*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1671246-Lesson-No-1---Exercise
Rated: E · Assignment · Educational · #1671246
Lesson # 1 - Exercise - Commanding the Comma
Lesson # 1 Exercise

1. While she studied for exams Sherry decided to order pizza.
Answer: While she studied for exams, Sherry decided to order pizza.
Rule # 2 Introductory Adverbial Clause

2. . Blue Angel posted in the chat room but no one was on line at the time.
Answer: Blue Angel posted in the chat room, but no one was on line at the time.
Rule # 1 Compound Sentences with Coordinating Conjunctions


3. The well-dressed hypocritical Doctor Steve refused to justify his decision to cut off both of the patient‘s arms.
Answer: The well-dressed, hypocritical, Doctor Steve refused to justify his decision to cut off both of the
patient‘s arms.
Rule # 3a Coordinate Adjective

4. Please award the merit badge that applies to her accomplishments.
Answer: Please award the merit badge that applies to her accomplishments.
Rule # 4c Essential Elements

5. The irritating old man kept singing as loud as he could yet American Idol threw him out.
Answer: The irritating, old man kept singing as loud as he could, yet American Idol threw him out.
Rules # 3a Coordinate Adjectives and # 1 Compound Sentence with Coordinating Conjunctions.

6. The dirty dishes which were piled up in the sink made Winnie's kitchen look messy.
Answer: The dirty dishes, which were piled up in the sink, made Winnie's kitchen look messy.
Rule # 4a Non-Essential Elements

7. Before she came home Anastasia stopped for peanut-butter ice cream.
Answer: Before she came home, Anastasia stopped for peanut-butter ice cream.
Rule # 2 Introductory Adverb Clause

8. The moving van containing Tension‘s collection of elves and trolls crashed into the ocean.
Answer: The moving van containing Tension‘s collection of elves and trolls crashed into the ocean.
Rule # 4b Essential Elements

9. The sturdy rocking chair was kept on Sahriv‘s porch.
Answer: The sturdy rocking chair was kept on Sahriv‘s porch.
Rule # 3b Non-Coordinate Adjectives

10. The turkey which we had for Thanksgiving made wonderful sandwiches on Christmas morning.
Answer: The turkey which we had for Thanksgiving made wonderful sandwiches on Christmas morning.
Rule # 4b Essential Elelements



© Copyright 2010 Prof Moriarty (profmoriarty at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1671246-Lesson-No-1---Exercise