*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1672028-PARADOX----Chapter-55
Rated: 13+ · Novel · Action/Adventure · #1672028
Action/Adventure along the lines of National Treasure/Indiana Jones/and The DaVinci Code
Chapter 55

May 15, 2012 – Polar Geophysics Group, New York, USA




Megan scanned the data for the fifth time. This was the third printout of information collected from nearly a dozen sources- astronomical calculations, seismic readings, geomagnetic changes, reports from tectnophysicist, telluric currents, even paleomagnetic data. There was no doubt about it, there was an Earth Crust Displacement occurring and it was growing at a phenomenal pace.

Megan Mackenzy was the best in her field and had proven it time and time again. She had a Ph.D in Geophysics and so many Masters Degrees in associated fields that the string of letters following her name was half a mile long. The titles and letters meant nothing to her, she was comfortable in her field and possessed a mind that devoured knowledge like Caesar Salad. Her appetite for learning was insatiable. Her desire to find answers to the burning questions in her mind was relentless and dominated her ever-waking moment.

Nearing forty, she still maintained a daily exercise regimen and tried to eat healthy and well-balanced meals, almost an impossibility in a research environment where one day could last thirty or more hours. Unlike some of her associates who literally put mind over matter, Megan took good care of her body, and had undergone laser surgery to get rid of the coke-bottle glasses she wore all through college. She visited the hair salon at least once a week, took lessons in dancing and enjoyed an occasional movie or opera. She was also extremely pretty, but never thought of herself as being such.  Her work took precedence over marriage, therefore, she never sought nor needed a partner to share her life with.

“This is incredible!” Megan stood and waved a handful of papers around. “This can’t be happening but all the data says it is.” She was addressing no one in particular but several of her coworkers stopped what they were doing and looked at her with curiosity. It was uncharacteristic Megan to be so exuberant about something.

“What’cha got, Meg?” Johann Bruno was an office associate who had taken the position because one of the big oil companies turned him down for a job offering twice the pay. Since Megan was Assistant Director of the Polar Geophysics Group, he basically worked for her, when he worked. Bruno had a problem with work. He was constantly late and made idiotic excuses for leaving early. Megan’s other coworker, Theodore Broadus, was just the opposite. Ted was conscientious, loved his job, and often burned the midnight oil in search of elusive answers.

“We have a situation.” Megan watched Bruno drag his doughnut stuffed carcass out of his seat and stroll in her direction. She signaled for him to sit back down. “All the data is on your computer. I want both of you to analyze it and see if you corroborate by findings.” Megan picked up her cell phone and punched in a number. She spoke for a few minutes then dialed another number. She continued speaking with each office that had supplied her with the computer information, requesting they verify the information and, if possible, obtain new data.

Several hours later she was satisfied that the data she was working with was correct. Megan had never been fearful of anything, at least nothing she could think of, but the conclusions drawn from these reports scared her. Beyond doubt, the Earth’s crust was shifting and shifting at an incredible rate. What was worse, she did not know the reason for the sudden shift.

Megan knew that crust displacement was scientifically possible, had even been probable in the past. The evidence was overwhelming that the Poles have not covered the same parts of the planet for the entire extent of our geological history.

Coral has been found in Newfoundland, ferns, fossils, coal and fossilized tree-stumps have been found in Antarctica, water lilies and fossilized palm leaves ten and twelve feet long have been found in Spitzbergen. There is evidence that the swamp cypress flourished within 500 miles of the North Pole in the Miocene epoch, and more. An earth crust displacement, as the words suggest, is a movement of the complete outer shell of the earth over its inner layers. If you remove the peel from an orange and then reattach it to the fruit you can visualize the possibility of the peel moving over the inner layers. The earth's crust, in theory, can theoretically change its position over the inner layers.

The presence of a liquid layer between the core and the outer crust would allow such slippage, moderated by inertial forces. There is ample evidence of polar jumps all over the planet, as traces of Glaciation are found everywhere. The impact of these events on biological organisms is devastating. Not only is the loss of life horrendous, if a jump of the poles is accompanied by an orbital jump the temperature range of the entire planet will change. Species not suited to live in this range will be wiped out.

This explains why in the course of the Earth's history sometimes up to 90 percent of the species were wiped out. - The Permian, Triassic, and the Jurassic extinction’s are well-documented examples.

“What could be causing this change?” Megan asked herself again. She remembered reading a report about scientists at Leipzig University in Eastern Germany who developed a model indicating the planet is functioning like a gigantic dynamo. The inner core with its content of heavy metals is the anchor, the liquid magma works like a clutch and the lighter ores in the planets crust act as the windings. The heavy core moves at a lesser speed than the lighter crust of the planet. Metals and ores have magnetic properties. As their field lines intersect, mechanical energy is converted into electric energy and the planet is charged up electromagnetically! Thus, the planet builds up its own electromagnetic field. So, when the electromagnetic field changes enough, the locations of the poles change as well. Therefore, an addition or discharge of energy and local changes in the strength of the field are the logical explanation for a shift of the location of a planet's poles or even the creation of a crust displacement.

“That would take tremendous power and incredible genius,” Megan mused. “Could it even be done?”

“What’s the verdict?” Megan went to Theodore first. Ted was a pencil slim man in his late forties, graying at the temples, practically bald on top.

“I agree.” Ted looked puzzled. “My calculations match the 1.2 degree shift you came up with. There’s no doubt about it, we are experiencing an Earth Crust Displacement.”

“Bruno?”

Bruno waved his hand indicating that he was still absorbing the data. Megan decided to continue without his questionable help. She picked up her cell phone and dialed another number.

Director Rafferty was not pleased to hear from her. Jim Rafferty was on ‘road’ status, an old military acronym that meant, ‘retired on active duty.’ In other words, Megan ran the Group, he signed the paperwork, he got the glory, and Megan got the funding.

“What you got Meg?” Rafferty took another sip of his fifth luncheon martini. His job was politics, not research. Rafferty made sure that Uncle Sugar coughed up operational funding for The Group on a regular basis. He also knew that Megan detested the nickname of Meg.

“We have a situation,” Meg stated. For at least fifteen minutes she pulled Rafferty away from his martini and steak meal. By the time she completed her findings he was halfway sober.

“My office in half an hour!” Rafferty closed his cell phone and returned it to his breast pocket. He apologized to the Representative with whom he was meeting and quickly left the expensive café.

Megan didn’t have far to go. The Director’s lavish office was on the penthouse floor of the building. She gave him plenty of time to make it back to his den, then quietly rode the elevator up to his nest.

“I have a dozen universities around the globe examining this data.” Megan plopped a thick sheaf of computer printouts down onto Director Rafferty’s empty desk. “The feedback so far has been corroborative.”

“An Earth Crust Displacement!” Rafferty did not even pick up the pile of printouts. “What rate of displacement are we looking at and can you predict the eventual polar effects?”

“If the shift continues at the speed it is presently moving, we predict that by December twenty-first of this year, the Continent of Antarctica will be located in the Northern Hemisphere, the approximate location of present day Europe to be precise.”

“You’ve got to be kidding?” Rafferty looked at her as if seeing her for the first time. “Do you realize the significance of that date?”

“The end of civilization as we know it if it cannot be stopped,” Megan glared.

“It’s the doomsday date,” Rafferty continued. “For years now, every would be prophet and conspiracy theorist have predicted that on December 21, 2012, the world would come to an end. They base their ideas on some ancient Mayan predictions or some such bull.”

“We’ve discounted that theory,” Megan sighed. “Scholars from many disciplines have dismissed the idea that a catastrophe will happen in 2012. Predictions of impending doom are found neither in classic Maya accounts nor in astronomy. We believe that the Long Count calendar, which ends in 2012, misrepresents Maya history. As far as galactic alignment, black holes, wandering planets and all the other conspiracy junk is concerned, that’s all it is… junk.”

“But, it will not look that way outside academic circles.” Rafferty was ready for one of his endless and exceedingly boring lectures. “The average citizen will scream, ‘we told you so!’ If we approach the government with this they will smile and pat us on the head like good little doggies.”

“Do you realize the implications of this shift?” Megan looked flustered. “The consequences of the displacement are monumental. The Earth's crust will slide over its interior and incredible quakes and floods will shake the world. The sky will seem to fall as continents groan and shift position. Deep in the ocean, earthquakes will generate massive tidal waves, which will crash against the coastlines, flooding them. Some lands will shift to warmer climes, while others, propelled into polar zones, will suffer the direst of winters. Melting ice caps will raise the ocean's level higher and higher. All living things will have to adapt, migrate or die. Thousands of years of civilization may be torn away from our planet like a fine cobweb. This, Mr. Director, is what we refer to as an ELE, or Extinction Level Event.”

“What’s causing this shift?” Rafferty sought to change the path the discussion was taking. “Your job is to examine systems in flux and come up with answers. Is this a natural phenomenon or something created by man?”

“Man could not create something of this magnitude.” Megan replied. “Unless we had a power source far greater than anything discovered so far. As for controlling it, that is more in the realm of science fiction than science. There is, however, an indication that natural conditions are not the cause. There appears to be a significantly detectable anomaly emanating from the continent of Antarctica.”

“Antarctica!” Rafferty jumped up from his seat and grabbed the printouts lying on his desk. “Bring me up to date on your findings and readings as soon as they are verified. In the meantime I would like to review this data in some detail before I go further with it.” His tone of voice was dismissive.

Rafferty picked up his secure phone line and dialed a number as soon as Megan left his office. “The Nazis have initiated their program, Mr. President,” Rafferty whispered, as soon as the connection was made.



© Copyright 2010 Oldwarrior (oldwarrior at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1672028-PARADOX----Chapter-55