*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1669839-Entry-to-my-new-story
by Gemma
Rated: ASR · Fiction · Action/Adventure · #1669839
This is my first draft to a new story I'm writing. Any reviews appreciated and returned!
PROLOGUE

          I woke up. It was pitch black and the moon was full in the night sky. I slipped out of bed and crept across the hall. There was silence save for the sound of my feet creaking along the wooden floor towards my parent’s room. It was empty and the bed was made. I walked in and looked around, the wardrobe was bare and the drawers were empty.

        “They’re long gone.“ I thought to myself as I left. I searched around the house but I was the only one there. My parents and two sisters were nowhere to be found. I was on my own…


Chapter 1
          Several days previously my father had received news that there was some work still available in the mines over in Samenka.

“It would take at least a month just to get there. Not to mention trying to get through the Wastelands. But what choice to we have? There’s no work left here and as soon as winter comes I won’t be able to hunt. If I don’t take this opportunity we could all starve.” My Father pressed, the tension present in his voice.

“Is there no other way?“ My mother glanced over at my two sisters, “You know what happens to children who are caught in the Wastelands. You won’t be able to protect all of us on your own.”

          I was sitting at the table as they spoke and I wondered whether or not they would go. They were desperate. For a long time my parents had been looking for a way out of here. With little food to go around it had long been a dangerous place to live. Our neighbours wouldn’t think twice over killing someone for trying to steal a shoelace, let alone what they did to people who were caught stealing food. It would be dangerous to travel to Samenka though. My parents knew this and we had already seen what could happen to people who left.

          A year previously our neighbours the Bannerman’s had tried to get to one of the Northern cities. Mr Bannerman thought it would be safer there and so he took his family and left town. A week later, his son, Scott, came running back into town. They family had run into a group of Agents who were patrolling the highway. You had to get permission from them to use it but Mr Bannerman refused to. He had always had a hatred of them. They couldn’t give the Agents the permission passes so they were dragged away and shot. Mr Bannerman and his wife. Scott hid under their truck as soon as they saw the Agents coming. The only thing that surprised people over this event was that he managed to survive at all.

            He still lives in their old house. It’s only a five minute walk from ours and is situated just opposite the forest. After his parents were killed a few newcomers attempted take over his property and Scott had violently retaliated. Out of the three that tried only two came crawling back. My parents were worried that he might hurt my sisters as they frequently went past his house to get to the forest. I thought that they worried over nothing. Why would Scott waste bullets shooting my sisters when they could be better used hunting down animals for food?

                  As I was pondering this, my uncle came storming into the kitchen.

“Get out!” He glared at me and I ducked out. My uncle was not the most polite of men. Especially not towards me. My sisters soon followed suit although they were not told to get out in the same manner. I shoved them outside and after they were gone I stuck my ear to the door and listened.

“Why do you still keep her here?” My uncle asked.

“What else can we do? Chuck her out? We can’t do that she’s still our daughter.” My father replied.

“Oh sure she is. But you know what else she is don’t you? Huh don’t you?!” My uncle demanded.

“Don’t say it. For goodness sake we’ve been through this dozens of times before. I don’t need you to tell me what she is.” My father answered angrily.
“Fine. But don’t say I didn’t warn you.” My uncle steamed.

“Alright. Alright. We understand. What are you doing here anyway? I thought you and a few others were going hunting.” My father enquired.

“We were gonna but there’s nothing left to hunt. We can’t go too far into the forest it’s too dangerous and the rest of the area’s been picked clean. That’s why I came here. There’s gonna be a meeting at the hall. To decide what the hell we’re gonna do. Winter’s coming up and there’s no way the town will survive it this year. There’s just too many of us and there isn’t enough to go around. We’ll end up killing each other soon you mark my words, unless we figure something out.” My uncle explained wearily.

“Well…I guess we better tell you something then Frank. I’ve come to a decision. Me and my family are gonna leave. There’s work available over in the mines in Samenka. It’ll be safer if more than one family goes. Do you want to join us? The council are fools! They won’t be able to think up a solution and you know it. Heck, this may be our only option.” My father stated and I could hear the familiar creak of his chair as he stood up.

“Damn. I guess you’re right Jake. What other choice do we have? The trip will be dangerous though. I know a few other people we should ask to come along. Other than them we should keep this little plan to ourselves. Otherwise the wrong people may get wind of it. Just keep your trap shut during the town meeting. I gotta go now I left Sally on her own. We’ll talk about this after the meeting. It’s on at 6 so don’t you be late. See ya.” With that I heard the backdoor slam shut as my uncle left.
© Copyright 2010 Gemma (gemstone123 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1669839-Entry-to-my-new-story