*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1673938-Defense-of-an-Idiot-1st-Place
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Detective · #1673938
Candy heard a song on the radio. Now Carl was dead.
“I heard “Footsteps Behind Me” by the group paranoia on the radio. I love that song, even if it is a little spooky.” Candy stretched her gum out from her mouth and chewed it like spaghetti back in.

“So, that was the reason?” Attorney Trey Sanders asked behind his desk.

“Yeah. I took it as an omen. I’m a little superstitious like that.”

“Let’s go through this. You were alone.”

“Yes.”

“You left your apartment at 7:45 pm?”

“Yes. It’s like you don’t believe me.”

“Well… let’s just continue. So, you got into your car and went down to the beach?”

“Yes.”

Trey arose from his chair and paced in front of the window. “And then?”

“Well, I parked and went down to the ocean.”

“You were wearing just your bikini and a wrap?”

“Yeah. It was sunset. I love the sunset. It’s my favorite part of the day. My boyfriend knew I loved it. Poor Carl.”

“So, you’re sitting on the beach watching the sunset when …”

“… when I heard the footsteps. The beach was deserted and I was out there alone. What was I suppose to do? I mean there’s all kinds of creep-o’s out there.”

“You’re telling me that you brought the gun all the way to the beach stuck in your bikini, because you heard a song on the radio?”

“I panicked. I didn’t know it was Carl. He tried to sneak up and surprise me. I’m really sorry.”

“In all my years, that has to be the most ridiculous story I’ve ever heard. Especially, when we find that Carl’s been cheating on you.”

“He was? Well, then I’m glad I killed him.”

“I wonder what you would have done if “My Funny Valentine” was playing.”

“Oh! I love Valentine’s. I’d have bought a card.”


300 Words

Flash Story Must contain the line: I heard Footsteps Behind Me
© Copyright 2010 BScholl (the0hawk at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1673938-Defense-of-an-Idiot-1st-Place