*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1673615-Water
by gvg
Rated: E · Other · Contest Entry · #1673615
Water can be used for many things; we better treat it right.
        The man lifts his watering can into the air, and brings it over to each of his plants, pouring out a little water, watering them one by one, providing  them with much needed refreshments. Then, tired after a long day's work, he walks inside and sits down to rest. But you see, water does not rest. Its journey does not end here. It flows down, some of it absorbed by roots, the rest reaching an aquifer. It is pumped out of the ground, through the fire hydrant, helping firemen battle a roaring blaze. The beast dies out, and the men are treated like champions. But the unsung hero here, water, seeks no gratitude. It continues on its way, dripping into sewers, passing back into the ground. Some will end up flowing through a faucet, as a young mother fills a big pot, placing it on the stove to boil as she prepares to make dinner. Some will end up bottled, purchased by the young boy preparing for his soccer game. It pours down his face as sweat, and keeps him cool and hydrated, helping him score the winning goal. He celebrates his achievement, as our faithful friend resumes its journey; into the bucket of the school janitor, mopping the hallways and getting the school ready for the following school day; loaded onto to trucks which supply children in poor nations with clean, fresh water, free of filth and disease; but it asks for nothing in return. It freezes, providing the dad mowing the lawn with a way to keep his drink cool. It falls as flakes on the ground, creating a beautiful display as a little girl waits anxiously to hear if her school is closed, which would allow her and her siblings to enjoy the winter wonderland our companion has created. It melts, flowing into rivers, lakes, and streams, as animals rush to get their fill. Fish receive the oxygen they need to survive, and a boy and his brother jump in, looking for a way to cool off in the summer heat. The great trees, filled with fruit and used for lumber, our food crops, all fed by this humble liquid. Civilizations rise, energy is created. Life itself developed with the help of our friend. But water receives nothing in return; it does wish for praise. It often never receives the credit it's due. This is often how life goes; we work hard, asking for no praise, not realizing just how important our efforts are. Often, others are given credit for our accomplishments, as we work behind the scenes. Somehow, though, like water, we have a much greater impact on the world around us than even we realize. Meanwhile, the water's cycle continues, eventually returning to that same man, with the same watering can, helping his plants grow; and this is how its journey will continue, day after day, year after year. Just as our journey, life, continues.
© Copyright 2010 gvg (gabe35 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1673615-Water