*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1673773-No-Coincidence
Rated: E · Chapter · Emotional · #1673773
Mary Jane Simons experiences many events that she belives have happened for a reason.
Chapter 1:
It was only three in the afternoon as the sun was hid by dark clouds lingering over Orchard Cemetary. The wind was howling and the rain started to fall making it hard for the gravediggers to prepare Poppy's casket for burial. My eyes were puffy and swollen from crying and I treid desperately to stop, but the tears kept streaming down my face. When I was first told of Poppy's death, I fainted and fell hard on my kitchen floor. I remember waking up in the emergency room wondering how I got there forgetting completely of what my parents told me. When they told me again I refused to believe them, but somewhere in my head I knew they were telling the truth. Now as I stand here I felt as if I had to faint again. I held onto my mom for support and she hugged me tight. Before Poppy died, we were inseperable. We did everything together. For a man of 75 years he was healthy and strong. We would pack up our bags with food and camping gear and go out hiking in the woods pretending we were on adventures. In the summer, he would take me to the outside markets and we would have so many samples of food from the stands that we would be to full to have dinner. All in all he was my best friend and I was his. You would never see us apart. The one thing I admired most about Poppy was his adoration for his religion and in Jesus Christ. He would go to church every chance he got and prayed the rosary every morning and every night. He inspired me and now I am about as committed as he was. Things changed after one day when he told everyone he needed bladder surgery. My family started becoming concerned about him. When he got out of the hospital after his surgery, his health started to fail. One day when I asked Poppy if we were going on our usual walk in the woods, he said not right now and that he was tired. My being 14, I knew something was wrong and became a little worried. After coming home from one of his regular appointments he said that he was diagnosed with cancer. X-rays showed that he had masses growing in his torso. I prayed every night to Jesus and asked if he would keep Poppy home. I guess my prayer was taken the wrong way because on the night of September 25th, Poppy died peacefully in his sleep. The strange thing was he was the Godfather of my little brother Eli and died on Eli's  birthday. Everyone thought it was just a coincidence, but i knew it was something more. Everything happens for a reason. As Poppy's casket was being lowered into the hole I started feeling dizzy. I told my mom I had to go to the car and so my dad escorted me afraid that I would faint. While getting into the car, it hit me. I cried harder than I had ever cried in my life. 
© Copyright 2010 Roses Are Red (blessedartthou at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1673773-No-Coincidence