*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1673711-Never-Give-Up
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Article · Self Help · #1673711
When life gives you a lemon, make lemonade. Determination makes the lemonade better.
Chen's background was that of moderate poverty. During 1960s when Singapore was struggling to survive as a young nation, Chen's parents were among the many who survived as hawkers along North Bridge Road. As the government was taken shape, the police no longer could be bribed, All hawkers had to get a license to hawk their wares. Chen's parents finally managed to acquire a hawking license to sell porridge but their lucrative location had to go. It was deemed to cause obstruction to traffic. Their stall was then moved to a side road and business became slower than normal.



The government school was free but the books, uniforms and stationery were not. All these took a financial toll on Chen's parents, Chen was determined to make it to the top of class and even school. He worked doubly-hard in his school works. In his heart and soul, he knew that he was the only answer out of poverty for his parents and two younger siblings. Being the eldest, the responsibility of the family weighed heavy upon his 16 year-old shoulders. His class results were good and he topped his class every year. His parents did not understand how hard their son had worked until he came back one day to invite them to attend a school function. Chen had graduated first not only in his class but in the school. How proud the parents were when Chen's name was called. As he walked to receive his award and certificate, there were tears in the eyes of his parents.



Every day, after school, Chen was at the stall helping his parents. As a typical filial son, he was concerned about the health of his parents. He wanted them to take a break in the afternoon but they wanted him to go out with his friends. The love between parents and child was most commendable. For a teenager, Chen did not feel that he had missed the activities that some of his classmates and friends were enjoying. Moreover, he did not have the money to go to the movies at South Bridge Road. His joy is listening to English and Chinese music from their little Rediffusion set. When the parents were home, the little cabled radio was turned to Chinese talk programs and narratives. Simple life but rich in many ways.



At 18, Chen had completed his Pre-university education and like all 18 year-old young Singaporean males, he had to serve his National Service. He felt bad that he had become too busy and had to neglect his parents and their porridge business. Then he was offered an opportunity to become a fighter pilot. Without any hesitancy, he signed up. The deal was not just the regular two-year service required of National Service men but a twelve-year contract of a regular servicemen. Chen was attached to a training squadron at Changi Air Base. Initially, during his basic training, his parents, especially his mother, found time to visit him. Later, when he became an officer cadet, he had the time to visit them during the weekends.



The proud day came, when Chen became a Second Lieutenant of the Republic of Singapore Air Force. He progressed rapidly in his career. Most of the Taiwanese flight instructors spoke highly of him. They felt that Chen had the making of a squadron leader. The fact was that he did not only become a squadron leader, he became a base commander. By that time, Chen had gotten married, moved his parents to his new condominium and made them proud grandparents of two adorable children.



Today, Chen is not with the Air Force any more but flying commercial international flights with the Singapore Airline. His old parents have since retired and enjoying their golden years with Chen and his family. The other two siblings have also grown up and become professionals too. Through hard works and persistence, Chen brought his family from poverty to success.
© Copyright 2010 Uncle Al (albertkang7000 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1673711-Never-Give-Up