*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1671540-Chapter-7--The-Blood-Scarab
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: GC · Chapter · Action/Adventure · #1671540
Bedelia is bitten by the Blood Scarab.
Chapter 7 The Blood Scarab. (Saturday)


Pluto arrived at the Woman’s Barracks promptly at Seven O’clock. Bedelia was waiting outside. She wore the dress uniform of an SOF Soldier. On her sleeve were the chevrons of a Buck Sergeant. At fourteen she had beaconed her first patrol and on her chest were the awards and decorations of a seasoned combat veteran. He assisted her into the livery and taking a seat alongside, handed her the reins.

“You said you wanted to learn," he smiled encouragingly.

Taking them in her hands she gave them a nervous shake. “Giddy up,” she said.

The pony stepped off with a jerk and they were soon clipping down the road.

"We’ll turn up here at the corner. Pull on the left one, that’s it, just so Garibaldi gets the idea.”

The pony eased into the corner and continued trotting.

“This is fun," said Bedelia, and her eyes sparkled with excitement.

“Take a right down her at the intersection," instructed Pluto, "Pull back a little, that’s right, slow down a bit, now a gentle tug to the right, and around we go.”

Garibaldi straightened out and continued stepping along.

“Up here is our house, pull back easy, slow down, that’s it, now turn left into the driveway. That’s a girl, now slow down some more, pull back and stop."

He clamored down gathering the reins and secured Garibaldi to the hitching post. Then he went around to Bedelia’s side and taking her by the waist lifted her to the ground. He paused a moment before reluctantly releasing hold.. She looked up at him with a wide eyed grin.

"Are you ready?" he asked,

"Yes indeed," she answered and they walked up the steps and into the house.

Climatis met them at the door. “Welcome to our home," she said warmly. "Please come inside. My husband is in the library finishing up some business, but is eager to meet you."

They walked into the library and Lord Kulrick arose extending his hands.

"It's so nice to meet you, Bedelia. Climatis has been singing your praises, but that was hardly necessary. I’ve been following your career for some time and happened to be in the stands yesterday.”

"Pluto was glad to see you there," said Bedelia, taking his hand.

"I remember my old school days at the HDU. I came close but never managed three in a row."

"You should have had Mom for a partner. Things might have turned out differently,"

"I have no doubt of that, but alas, Vladimir beat me to her, and did they ever open some eyes."

"You have the look of a soldier, Lord Kulrick, and if I didn’t know better would have mistaken you for one."

"I like this girl Son, she has a good eye," he said winking.

"My Dad was at the top of his class at Finsterwald, and Mom was offered a full scholarship to Belmont."

"Dear me, that was over twenty years ago…said Climates. "Imagine me a soldier, no forget that… How the time flies, come everyone, the dinner is served."

In the dining room dinner was waiting on a table for four. The surface was roughly square and the top was polished to a mirror like finish. There were four elegantly carved chairs that appeared almost sculpted to the contours of the diners and guests. Lord Kulrick held a chair for his wife and Pluto did the same for Bedelia. After giving thanks, a bowl of steaming shrimp was served as an appetizer, along with a cup of red sauce that smelled of horseradish.

"Tell me Bedelia," said Lord Kulrick, "I see from your ribbons that you have six special missions to your credit."

"All I did was tag along," she replied, "and transmit what I was told."

"You’re too modest my dear, I know what happened on several and the dispatches spoke of you in glowing terms."

"My commander insisted on saying kind words but the real credit belongs to Captain Standaloft and his men."

“I’ve heard that name,” said Climates. “Olivia mentioned it last week…ah yes I remember now. His mother is her Matriarch, the Witch Cateyln, and Head of the Nirvana Coven.”

“I didn’t know that,” said her husband. “I was told he was raised at Finsterwald by the Templers.”

“They aren’t exclusive. His father was a Templer, I believe she told me. The name has a ring of military tradition to it. What’s he like Bedelia?”

"He’s a respected leader. We all hold him in the high esteem."

“Bedelia will be going on patrol next week,” said Pluto.

“So I hear,” said his father. ",We’ll be holding our breath and anxiously awaiting your return.”

“I don’t know how we got on this subject,” said Climates, “but this is supposed to be an uplifting evening, not a time for discussing war. Did Bedelia give you the braiding we worked together to unravel?”

“It’s around my neck. If it was meant to bring us luck it certainly did yesterday.”

"I was amazed watching the two of you work together…. I mean it looked so effortless, more like a ballet than a war fighting exercise."

"Pluto is a good teacher and I'm lucky to have him for a partner. The scenario is already decided before we step onto the street. All I have to do is follow his lead and the outcome is never in doubt."

"Before you came along he couldn’t get past phase one and since you joined him, you’ve three straight wins. I'd say you have as much to do with it as he does."

"Well spoken, Father… Before I met Bedelia, I couldn’t do anything right.”

"Well you certainly seem to have found the right chemistry. Wouldn’t it be something if you added a fourth to the string?"

“I doubt that will happen,” said Pluto. “Demetrio told me that if we succeeded in the Hat Trick, they would bring in his boss and a whole new group of Visage Operators. No team has ever run six straight and they don’t intend for it to happen on their watch. That, taken with the ever increasing difficulty, should insure our streak doesn’t continue.”

"I think Pluto’s being pessimistic. Trust me; he’ll have some tricks up his sleeve. We’re going to surprise everyone. I’m glad that Miester Demetrio is being replaced. He’s extremely clever and knows all our weaknesses. This new group is in for the surprise of their lives, and my prediction is that we’ll win one or two more before this is over. These, so called experts, will have their hands full trying to figure out what to do with us. Plus, I have a new intermediate bow and I’m beginning to get the heft of it. That will give us more punch when we face the Orcs."

"The Orcs will be a challenge. They were for me, and everyone else for that matter. Devilishly quick and strong they are. The situation changes dramatically when they come onto the field."

"Like Bedelia said, we’ll be ready for them.”

"That’s the spirit, Master Pluto."

"Why does she defer to you?” Asked Lord Kulrick. For the life of him he was unable to figure out why anyone would.

"You’ll have to ask her, Father, but she does it all the time and I find it embarrassing."

"So why do you speak up to him like that?" he asked Bedelia

"Because he commands my respect and obedience, and when I serve his will, the outcome is certain." She said it with such sincerity and commitment that Pluto’s father was amazed.

"Her confidence in you son, is a credit to your relationship." With that the main course arrived.

"I do hope you like the chicken and mushroom sauce. It’s an old family recipe and one of Pluto’s favorites. After dinner I must show you how it’s prepared…. Do you cook?"

"I know little of cooking and have always dined on field rations or been served in the mess hall. However, I would very much like to learn about cooking and sewing too."

"Then you must come and look at my quilts…. I have a collection from my own hand and many who see them, speak well of the composition and needle work. Are you enjoying your meal?"

"The chicken is delicious and I’ve not been this full, since I can remember. Our workouts give me quite an appetite and since meeting Pluto, I must have gained ten pounds. May I have another serving of the potatoes?"

"Indeed you may, and have some more hot rolls and butter."

After the main course came the dessert. It was apple pie.

"Give Bedelia a big slice." said Pluto. "She has a sweet tooth and lately has become a bottomless pit." Bedelia wiped her plate clean and pushed back, her stomach full.

“Let the servants clean off the table. We’ve already kept them later than usual and I know they want to get home. Come into the kitchen Bedelia, I’ll show you how we did the chicken and then the parlor to see my quilts. Darling why don’t you start getting dressed for the Opera? It’s getting on to that time. We have a box reserved and the tenor tonight is Mancuso.” Taking Bedelia by the arm she led her into the kitchen.

“Well, Son, This has been a week that ended well. You did the “Hatter,” we got to meet Bedelia and it led us into this great meal." He yawned, adding in a low voice. "Too bad it has to finish with the Opera.”

“You liked Bedelia, didn’t you?” said Pluto smiling.

“Yes I did! A delightful girl, absolutely delightful. Well suited to you she is, very well suited. You couldn’t have picked a better partner and you’d be a fool to let her get away.”

Pluto was amazed. This had gone much better than he imagined possible.

Climates and Bedeila returned to the drawing room and began discussing the quilts, showcased on the walls and hanging in specially made stands. After a few minutes the clock began chiming and everyone realized the time was becoming a factor.

“Upstairs! Upstairs! Get changed,” she said shooing her husband. “All I need is a wrap and I’m ready to go.”

"I have to have Bedelia back early," said Pluto, "Tomorrow will be a busy day."

Lord Kulrick squeezed her hand. “You were the highlight of the evening and it was charming to make your acquaintance.”

Climatis hugged her. "In three weeks we'll be holding a State Dinner here. I want you both to be present. If you keep winning it will be the social event of the year. Everyone will most anxious for an introduction."

"Thank you for this wonderful evening,” said Bedelia, and taking Pluto’s hand they walked from the dining room and out into the evening air.

They were still keyed up as they walked down the steps and into the drive where the horse and livery were tethered. She turned and he noticed the sway of her buttocks. Putting his hands on her waist he lifted her up onto the seat and then walked around stepping up into the driver’s seat. Taking the reins he gave them a snap and Garabaldi stepped off down the path. He looked over and she was looking back at the house. He watched her breasts as she breathed.

“That could not have turned out any better,” said Bedelia. Nothing I anticipated went wrong and everything that could go right, did.”

“You aren’t the only one surprised,” replied Pluto. You really impressed my father and for once he treated me with a llittle respect."

They turned onto the avenue. Behind them he saw a buggy with the security detail. He looked at her out of the corner of his eye, wondering what it would be like to be married...

She seemed far off, a million miles away, caught up in her own thoughts. Her reveries were broken with the words, “Your father was impressed with you, not so much because of me, but because he’s beginning to see qualities in you he has overlooked.

“You think so?”

“Pluto! He isn’t hard to scan and made no effort to conceal his thoughts. He’s very proud of everything you've accomplished…Further he hopes to start mending some fences.”

“Now there’s a change in attitude. What impressed you most about the evening?”

“How warm and relaxed everyone was…so genuine and open. I felt so welcome and part of everything. I even learned something about Captain Standaloft.”

“His mother dumped him at the Orphans Barracks…can you imagine that?”

“I know… that must have been simply awful for him… and she’s Matriarch of Olivia’s Coven. I can’t help but wonder what that was all about.”

“Yeah, Pluto answered, this evening has me wondering about a lot of things.”

“I know, like my butt, my breasts and what it would be like to be married?”

His breath hitched and he knew he’d been discovered.

“I won’t deny it,” he answered. “All those things. I know you don’t want me to say the “L” word but it describes how I feel… and yes I want to know everything there is to know about you.”

“Are you wondering what a Simian Elf looks like naked? Most everyone else does.”

“You know what I’m wondering about and it has nothing to do with the Simian Part. You know better than to even ask… that was the farthest thing from my mind. The Naked part I won’t deny…”

“Turn here,” she told him

“Why, what have I done wrong now?”

“Just do as I say.”

He turned at the corner.

“You told me to be honest Bedelia; those were your exact words, that I was not supposed to try hiding my thoughts…”

“You think that’s changed?”

“I can’t help thinking guy thoughts…and I’m sorry you had to see them.”

As they approached the next intersection, he asked, “Which way?”

“Back to your house.”

“Why there?”

“Because your parents are gone and the servants have left for the weekend.”

“So?”

“Don't you want to see what I look like without my clothes on?”

“When are you going to realize that thinking and doing are two different things?” he asked, pulling the reins to the left.

“And you can show me what you look like in the buff.”

“Is this really necessary?”

“I think it is, “she answered. “I have a huge advantage being able to read your mind. If there’s something about you I want to know all I have to do is look. Now there’s something about me you want to know and I see no reason for keeping you in suspense.”

He shook the reins. “Giddy up,” he exhorted Garabaldi.

“That and I want to see your bedroom… I want to see where you spend your time when we’re not together…I’ve seen glimpses but I want to walk around it and feel the drapes and the texture of the wood, to lay down on your bed.”

A jolt passed through his heart…

“Put your mind at ease, big Guy. That activity is definitely not on for tonight. You can look all you want, but no touching once we‘re down and dirty. Touching leads to hugging and hugging leads to you know what and that is something I intend to save for my husband.”

“I agree one hundred percent,” he answered, both excited and relieved. They turned into the driveway and he eased the cart to a halt. The security buggy stopped on the avenue. Bedelia stepped down from her side as he tied Garabaldi once more to the hitching post. Bedelia was walking up the pathway.

“Be careful where you step,” he implored her. “Here walk with me and make sure you stay inside the curb stones.”

“What’s all this pathway stuff?” she inquired, “First at Olivia’s and now here.”

“Security measures,” he said leading her up the steps and to the door. Taking out his key he turned the tumblers and took her inside. “My room is upstairs on the right,”

“Leave the key in the door,” she told him.

They walked up the carpeted stairs. She gripped the sculpted banister feeling the warm texture of the wood. At the top they turned into Pluto’s room. It was huge, like something out of a fairy tale. Long flowery drapes in yellow and orange, hung from windows that were ten feet from sill to cornice. There was a rack with a wide selection of antique weapons along one wall and a set of bookcases along the other. Next to a bay window was a large secretary and on the floor was an oriental carpet that ran the length of the room. At the far end was a huge four poster bed and the head board was ornately carved with the heads of sprites,gargoyles and other legendary wood creatures. In delight she ran towards it and leaped into the center. Then she stood on the mattress jumping up and down before throwing herself backward in childish abandon.

“I always dreamed of having such a room and frolicking on the bed.” she told him, “not that I intend for us to do any frolicking… at least not tonight.”

Pluto closed the door. “Should I lock it?” he asked.

“Not a bad idea,” she answered inclining her head. We have company downstairs, but I don’t think we’ll be bothered.”

There was a pause while he looked at her, and at length she sat up on the edge of the footboard.

“Are you ready to proceed?” she asked.

“Have you a particular process in mind?” he answered.

“You take off and I’ll take off… that seems like a fair way.”

He sat down in an overstuffed chair and unlaced first one boot and then the other. Bending his knee he took off one and the sock and repeated the process with the other.”

“While he was about it she removed her own, taking off her socks and rubbing her toes. ”That feels so good,” she said. “Sometimes Albiana and I rub each other’s feet…Hmmmm.”

He stood, unbuttoned his shirt, pulled his arms through, and laid it on the chair.

She undid her blouse, slipped out of it and put it on the bed next to her. She had a cotton T-shirt beneath with short sleeves.

His undershirt was cotton too, but open at the shoulders and held by a folded seam. He took it off exposing a broad hairy chest that tapered down to his hips. Around his neck hung the methril chain attached to what appeared to be a ball of finely wrought filigree. It dwarfed the braid necklace she had given him yesterday.

She removed her under top, pulling it over her bushy golden hair. She shook her head back and forth and it swooshed falling to her shoulders and down about her hips. Her breasts were cupped by a bra, and they looked to be the size of plumbs.

He unbuckled his belt and looked over at her. She nodded for him to continue. Starting with his big waist button he went down the seam undoing the smaller ones. When he finished he stepped out of his britches revealing a loose fitting pair of under shorts. He straightened up and while she shouldn’t have been surprised, the power of his body was clearly evident. His biceps were well defined and his legs were solid as tree trunks.

She stood and unhooked the fastener on her belt. She was wearing a wraparound wool skirt which buttoned on the right hem. She undid the three fasteners and laid it aside. Her panties were cotton and fit snugly about her buttocks and waist. Her legs were smooth and matched the complexion of her face.

They stared at one another for a time, before she stepped closer and motioned for him to do the same.

She reached behind and unbuttoned her bra. Pulling the straps over her shoulders she let it fall over her arms and through her wrists. It dropped to the floor. Her breasts caught the moonlight pouring through the window. She turned into the flicker of lamplight to give him a better view. Her nipples were perky and encircled by a brown areola, textured in fine goose bumps.

She nodded that it was his turn.

He hesitated, and while she couldn’t see his blush she felt the heat of it…and his resolve wavered, something holding him back. She could read in his mind the cause of distress and showed him no pity.

“Take them off,” She said.

“But I have a….”

“A hard on? What did you expect?”

“Maybe if I wait a minute.”

She walked up to him and looked down. It was like a tent pole, poking out the fabric of his shorts. Rolling her eyes she reached down and thumped it with a hard snap of her fingers. It sagged.

“Gee willikers!” he cried out, grimacing. “Why’d you have to go and do that?”

“Because that’s not part of tonight’s entertainment,” she answered. “Now are you going to keep me waiting?"

He pulled his shorts down and let them fall down about his ankles.

She did the same with hers, letting the fabric roll up over her hips and slide down her knees and over her feet. Turning around several times she gave him a complete view, front sides and rear. Her buttocks were full sized and muscled in contrast to the rest of her sculpted, well toned body. She walked over to the mantle and picked up the lamp. Walking back in front of Pluto she held it below her breasts.

“Seen enough?” she inquired

“Have you?” he replied stepping back.

“Not quite,” she said going down on one knee and looking closely at his manhood. “I always wondered what one of these things was supposed to look like.”

“I feel like a prize bull at the fair.”

“Sorry, tonight is more for curiosity than love.”

“Seen enough?”

“Of that part,” she answered. “But what really has my interest is that ornament on your chest. Mind if I take a closer look?” The Mithril caught the moonlight and gave off a silvery luminescence. “Tell me about it.”

“It’s a Scarab...very old….or so Rogoletti told me. I’m the custodian until Olivia can figure out what to do with it.”

“Turn your chest more into the light.”

Just above the solar plexus the Scarab lay attached. It had the appearance of a large black beetle and was set in delicate bands of gold that allowed it to breath but held it securely in bondage. Pluto reached down and took hold of it between his finger and thumb and began to twist gently. As he did the Scarab released its hold and with a gentle tug Pluto pulled it from his chest. Reaching behind his neck he removed the necklace that attached it. He held it dangling before her eyes, swinging back and forth. The large insect, twisted about on the end of its chain, its spiny legs moving uncomfortably, reaching out for a surface to cling to.

“Would you like to wear it? “Asked Pluto, Certain she would refuse.

Bedelia stared at the beetle intently and then extended her hands.

“What is it?" she inquired. Taking the loop from his fingers. The insect became more agitated as if reaching out to her.

"A Blood Scarab," answered Pluto. “It’s a relic of the old school. The women of my family have passed this one and others along for generations.... over five centuries.”

“And it’s still alive?”

“What do you think?”

“For what purpose?”

“The legend is that it’s one of four, given by our forefathers to their wives before riding off to war. The story is that each placed his essence into one for safekeeping.”

“Essence?”

“Blood sperm. Now-a-days an earring with a succubus leech is used, but back then they made do with these roach like Scarabs. Supposedly they work the same way… a secretion is released that induces sperm to enter the bloodstream. The sperm differentiate and become long lived. When a suitable hostess is found the sperm spin a vesicle on her uterus and when an egg passes beneath… Gotcha!”

“Oh my goodness.”

“Put it on,” he teased.

“May I?” she answered, to his genuine surprise.

“Aren’t you the least bit intimidated?” He asked, taken by her boldness.

“I’m not afraid of insects. This is the most amazing thing I have ever seen.” Her voice was full of wonder. “You don’t mind?”

He was tempted to end the charade. The matter had gone further than he intended but his pride got the better of him. After all, he assured himself, what harm could it do? Rogoletti had told him that the passing of the Scarabs was a right of passage thing for the Witches and they were more symbolic than anything else. Plus all you had to do was give it a little wiggle and it turned loose.

“Go ahead,“ he answered, as she bowed slightly letting the necklace drop about her shoulders. Turning loose she let it fall below her breasts. The scarab immediately began to scurry upward as both watched with an amused interest. Suddenly it was burrowing between her cleavage.

“I think he likes me,” said Bedelia completely at ease... at least until it bit her. “Ouch!” She grimaced looking down in dismay. She moved her breast aside and took the Scarab gently, twisting back and forth. The pain only increased as its sharp legs dug in and it pressed its maw, biting down still harder.

“That hurts!” She exclaimed, “That really hurts.” She winced, tears coming to her eyes. “It won’t let go….It won’ let go.”

Pluto was beside himself. He reached one hand, holding a breast to one side while attempting to wiggle the scarab free. She slapped his hand away. “Stop it! Stop it!” she cried as he turned loose.”

“I don’t know what to do,” he said, “Tell me what you want me to do.”

“Leave it alone!” she retorted, “Just leave it alone!

Gradually the pain began to diminish. A rivulet of blood ran down.

“Oh my goodness gracious,” she exclaimed getting control of herself. “Did you see what that little skitter did?”

“What he did? How about what I’ve done?” groaned Pluto.

“Calm down Big Guy,” she said in a soothing tone, “Just calm down….I’m OK with insects...well most of them anyway. It will eventually turn loose the same way it grabbed hold. They always do. Are you listening to me?”

“Try wiggling it again.”

“When I wiggle, it just bites harder and burrows deeper. Maybe we ought to leave it alone for awhile.”

“Maybe we ought to tell Olivia,” said Pluto shaking his head.

“Right!” snapped Budelia in disbelief. “I can hear it all now. Excuse me Aunt Olivia, I had Bedelia up in my bedroom, fooling around, and you know that Scarab of yours? Well it latched onto one of her boobs and won’t let go. “

“That’s not what I intended to say.”

“Then pray tell me...the words you did intend to use; words that won’t tear my honor to shreds and make me the laughing stock of the city.”

“OK, OK, I see your point… no need for us to panic. There's absolutely no hurry. I've been wearing this thing for over a year and nobody’s mentioned it yet.”

“Now that's much better,” Bedelia reassured him. “I’m sure that before I get back it will have turned loose. I'll wiggle it from time to time.”

“You do that,” said Pluto. “Now let’s get dressed and I'll take you back to the barracks.”










© Copyright 2010 percy goodfellow (trebor at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1671540-Chapter-7--The-Blood-Scarab