*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1674113-PARADOX----Chapter-58
Rated: 13+ · Novel · Action/Adventure · #1674113
Adventure along the lines of National Treasure, Indiana Jones, and the DaVinci Code.
Chapter 58

May 16, 2012 – The White House, Washington D.C., USA




The President glanced at Director Rafferty, who was slouched low in the conference chair several spaces down from him. “Is there any way to stop or slow this Earth shift or crust displacement or whatever it is you call it, Jim?”

Rafferty took his time to reply, putting on an imposing face and puffing out his chest as he did. He was very good at acting and was often told he should have become an actor instead of a politician. “My Assistant Director, Ms. MacKenzy, has gone over the data with practically every research facility on the planet,” Mr. President. “Their conclusions are, the only way to stop the displacement is to destroy the source that is causing it.”

“And what is that source, Director?” Both the President and Director Rafferty knew exactly what the source was, as did half a dozen others sitting around the conference table, but for the benefit of those who were not part of, The Brotherhood, the question had to be raised.

Rafferty nodded at Megan to answer the question.

“Something is creating a powerful geomagnetic anomaly located near or beneath Antarctica,” Megan began. Despite having been called on late in the evening to fly to D.C. to attend this impromptu conference, a conference consisting of the highest levels of the government, Megan was not intimidated by the presence of so many political big shots. The way she saw it, they put their pants on the same way she did, even if theirs cost more. “I have given this data and the same answer to half a dozen government departments throughout the day. If they’re absorbing it, they certainly don’t seem to be particularly alarmed.”

The President was concerned about the crust displacement, but he also knew that The Brotherhood’s mission; now dubbed ‘Project Prometheus’, was scheduled to get underway within the hour. If it was successful, or rather, when it was successful, they need not worry about the Nazis any more. He still had to give the appearance that the government was doing all it could do to solve the impending catastrophic situation.

“How far has the displacement progressed, Mrs. MacKenzy?”

“That’s Ms. MacKenzy, Mr. President.” Megan wanted him to know that she was not Director Rafferty’s flunky. “Latest reading is at a 2.1 degree shift and it appears to be oscillating, speeding up and slowing down. It’s as if someone is controlling the displacement in order to stabilize any tectonic activity generated by the movement of the crust.”

“Is there any way to pinpoint the exact location of the disturbance and what may be creating it?”

“Get me close enough to the area and I can tell you precisely where it’s coming from,” Megan replied. “As for what’s causing it, that’s another story. There’s presently no scientific explanation for the anomaly?”

The President turned to the Chairman of the Joint Chief’s of Staff. “General Jones, will you see to it that Director Rafferty and his staff have transportation to Antarctica as soon as possible?”

“I believe that Ms. MacKenzy will be in charge of that expedition,” Rafferty cut in. “I am engaged in other important matters at this time.” He passed a knowing look at the President.

“Ms. MacKenzy, how long will it take for you to organize a research team and be ready to depart?”

Megan glanced at the smug look on Rafferty’s face. As Director, he should be the one in command of such a desperate effort to find the source of the shift. That’s what happens when you place a political crony in an important position, she thought. Our wonderful government at work!

‘If I have carte blanche on the personnel and equipment I will need we can be ready to go within twenty-four hours.”

“You have it Ms. MacKenzy.” The President also glanced at Rafferty’s smug face. “Please coordinate with General Jones on your schedule and other needs.” His final words told Megan that she was being officially dismissed. Obviously, there were other issues the conference wished to discuss and she was not invited to stay for the party.”

Megan grabbed her handbag and pushed her seat back against the table. She nodded to the President and glanced at Director Rafferty as she quietly left the room.

General Jones smiled when he noticed that she wore purple work boots with white and pink polka dot socks. “Definitely don’t give a damn about what other people think of her, he grinned. He passed a note to his aide with his personal phone number on it to pass on to Ms. MacKenzie before she left the building.

“Get your shit together, Ted.” Megan said into her cell phone. “We’re leaving for Antarctica as soon as the military can get us there.”

Ted moved the cell phone from his ear and held it at arm length to look at it, as if the phone had just bitten him. “Antarctica?”

“I’m waiting on my shuttle flight to New York now,” Megan answered. “Here is a list of people I want you to call and a list of equipment I need for them to have ready to go by tomorrow. There will be no excuses or delays from anyone about anything. I have carte blanche from the President.”

Megan rattled off a short list of people and long list of equipment and supplies they would need. When she hung up with Ted, her phone started ringing. The number was one she did not recognize.

When she answered it a voice said, “If you go to Antarctica, you will never return.” The speaker then hung up. Megan tried to dial the number but whoever had called her must have used a pay-as-you-go phone, for it was already disconnected.

Strange, Megan thought. The only people who know I am going to Antarctica is that high level group of people around that conference table. She did not include Ted since she had just hung up with him.



© Copyright 2010 Oldwarrior (oldwarrior at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1674113-PARADOX----Chapter-58