tried to open his eyes but it seemed very difficult. It took every bit of power he had and as he did he saw dozen of angels thrown from the clouds and smash into the ground around him. He lay on his back in a field that shook over and over again as angel after angel fell from the sky. Suddenly the sky turned red and the ground shook and rumbled again. An army of a thousand Power angels flew down to them, God’s army.

Cruentus and Impello climbed to their feet and charged the attacking angels. With Cruentus’ blade out once more he brought his wings up caught the wind for a moment then let go, he dove down on an attacking angel, landed on top of him pushing his blade through his shoulder and jump back up. Dozens of angels surrounded Cruentus as he held his ground. They ran at him their blades and spears swing for their mark. With great speed Cruentus spun around them his blade fluttering in waves of spraying blood. Screams of anguish and pain rose up from the field now soaked red with the blood of his brothers. Angels moved in close to Cruentus as he spread his wings wide and in a great spinning motion knocked them to the ground. He ran up to several of them and plunged his blade deep into their bodies spilling their blood onto the grass.

Impello grabbed up a long spear off of the ground, spun around in a sweeping motion with the tip of the spear out, knocking many of the angels to the dirt. He jumped up very high into the air and as he came down, threw his broad sword with his mighty power. It rocketed back to earth and found its mark in the chest of an angel, knocking him to the grass. The wind blew against Impello’s face as he fell back to the ground still holding on to the long spear. He forced the blade down and put all his falling weight into it as it impaled one of Gods elite power angels pinning him to the landscape. The man screamed out in pain as Impello grabbed up his sword and charged the attacking army once again.

Accendo held two short straight blades in his hands as he ran into a wall of attacking angels. His skills and tales of bloody destruction were well known to the attacking angels so they grouped together in an attempt to disable the angel. He ran at them and screamed at the top of his lungs as he cut threw their line like a hot knife through butter. His blades swung out wildly throwing streams of blood into the air. A man ran at him with a spear held high and Accendo stepped in low to the man and sliced through his legs dropping the angel to the ground. Accendo held his blades upside down and spun around like an out of control top his short swords chopping and slicing through the long wings and soft flesh of the angels around him. Within a moment the field had been spray with blood and bodies of dead and dying angels littered around him.

Suddenly the remaining forces of god’s army charged forward and a thousand power angels flooded over the remaining rebels like tidal-wave wiping all to their knees.

***



Acerbus stood next to one of the pillars and watched as the sea of angels crushed the rebel angels completely. They flooded over the small group of angel without effort it seemed to him. He was saddened that some of them might have been killed he considered some of them his friends and what of Cruentus he held onto hope he would be all right.

God needed him not; he had not failed after all. Acerbus had been concerned that not stopping the angels before they attacked would have had consequences, he was right. Suddenly a storm of angels ran into the empty sanctuary and surrounded him. Acerbus looked around at the men; his wings down in a non-threatening way. His mouth hung open for a moment as he waited for the men to speak.

“Acerbus, you are here relieved of all power and will be taken back to your God, our lord at once,” said one of the angels as Acerbus was grabbed up and his wings bound with ropes to prevent him from flying. He was immediately taken from the place, back to God for the upcoming sentencing of the rebellion.





III

God stood looking much like Zeus or Odin or any other of the great faces he decided to show himself as, and looked down onto his court. He stood at the top of a great stairway and watched as his returning army brought the remaining rebels into the palace. The sun beamed in brilliant light through the hundreds of round pillars that made up an elaborate entryway of the front of the palace and through shadows everywhere. The thunderous sound of marching footsteps echoed off of the marble flooring of the Gods court, and thousands upon thousands of angels and souls stood inside the palace as the prisoners were brought before them and God.

Yells and screams grew loud as the rebel angels were brought into the room, covered in the blood of their brethren. The walls began to tremble and shake as the screams became louder and louder, suddenly the room fell silent. With one wave of his hand God had silenced the screams of the people who wanted justice for the unwarranted attack of the palace. The people of paradise stood silent and made no sounds as they looked upon the angels before them.

Are they evil? Are they misguided? Why would they do such a horrible thing against their own God? God had given them power and respects in this land, why would they do such a thing the people wondered as they looked over their faces.

God took one step forward and for a moment did not say a word, then spoke.

“Before we get to the rebellion we have another matter we must deal with,” God said as he waved his hand. With a mighty flash of light an angel appeared at the base of the stairs. He would not stand up straight or look up as his God looked down to him, tears streamed down his quivering face. His knees were shaking as he struggled to stand. It was Acerbus the elite angel of God.

“Acerbus, your sting hurts more than any of the rest, so I will deal with you first,” God said. “You knew of this rebellion before it even started yet you did nothing to stop it. You could have saved the life of hundreds of angels today.” Acerbus looked up at his God; his eyes struggled to focus as tears flowed from them. His jaw pushed forward and lips trembled, still he said nothing in justification. He knew he had wronged his God.

“Because of your long loyalty to me and the fact that you were not actually part of the attack on the palace I have decided to go easy on you. Your sentencing is the following; your angelic form will be carded off and you will spend eternity in servitude to the angel Pluto of the underworld.”

Cruentus’ mouth dropped open as he wanted to protest the miss treatment of his friend but he would not say a word, he knew there would be no point to it.

Acerbus looked up and began to shake his head in protest, his eyes got wide then suddenly his soft white skin began to blacken before the eyes of everyone in the room. A burst of red hot flames engulfed the angel and he fell to his knees in pain his body contorted this way and that as he burned black on the floor. A black thick smoke filled the room it swirled around like snakes running for cover until the angel climbed to his feet he stood blacked to a crisp his beautiful white wings now blackened from the flames now looking like the creature he would become, Death was born at that moment. Then in another flash he was gone again. The room had fallen silent as all the eyes stared at the blackened, charred stain of the floor where only a moment before the angel had lain.

God finally walked down the white stone steps and came before the rebellious angels and waited only moments before he spoke with thunderous volume.

“You group of angles have defied you’re God. From this moment on you will be banished from this place and all knowledge of you is from this moment gone. It is forbidden to ever speak of this event and any angle to do so will suffer the same fate. You are no longer child of paradise; your angelic forms will be stripped from you forever.”

***

Then everything went black and one by one over the span of a thousand years the one hundred and twenty two angels that remained after the attack and rebelled against God on that day fell from the sky and rocketed to earth never to return.

Cruentus felt the blackness around him he could not move his body and not knowing how many years it had been since he was in limbo from his sentencing, a few hundred most likely. Then suddenly he felt himself fall. He opened his eyes as wind pushed against his face with great power. His lips were shaking from the force. The ground was coming faster and faster, he tried to spread his wings but he had none. Then the blackness hit him again, and all he could her was the crying, the crying of a small baby. He had been reborn. 

© Copyright 2010 T.C. Elofson (elofson at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1669164-Cruentus-the-angel