*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1671096-Progress-2nd-Place
Rated: E · Short Story · Technology · #1671096
Monica found it strange the lights were out in the technology exhibit...
“And here we have the technology exhibit.” Monica waved her hand toward an opening in the wall. The room appeared dark.

“That’s strange. The lights are out in there. Stay right here kids.”

Ms. Wikki, their teacher, put her finger to her lips. The fourth graders obeyed, except Blake who kept pushing his best friend, James. Ms. Wikki unleashed her infamous stare and the boys begrudgingly complied.

Monica entered the darkness, with only a computer screen flickering in the far corner. She hated that the light switch was located near the exit into the next exhibit, robotics. She knew the room well. She wasn’t the type to scream, but something just seemed ‘off’ – and it was more than the lights. She flipped the switch. Nothing.

She wondered how the computer was still running. She sat in front of the flickering screen. ‘Enter Encryption Key’ it displayed.

“What’s going on?” She whispered. “What the devil is an encryption key?”

“An encryption key is a form of security that turns information into unreadable cipher. Input is required,” The SC4000 replied.

“Input?” Monica inquired. She began typing on the keyboard.

“Wrong input,” SC4000 rebutted.

She began clicking items on the screen with the mouse.

“Wrong input.”

“Well what other input is there other than a keyboard and mouse?”

“A.I. 1000 will show you.”

“What’s an A.I…,” Her voice trailed off as she realized what was in the next exhibit.

The fire alarm began to sound. Glowing red eyes appeared beside her. Monica screamed but the alarm was too loud. The robot grabbed her with its steely arms.

“What are you doing? What kind of input?”

The robot came face to face with her as scanners emanated from his eyes. Monica became entranced.

“With your DNA encryption, you will be my slave.”

298 Words

Flash Story Must contain: Scream, Computer, Key

© Copyright 2010 BScholl (the0hawk at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1671096-Progress-2nd-Place