*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1671539-The-Vanishment-Chapter-One
Rated: E · Novel · Young Adult · #1671539
A teenager escapes her abusive hometown to discover all the other towns keep disappearing.
Chapter One:
         “To whomsoever finds this book: hidden within its binds are some of the deepest, most profound secrets of all magic. I sent this book out into the world so it could find you. Use its contents well.”
         Alaina Berak’s eyes widened. She slammed the book shut and set it back where she’d found it, nestled in the mud under a dripping fern. Something was wrong. Who in their right mind would leave a book behind in the forest? A book in any form would be worth a small fortune.
         She glanced with uncertainty through the curtain of rain around her and then limped a few feet in each direction, trying to ignore the pain that came from movement. There was no sign of any other person. Overhead, thunder roared and, if possible, the downpour around her increased. Everything suddenly was colder, as if a giant wind had swept around her and turned the rain to ice.
         Frustration overwhelmed her as the pounding in her head came harder and the inside of her right arm throbbed intensely. A quick glance at it showed her small trickles of blood that mingled with the rain that soaked her skin. The vibrant red of the blood brought everything crashing back to her. There had been the first fall, which had left her trembling in front of the giant bear. Arick begged with her to run, but she still couldn’t believe she’d actually left him. Fear had taken over and she’d pounded through the forest until the second fall, which had sent her tumbling down a small mountain.
         And now here she was, in the middle of the forest with no idea which direction led back home. Somewhere in between all that, she’d grazed her arm, twisted her ankle, and received more cuts and bruises than she could count. Now, with the rain wrapping its icy fingers around her, Alaina felt sure she would be sick if she didn’t find help soon.
         Then there was the book to consider. Its appearance was about as unexpected as a bolt of lightning on a cloudless day. Alaina glanced around and then knelt to pick it up again; lifting it from the tiny stream of water the rain had created. Her brow wrinkled in confusion. Somehow, the thick brown cover was completely dry. As she flipped through the book, she realized none of the pages showed signs of water damage. How was that possible?
         She rested her chin on top of the book. There was something special about this discovery, she was sure of it. Her skin prickled at the idea of taking it, but then she hugged it tightly to her chest. If there was someone out there foolish enough to leave something as valuable as a book lying around, Alaina wasn’t one of them. It wasn’t stealing. Finders, keepers. Besides, something like this could finally bring the right kind of change to her life. She hobbled a few feet in each direction, trying to decide which path to take.
         And then she saw it.
         Ten feet away from her the tree line fell away and was replaced with a wide open field that stretched far across her vision until it was cut off by another forest in the distance. At first sight, that field was empty, reaching far out to the sides. But then, Alaina noticed that the raindrops over the field never reached the ground. Instead, they bounced randomly in the air as if they struck solid objects.
         Bewildered, she stumbled forward, stepping from the sketchy shelter of the forest. Within her first two steps out of the tree line, she felt the rain fall harder and more densely. In the distance, lightning raked the skies. Still, Alaina kept her eyes on the bouncing rain ahead of her. Something was wrong. A short distance away, there was a specific line where the rain never hit the ground. Every drop bounced approximately fifteen feet in the air. Curious, she held out her hand and stepped forward. Maybe she was just seeing things. Maybe if she could just feel the rain hit her hand …
         Suddenly, her fingers struck something solid. She scrunched her eyebrows and jumped back in surprise as color burst out around her fingertips like fireworks. A few seconds later, an entire barn had appeared. Beyond that another building was taking shape and another was forming in the field beyond that one. In less than a minute, an entire town was displayed in front of her, and it contained not only buildings, but flesh-and-bone people who ran this way and that seeking shelter from the downpour.
         A chill sliced through her body. What was this? She wondered. What was going on?
         Among the town’s bustling population was one tall man with long brown hair that swept across his forehead. He stopped in the middle of the street, drawing Alaina’s eye. The cold gripped her to the point that she was shivering uncontrollably. Gritting her teeth, she limped toward the man. Whatever this place was, she needed shelter and she needed help.
         “E-Excuse me,” she called to him, her teeth clattering as drops of rain dripped from her eyebrows onto her cheeks. The man didn’t answer. He just stood there, gaping at her, eyes widening further with each painful step she took toward him. She squinted up into his face and started again. “I’m sorry, but I need some help.”
         The man sucked in his breath through his teeth. “A-Are you talking to me?”
         “Yes,” Alaina answered, confused. There was no one else nearby. “Who else would I be talking to?”
         The man grabbed her shoulder. “You can see me?” Before she could answer, he tightened his grip and pulled her with him toward a nearby barn.
         Her injured ankle protested the sudden movement and a wave of nausea swept over Alaina. “Wait,” she yelped, as she stumbled and almost fell to her knees in the street. But he ignored her plea and pushed her in the door of the barn before clattering in behind her and slamming the door shut.
“What are you–” she started to say, trying to twist away from him.
Surprised gasps resounded around them and Alaina suddenly realized they weren’t alone. A small crowd had gathered in the barn to avoid the rain. They stared at her with curious, half-frightened expressions.
“What’s going on?” she asked, warily. She struggled to push the pain to the back of her mind.
Before she could focus her careening thoughts, the brown-haired man shook her hard, upsetting everything all over again. “You can see us?” he asked, gesturing around the room. “You can see all of this?”
         Alaina scrunched her eyebrows against the pain and put a trembling hand to her temple, nodding slowly. “Of course I can. Why wouldn’t I?”
         But he wasn’t paying attention anymore. He leaned further into the barn and sniffed hard. All at once, everyone else sniffed the air and murmuring to themselves. Alaina eyed them suspiciously, wondering just what she’d brought upon herself.
         Abruptly, a sharp, salty smell burned her nostrils. She curled her nose back at the scent.
         Without warning, a dozen sets of hands grabbed for her, clutching and scratching at her clothing and skin. As one, the group pushed her toward the corner of the barn and shoved her into a tall haystack. She twisted and flailed, trying frantically to scramble out of the straw but several people pushed her back in, hastily covering her with wads of hay. Suddenly, an unseen person collapsed heavily on top of her, effectively pinning her under the hay and knocking the air from her lungs.
         Panic wrapped itself around her brain.
         Before she could think to do anything else, a loud cracking sound filled the barn and the weight above her lifted. Alarmed by the sound, Alaina shrank back into the hay, curling her knees up to her chest for warmth. Soon the cracking was replaced by a hiss that seeped into the room. Alaina peered through the hay and saw that a pail of water in the far corner of the room had begun to boil on its own.
         As one, the crowd edged away from the bucket, fear echoing in their eyes.
The hissing sound reverberated through the room and water splashed over the edges of the bucket, sizzling as it hit the ground below. Suddenly, the water splashed high into the air as if slapped by an unseen hand. But instead of falling to the ground, the water froze in mid-air and pooled together to form a smooth and solid, mirror-like surface. Lightning flashed across the face of the water and a pair of eerie, malicious eyes appeared in its center.
         “Where is my payment?” a voice thundered around them, the sound pouring into the room from every corner.
         Alaina flinched. A chill crept over her body, sending shivers down her spine. The pain in her body suddenly seemed more intense now that she was no longer moving. She squeezed her eyes shut to will it away, then finally ground her teeth and strained to look through the hay.
         The brown-haired man stepped forward and addressed those hateful eyes. “Please, Helecia,” he said. “We just need a little bit more time to get it all together.”
         The mysterious voice roared and lightning flew from the water. It struck the man, sending him flying against the haystack where Alaina hid.
“I don’t bargain!” the voice screamed. “Have the payment ready by this time tomorrow or you will be payment!” A thin spiral of smoke curled out of the water’s surface and touched an older woman in the crowd. The woman cried out in dismay and shrank away. Then the eyes disappeared and the water splashed to the ground.
         Inside the haystack, the pounding, throbbing pain began to overwhelm Alaina. She squeezed her eyes shut again and curled even tighter in on her herself, shivering in pain and fear. After a minute, the hay on top of her was shoved aside. The presence of other people was undeniable. Their words were unintelligible. Within a matter of moments those voices faded to faint murmurs that echoed in her brain as darkness fell completely.

                                                                              *    *    *
         
         When Alaina awoke, she found herself stretched out on a comfortable, warm bed. Moving slowly, she sat up and felt her forehead. There was a bandage there, similar to the ones that now wrapped her arm and ankle. The throbbing pain was still present but it was very faint  – an afterthought at the back of her brain.
         Curious, she took in the room around her. She lay on a cot that had been shoved to the back of a small space. There were two long dressers lining the walls on either side of her. Settled neatly on top of each dresser were containers of oils and perfumes. Scattered in between them were incenses of different sizes and shapes and pretty bowls of potpourri. It was the nicest smelling room she’d ever been in.
         “How’s she doing?”
         A man’s voice drew Alaina’s attention to the door. The sound came from the other room.
         “Oh, well, she’s doing fine. The fever broke quite a while ago,” a woman answered. Her anxious, punctuated steps followed him through the house. “Listen, Jadyn, about the payment–”
         The brown-haired man poked his head through the door and saw Alaina staring back at him. “We’ll talk about it later, Sarah.”
        “But-”
“Shh,” he said quietly. “She’s awake.” He stepped into the room. A short woman with graying hair scuttled in behind him. She bit her nails feverishly and her eyes darted wildly about the room. There was something familiar about her that Alaina couldn’t quite place.
         However, it was to this Jadyn-person that she found her attention drawn. She didn’t appreciate the way he eyed her as if he could discern her character and attitude by the way she looked. He analyzed her stringy, too-long black hair and her skinny frame. A blush filled her face. She knew she wasn’t the prettiest person in the world but did he have to stare at her that way?
         “How are you feeling?” he finally asked.
         “Better,” answered Alaina, scooting to the edge of the bed while she kept her eyes down. “Thanks for taking care of me.”
         He gestured to the older woman. “You can thank Sarah for that.” As he spoke, Sarah sat down beside Alaina and checked her bandages. Alaina smiled weakly at her. “She’s been watching over you all night. You look like you’ve been through quite a lot.”
         “What do you mean, all night?” Alaina repeated, alarmed. “How long have I been here?”
         Jadyn shrugged. “A little more than half a day. It’s still early morning.”
         The blood drained from her face. “More than h-half a day?” she jerked to her feet, wincing as she put weight on her ankle. “That means I’ve been gone an entire day … and it’s going to take at least half a day to get back,” she muttered to herself. She glanced back at Sarah and Jadyn. “I-I’m sorry but I’ve got to go.”
         “What?” Sarah exclaimed, jumping to her feet in astonishment. “No! You can’t go. Jadyn, you can’t just let her leave!”
         “What?” Alaina asked, warily. “Why not? What’s going on?”
         Jadyn shook his head and frowned down at her. “Nothing. Don’t worry about it.” He raised a hand to quiet Sarah. “She’s not the one,” he hissed at the older woman and turned back to Alaina. “Come on.” He turned and guided Alaina toward the door with a hand on her back.
         “Wait, I had a book,” Alaina said, spinning abruptly and searching the room with her eyes. “Where’s my book? I need my book.”
         “Calm down,” Jadyn said. “It’s right here.” He picked the book up off a nearby counter and held it out to her.
         She snatched the treasured item from him and clutched it to her chest. Only then would she let him guide her to the door.
         Out on the street, Alaina found the rain had dissipated, leaving behind an aroma of dew and mist that lingered on everything. The sun was coming up over one hill, rejuvenating the valley by adding a touch of heat to the crisp morning air. All around her she saw the town waking up. The town’s people walked out their doors or sauntered down the street, going about their business. The only thing was no one was actually going about their business. Each and every person around the town abruptly stopped what they were doing the moment they saw her crossing the street. The ring of the blacksmith’s hammer fell to a deadening silence; the call of the baker selling his pastries was cut off midstream.
Alaina’s skin itched under their staring eyes. She stared around her, then back at Jadyn who didn’t seem to notice anything amiss. Dropping her eyes, she scooted a little closer to him and shoved her hands in her skirt pockets.
         Before long, however, there was no way to ignore the town’s attention. The further she and Jadyn walked, the more people stopped and stared after them. Very quickly, those stares turned to whispered mutterings amongst themselves.
         A creepy chill worked its way down Alaina’s spine. “What is this place?” she asked Jadyn in a whisper.
         “This is Boeme,” he answered. Alaina waited for more of an explanation, but Jadyn would offer no more.
         She stared behind them as people worked their way into the street. At first they just seemed to be trying to get a better look. But as more and more people joined them, they began to follow Alaina and Jadyn, a loud murmur rising from their numbers.
         “Where is she going, Jadyn?” The first person shouted out. Suddenly they were surrounded, voices shouting all around them, their path effectively barred.
         “You can’t let her leave!”
         “Please, you must help us!”
         The town’s people clutched at Alaina’s sleeves, trying to grab her hands. Within a few seconds, a small mob had grown and was pressing in on them, shouting and muttering together.
         Alaina slapped at the hands and turned in circles, trying to get away from the crowd. Fear built at the back of her throat. What did they want with her?
         Finally, Jadyn raised his hands to his lips and let go a high-pitched whistle that stopped the group in their tracks. “Now hold on everyone! Let’s not get carried away. Be reasonable. She can’t help us.”
         Help them? Alaina thought. What was he talking about?
         “What do you mean she can’t help us?” someone cried. “Why not?”
         Jadyn stepped in front of Alaina, pushing her away from the group.
         “Excuse me,” she said quietly from behind his back.
         “She’s too young,” Jadyn answered the group. “She wouldn’t be able to handle it.”
         Another voice yelled from the back of the mob. “No one’s been able to see us for two years. What if she’s the only one who can help us?”
         “Excuse me,” Alaina repeated a little louder.
         Jadyn shook his head adamantly. “You’re wrong. Someone else will come along. She’s not the one.”
         “Excuse me!” Alaina yelled. The crowd fell silent. “Will someone please tell me what’s going on?”
         Jadyn sighed and glanced at her, hesitating. Finally, he grasped her arm and led her away from the crowd. “Come on. I’ll explain.” He turned back to the group. “Please get back to your business. Taya?” He caught the eye of a pretty blond at the back of the crowd. “Will you please talk to the guys about the payment? I’ll be there in a minute.”
         The woman nodded and left with three other men. The rest of the crowd remained on the sidewalk, talking amongst themselves.
         Something suddenly clicked at the back of Alaina’s memory. “Wait a minute. Payment? Last night in the barn. The water … that voice. What was that?”
         Jadyn sighed again and kept walking. “I told you, I’ll explain everything.”
He led Alaina around the side of a building and gestured toward a chopped tree trunk a short distance away. Alaina perched on its edge, and watched him pace back and forth distractedly. He had a soft face, she decided, for someone who looked so worried. His shoulder-length brown hair swept gracefully across his forehead, constantly falling in his eyes. Alaina grinned to herself. There was something about his hair; she felt sure she would be able to recognize it from a mile away. Its full, voluminous wave accentuated his broad shoulders and tall frame. He looked as if he could move mountains with those shoulders.
For now, though, he was content to stroke his chin thoughtfully, eyeing her sideways every now and then. “What’s your name?” he finally asked.
         “Alaina.”
         Jadyn nodded. “Listen, Alaina. There’s really nothing for you to worry about. They all just got a little excited, that’s all.”
         Alaina crossed her arms and stared him down with an irritated glare, any remnant of a smile wiped from her face. “I’m not an idiot. Will you just tell me what’s going on?”
         Jadyn walked to the stump and sat beside her resignedly. “Do you live around here?”
         She nodded. “Briarton. Just on the other side of the mountain.”
         “Well, about two years ago, if you remember, there was a really dense, heavy rain that fell around these parts.”
         Alaina nodded. “Yeah, I do remember. It didn’t hit us real hard but I remember seeing a lot of rain in this direction.” She shook her head at the memory. “Those were some of the darkest, nastiest-looking clouds I’ve ever seen. It rained for a good two weeks, if I remember right, and we’ve only had a few good rains since.”
         “Well, you’re thinking about the right storm, that’s for sure.” He picked a piece of grass from the ground and rubbed it thoughtfully between his fingers. “Ever since it stopped, it’s like our town just disappeared off the map. No one’s been able to see or hear us.” He nodded to a thin line in the grass at the edge of town. “We’re all trapped to the borders of Boeme. We’re prisoners in our own town.”
         “I don’t understand,” Alaina said, turning to face him with her arms crossed. “How is that possible? How could an entire town disappear without a trace?”
         Jadyn gestured to a set of three towers that stretched out of the trees at the opposite end of town. “That’s how.”
         Alaina blinked in surprise. The forest on that side of town was withered and brown. Every part of it looked dreary and desolate, as if it would be impossible to find life there. The trees were collapsed in on top of each other and their branches sagged as if they lacked the strength to sit upright.
         Alaina was sure the forest hadn’t looked like that when she’d seen it yesterday. The sorrowful mood of the scenery was punctuated with three black towers that stretched far in the sky. Those hadn’t been there before. The towers were cold and dark; too dark even for the dying forest that surrounded them.
         “What are they?” she asked in a whisper.
         Jadyn sighed. “They belong to a castle inhabited by a powerful sorceress named Helecia. She was the one who created that storm. While all of us sought shelter in our homes she used her magic to make the town invisible to outsiders.”
         “Her magic?” Alaina asked with raised eyebrows. “Magic like abracadabra magic?”
         Jadyn faced her and crossed his arms, leaning back against the barn. “No. Much, much worse than that. For the most part things were fine at first, even after the invisibility. But then, she started demanding payments from us. If we can’t make the payment on time she chooses someone to make the ultimate sacrifice.”
         Alaina’s eyes widened. “Sarah? She was the one chosen yesterday, wasn’t she?”
         Jadyn nodded. “Yes,” he said, pausing. “So, you begin to understand why this is so important to everyone? Those people back there,” he nodded in the direction of the street. “They want your help because we’re trapped here, unable to help ourselves against her powers. We’re subject to anything she wants.”
         Alaina shook her head slowly, her eyebrows scrunched together. “Magic like that doesn’t exist.”
         Jadyn squinted at her in confusion. “You don’t believe in magic? How is that possible?”
         Alaina shook her head and took a step back from him. “Why should I believe in it? Magic only exists in fairy tales. I’ve never seen anything to prove it’s real. I know there are people, like you, who believe in it but that sort of thing always leads to trouble.”
         Jadyn shook his head in disbelief. “How can you think like that? Magic isn’t something you get to choose to believe in. It simply is. Let me ask you a question,” he said. “When you came out of the woods yesterday, were you able to see Boeme right away?”
         Alaina dropped her eyes but didn’t answer.
         Jadyn nodded knowingly. “We weren’t here and suddenly, somehow, we were. Some way or another you were able to see us when no one else has. If that doesn’t prove my story I don’t know what does.”
         Alaina knew he was right even if she didn’t want to admit it. The enormity of Boeme’s situation suddenly struck her. She clutched her book tighter against her chest and glanced back at the trees. On the other side of that forest was a life she wasn’t too eager to continue. But to immerse herself in a world of magic? Her father would never allow it.
         Sighing, she glanced up at Jadyn. “I’m sorry. I wish I could help, but I can’t. I have to go home.”
         Despite his earlier objections, Jadyn’s face was touched with disappointment. He chuckled uneasily and shook his head. “I know. That’s what I was trying to tell them. You can’t help us.”
         Alaina bristled at the comment. “That’s not it,” she insisted. “I could help you. I-I just can’t.”
         Jadyn waved her off. “Listen, don’t worry about it. It’s like I told them. You’re not the one. Someone else will come along.”
         He fell in step with her as they walked together toward the trees. Alaina glanced back at Boeme. Several people stood at the edge of town; their disappointed stares followed her.
         She stopped abruptly, realizing Jadyn no longer walked by her side. They had reached the line in the grass and he stood, smirking and shuffling his feet on the other side.
         “You’ve never been this far from home, have you Alaina?” he asked. She shook her head. “Briarton’s just on the other side of the forest,” Jadyn said. “You should be there late in the day if you keep moving.” He paused and gave her a weak smile. “Don’t worry about us,” he said. “This is our problem. We’ll figure it out.” He turned on his heel and walked back to town without looking back.
© Copyright 2010 Denise Kyle (storyscribbler at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1671539-The-Vanishment-Chapter-One