*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1672541-Nightmare
by Curbo
Rated: E · Short Story · Horror/Scary · #1672541
For the nightmare contest
The stairs creaked as I stepped down. It was there, somewhere, in the dark shadows, unseen it lurked. It was cold in the cellar and there was a smell of damp wood, the air felt close. Weak moonlight streamed in through the small windows. Crickets sang out continuously. Goosebumps erupted from my skin, the hair stood on end on my neck and back. That horrible feeling in my back that something was behind me made my stomach churn. Sweat erupted and my breath shook with my body. I felt ill as I searched the darkness. I couldn't see much. Then as clouds covered the moon, I couldn't see anything. Plunged into pitch blackness. I could hear it. It was there, over there. It scratched at the floor with its claws.

Then it happened like a lightning bolt, it caught me unaware. The sound of torn flesh echoed. I was thrown like a rag doll, mauled and wounded. I lay there in the dark, alone and in mortal pain, bleeding out. The moonlight came back to silhouette my attacker. The creature stood over me planning my end and it squawked angrily. The moonlight went once more and so did I.


Word count 199
© Copyright 2010 Curbo (harry4 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1672541-Nightmare