*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1673657-Bait
Rated: 18+ · Short Story · Dark · #1673657
Scott fails to forgive and forget. (Flash Fiction)
Written for the Daily Flash Fiction Challenge with a word limit of 300.

The prompts: This story must contain the words: point, easy and gone

Bait


Scott walked out of the bar to find his car gone – no big surprise. After all, this wasn’t exactly the best neighborhood to leave your unlocked car outside with the keys in the ignition.

That was easy, he thought.

With no apparent concern, he headed off to his “other” car. It was only a few blocks away and besides, he had plenty of time. Even the best chop shops needed a couple of hours to a-la-carte a vehicle.

He would meet them there; wherever that turned out to be. But first, he needed his car; the one that didn’t have a coke addict in the driver’s seat heading for a quick payday.

Night was coming and Scott soon found himself walking in shadows, still ten minutes from where his car was parked. He didn’t care. Just let someone try something funny. They would find out what it would mean to attack a man with nothing to lose.

In his suit, he was a tempting target. More than one scrum of corner dealers gave him a quick, appraising glance. There were no takers. There was something about the guy. Something only a seasoned “street eye” could see. He wasn’t a cop but he wasn’t afraid either. Best to let this one just walk on by.

Good call.

A geo-locator told him where his ex-car had landed. He wondered if this was the one where they had taken his car years ago; right after the carjacker killed his wife.

It didn’t really matter, so long as someone continued to pay.

Casually, he popped his car’s trunk and pulled out what he referred to as his point-and-shoot automatic door opener.

The RPG opened up the front of the strip shop like a can of sardines.

Heavily armed, Scott walked into the smoke.

Word count 299



http://www.jimdillingham.blogspot.com
© Copyright 2010 Hyperiongate (hyperiongate at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1673657-Bait