*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1674469-The-Ternion---Chapter-6
Rated: E · Fiction · Fantasy · #1674469
From the walls of paradise - into the unknown.
If you choose to rate and review this story, please ONLY do so after having read the story from the beginning.  ("The Ternion Prologue)




Mason Drax: A world away


         Mason and Zek emerged from the dense trees; they had come at length into a green clearing.  Light droplets of cool water were falling from the sky, and Mason had to struggle to keep from staring at the swirl of gray colors above him.  The trees had been an incredible sight; Mason lost himself in the gentle sound of the wind that moved through the leaves overhead.  The crunch of the ground beneath his feet had been invigorating, and the sight of the occasional creature darting through the foliage filled him with awe.  When they had finally left the tree-line, Mason  felt a sense of loss, but the sight of the mountains on the horizon had filled him with excitement.

         The boys had walked through the night by the light of Zek's hands.  Mason could see that Zek was clearly not completely mended - he seemed to struggle even to keep himself illuminated.  Mason saw that his friend had looked relieved to see the suns had risen once again.  A large stone  gave them the opportunity to sit for a moment and rest, and the boys sat together on the cool rock to regroup.  Mason removed the crystal sword from the strap on his back, and it leaned against his knee while he sat.

         "This is truly amazing, Zek," Mason said.

         "It is, isn't it?" Zek replied.  His hair was disheveled from the journey, and the remains of his robe were pulled tight to shield him from the cool water.

         “How are you holding up?” Mason asked with concern.

         “I'm exhausted Mason.  You aren't tired?” Zek asked.

         “Not even close.  I have been waiting for this my entire life, and I couldn't rest if I tried,” Mason answered.  He looked off again towards the mountains, and took a deep breath of the brisk morning air.  The walk through the forest was long, but Mason felt like he could walk on forever.

         He stood.  He stretched his arms and legs while Zek rested.  Mason knew that his friend had never put much stock into developing himself physically; Zek was fit, but Mason saw that by comparison he clearly had more endurance.

         He tried to visualize the old maps that he had poured over for years.  The satchel he carried was carefully packed with the parchment that he had torn from the ancient books.  Mason glanced around him, and realized what little help they would truly be.  He knew that the suns rose from the east - from that information he could determine that they needed to travel toward the south-west to reach the great river known as the Warwin Rush.  The mountains seemed beautiful from here, but Mason knew that climbing through jagged rocks would be slow going.

         He turned to speak to Zek, but a sudden sound overhead caught his attention.  A loud rumble drove through the skies, and with it came sheets of water that began to pour from above.  The heavy rain quickly drenched the arcane pair, and they looked at each other in panic.

         Zek stood immediately; his long hair clung tight to his head.  Drips of water fell from his face, which was now showing a tired look of utter annoyance.  His red eyes looked to Mason, who had already begun to search around them for shelter from the weather.  Zek moved to join him, and together they discovered that there was no apparent escape.  Mason claimed his sword once again, and fastened across his back as he began to move.

         Together they ran through the tall grass of the clearing.  Mason led the way, and they ran south toward the nearest rocks on the horizon.  The untrodden landscape became slick beneath their feet, and water began to form puddles around them.

         “Where are we going?!” Zek asked, yelling out as he tried to catch up slightly.

         “There has to be some cover under those rocks!” Mason yelled out.

         “The rocks all the way over there?” Zek asked.  His voice showed his enthusiasm for the anticipated distance.

         “We need to get out of this water for a while,” Mason replied.  He refused to move his eyes from in front of him.  The wet grass was an alien terrain, and moving amongst the blades was not an easy chore.  Another sound rang out from behind him, but the sound was a hollow thud compared to the rolling booms overhead.

         Mason slowed his pace to look behind him.  He saw that Zek had fallen, but had already begun to pick himself up from the ground.  Mason spun and darted toward his friend.  He grabbed onto Zek's arm to help him stand once again, and Zek brushed the wet locks of long hair from his face.

         “It's not too much further,” Mason said.

         Zek did not bother with a response; his face showed his frustration.  The boys began to move toward the rocks once again.  Little by little, the rocks around them became larger.  They reached the edge of a jagged slope of landscape, and slowed their pace to seek shelter.  The relentless storm raged above them; the chill of the water had begun to find its way to their bones.

         “There!” Mason said.  His finger pointed a group of stones had created a large overhang; beneath the roof they saw a dark crevice with a narrow entrance.  Zek moved quickly toward it, and Mason followed in haste.  Zek stopped when he reached the rocky roof, and was allowed a reprieve from the assaulting water.  The sound of the barrage against the stone around them echoed within the depths of the shallow cave that Mason had discovered.

         Mason peeked his head inside, and saw that the gray rocks had created a natural shelter.  It was dark within the cold walls, but a great deal drier than anything else around them.  He squeezed himself through the entrance.  Mason was amazed that he was able to stand within the textured sanctuary.  Zek followed him inside, and sat immediately on the cold ground with water still dripping from his silver hair.

         Mason let his eyes explore the speckled walls for a moment, and allowed his friend some well-deserved rest.  His heart went out to Zek, who had spent his energy in the escape.  Although water from the skies was never something he could have been prepared for, Mason felt that once Zek regained his strength he could easily keep the elements from harming them any further.

         A glimmer of light caught Mason's eye, and he bent to retrieve a shard from the ground.  He examined it and saw that it was a long shard of uncut crystal.  He moved back to the mouth of the cave and held the gem up to the gray light that struggled through the storm.  A hint of dark crimson glinted from his hand, and a smile crossed Mason's face.

         He moved to the center of the makeshift room and saw that Zek looked at him with tired eyes.  Mason set the gem on the floor, and touched it to activate the power of the red crystal.  A glow crept out from within, and quickly the crystal spouted red flames.  Mason sat on the floor and held out his wet hands to the fire.  He saw Zek come away from the wall and lay next to the crystal to dry his clothes and regain his spirits.

         “You get some rest, brother.  It has been a long night,” Mason said.

         “That it has,” Zek replied with a yawn.  He closed his eyes.           The gentle heat from the crystal flames had begun to dry Zek's tattered robe, but Mason noticed he still shivered lightly from the cold.

         Mason's eyes returned to the flicker of the light in front of him.  He removed the blade from his back and set it on the ground beside him.  They had made good distance in their first night, and he realized that he would also need to get some rest.  A sudden feeling took him by surprise – this dark cave in the wild lands felt more like home to him than he had ever felt confined within Arc City.

         Another look towards the door of the cave showed Mason that the chaos outside was still constant.  He was glad to have a roof over his head and a fire by his side.  Mason felt like he could still explore for another day, and he knew that getting any sleep would be difficult.  He laid back next to the quiet flames, and saw that Zek had already drifted off to sleep.

         Mason allowed the hood of his robe to fold beneath his head, and he stared at the stone roof of the cave.  The firelight sent shadows dancing in all directions, and the droplets from the sky outside filled the hollow with a gentle rhythm.  Mason attempted sleep; he closed his eyes and lost himself in the planning of the next step in his new life.

*  *  *


         When Mason woke, he quickly realized that the cave was completely silent.  The light that came from the mouth of the cave was bright, and the land was dry.  He sat up, and saw Zek sitting at the back of the cave with a burning crystal within his hand.  Mason saw that he seemed to be manipulating the flame from the crystal as he had done many times.  Apparently lost in his task, he had not seemed to notice Mason waking.

         Mason began to stand.  Zek looked at him with a startled expression, and almost dropped the crystal from his hand.  The flames surrounding the crystal dissipated, and he began to stand as well.

         “Been awake long?” Mason asked.

         “Not long, I was just waiting on you,” Zek answered.

         “I'm surprised I was even able to sleep at all,” Mason said.  “How are you feeling?”

         “Well, better than I did before...” Zek answered.  “The land is dry now.  Where will we go next?”

         “We head towards the sunset.  There is a river called the Warwin Rush,” Mason replied.

         “What on Aura is a river?” Zek asked.

         “Well, most of the time it's water--” Mason attempted.

         “More water? Are you serious?” Zek cut in.

         “Not like before.  Not from the sky, Zek.  Trust me,” Mason said.  “This is water on the ground, more than you could imagine.  It flows quickly along the rocks and nothing could stop it.”

         “...Okay.  What happens when we get there?” Zek asked.

         “It would be a good place for our next camp if we can make the journey.  From the old maps it was difficult to judge distance,” Mason answered.  He stooped and picked up his crystal sword, and placed it onto his back once again.

         Mason turned and walked to the mouth of the cave.  He squeezed through the narrow passage and stepped into the sunlight.  He took another deep breath, and the air smelled of flowers and wet grass that still dried in the suns.  He stepped aside to allow Zek to join him, and they stood together for a moment and stretched.

         “Well, it's much warmer now,” Zek said.

         “How long do you think we were asleep?” Mason asked.

         “Too long,” Zek said.  Mason saw that his eyes aimed upward at the suns.  It had passed mid-day, and there were more gray clouds in the distance.

         “If the sky-water comes again, we should try to be ready for it,” Mason said.

         “Water was never my strongest magic,” Zek admitted.

         Mason took a look around him, and noticed the smaller stones that sat at the foot of the cave entrance.  Amongst the rocks were a few small shards of crystal, which he stooped to pick up.  One of the rocks caught his eye, it was narrow and adorned with a long shard of flame crystal.  He put the small shards in the satchel that he carried, and stood holding the larger stone in his hand.  Zek handed him the flame crystal that they had used previously, and he added it to his bag as well.  Mason cinched the stone he had picked up into the belt of his robe.

         “These may come in handy,” he said.  He motioned to Zek, and began to walk westward.  Zek moved to his side, and together they made their way through the long grass once again.  As Mason traveled his spirits rose once again – the excitement of anticipation for what was beyond each new discovery.

         “I can't wait for you to see the river, Zek,” Mason said as they walked.

         “It sounds interesting, but there are more important things on my mind,” Zek replied.

         “I know, brother,” Mason said.  “We need to find some kind of settlement.  Somewhere with clothing and supplies.”

         “We should start to look for food as well,” Zek said.  “I am not starving yet, but it will be better that we have it when we need it.”

         Mason let the reality of that thought set in, and kicked himself silently for not being more prepared.  He had been so intent on leaving the city that he had forgotten about the basic things they would need once they had left.  The arcane were adept farmers; the green crystals in the soil allowed the land to be plentiful, and the blue crystals had supplied their farms with fresh water.  With the circumstances that had allowed their escape Mason had not thought to bring any food along the way.

         His thoughts went to the old tales that had survived though the ages.  He knew that in the years before the shield, the people of Arc had actually eaten some of the living creatures that shared the land with them.  For a moment he considered sharing the stories with Zek, but the thought of killing and eating an animal was not something he even wanted to consider.

         Mason shook the thoughts from his mind, and again focused on the journey ahead.  In front of him he saw another group of trees – a thick forest that lay between two sets of rocky mountains.  The landscape sloped slightly and the verdant grass became more sparse as they moved closer to the upcoming tree-line.

         The heat of the suns was welcome after the chilly morning they had endured.  Even so, walking in the heat had taken a toll after a while and they welcomed the shade of the trees.  The woodlands were cool, and the breeze that moved amongst the trees filled their nostrils with a damp smell of flora.  The trees grew tall and strong, but were far enough apart that the path ahead of them seemed an easy one.

         “Wait,” Zek said.  “I heard something.”

         “What was it?” Mason whispered, stopping in place.

         “Not sure, it came from up there,” Zek said.  He pointed in front of him, and Mason saw that his hand had become covered in small flames.

         “Careful, brother, we don't want to burn down a forest on our first day out,” Mason said with a smile.

         Zek took a few steps forward.  The leaves beneath his feet crackled as he moved.  Mason saw him stop walking and cock his head to the side in curiosity.  The flames disappeared from his hand, which fell to his side once again.  Zek motioned for Mason to move closer, though he remained staring straight ahead.  Mason crept quietly to look at what his friend had spied.

         In front of them was an animal, which seemed to be nibbling at the remains of a plant on the ground.  It did not seem outwardly dangerous, but it was the first true creature the boys had seen and filled them with a sense of wonder.  Its coloring was a mottle of dark green and brown, which allowed it to blend into the forest around it.  It stood on four stout legs, and if it had stood next to them, its back would have only reached their knees.  They remained still, and watched as it peacefully ate the foliage.

         “I can't believe you almost roasted it,” Mason joked.  His voice was a whisper.  Zek shot him a playful glance in response.  Moments passed, and neither of the boys wanted to move.  The creature quickly lifted its head from the ground, and seemed to look directly at them.

         “I think it noticed us,” Mason said.

         “Could it have smelled us?” Zek asked.

         “Does it even have a nose?  I have no idea what it is,” Mason answered.  “I've only read about--”

         Mason was cut off by the sudden attack that came from behind Zek.  Like the creature before, this one was the color of the forest, but its size was much larger.  Zek was knocked to the ground, and laid face-first in the fallen leaves of the forest.  His hands were outstretched, but the four legs of the creature stood upon his back and pinned him to the floor.  Mason instinctively had taken a step back, but his hand quickly moved to the handle of the blade on his back.  Now holding the crystal blade in front of him, he advanced on the large creature that stood snarling atop his friend.

         “Back!” Mason screamed.  The creature turned its attention towards him, but refused to move.  Mason saw that the creature was indeed very similar to the one they had been watching, though this one seemed to be an adult.  Rows of sharp teeth slavered in front of him, and the creature's black eyes narrowed – it challenged Mason to act.  Sharp scales covered the animal, and gave it the texture of rough stone.  Mason estimated the weight of it to be immense.  Undeterred, Mason took a step toward the beast.  The crystal sword felt light in his hand, and he readied it to swing.  He advanced once again.

         The animal leapt from its position, and flew towards Mason's face.  Sharp claws moved towards his eyes.  Without thinking, Mason dove backwards and swung the sword above him at the belly of the creature.  He felt the blade tear through the beast as it passed overhead.  Mason hit the ground with a thud, and heard the creature land behind him.  He sprang to his feet, but saw that the animal was slain.  The fight was over quickly, but the surprise had left his heart beating furiously.  Mason heard Zek approach from behind him and move to his side.

         “Did I mention how glad I am that you kept that old blade?” Zek asked.

         “I didn't want to kill it, Zek,” Mason said.  “I just wanted to--”

         “I know, Mason,” Zek said.  “Though again, you saved me.”

         The crystal sword had taken a second life within a day, and Mason felt terrible.  It was true that he had saved their lives twice now, but Mason did not want to see himself as a killer.  The label his father bore had troubled him his entire life.  He had put the first death out of his mind as they had traveled, but the feeling came flooding back anew.

         “Let's just get out of this forest, Zek.” Mason said.  He began to walk westward once again.  Zek walked silently beside him, and together they put a distance between themselves and the corpse of the beast.  Mason fastened the sword on his back once again.

         Night came upon them with haste; the forest had become a dark place filled with the sounds of the wild lands.  The contrast to the night before was clear to Mason – his excitement for the unknown had been replaced in part by a knowledge that not everything outside of Arc would be a welcome surprise.  The remainder of the forest path was an uneventful journey, save for a small growth of fruit trees.  The boys gathered as much as they could carry, and ate their fill as they trudged on into the night.  The moon and stars overhead saved Zek from having to light the path in front of them, and instead Mason carried the stone from his belt aloft – the crystal torch kept them warm and safe from stumbling.

         When the trees finally became sparse, Mason knew that the Warwin Rush would not be much further.  The land around them had become more barren; a flat span of terrain without hills or rocks to be seen.  They remained westward bound, and walked toward a black horizon.  Mason saw a weariness had crept upon Zek once again, and he made plans to select a good place to camp for the night.

         “Not too much further tonight, brother,” Mason said.  “I am looking for a place to rest.”

         “There doesn't seem to be a better place in sight,” Zek replied.  “All I can see is endless space.”

         “I still can't wrap my mind around it though,” Mason said.  “I mean, just look at all this land.  There is so much of it... so much potential.  Even now, we have only seen such a small piece of Aura.”

         “I am not spent just yet, Mason, I still want to see what a river is,” Zek said with a smile.

         Mason smiled.  He was relieved that the journey could go on a little longer.  They walked in silence, and created countless footprints in their wake.  In the far distance, Mason strained his ears to hear a low rumble from the horizon.  They continued towards it, and slowly it became a louder roar.  Zek appeared troubled, and Mason flashed him a reassuring grin.  When the dark land had become something altogether strange, they knew that they had reached their destination.

         “Prepare yourself, Zek, this should be amazing,” Mason said with a raised tone.  His voice struggled to be heard over the nearly deafening roar of the water's edge.  They slowed pace to put great care into each step; the moonlight reflected over a seemingly endless torrent ahead of them.  They moved as close as they dared to the Warwin Rush, and stopped to take in the incredible sight.  The sound of the water was more powerful than anything Mason could have imagined – the stories had done it no justice.

         “You... were right Mason, this is something to behold,” Zek said.  His eyes scanned over the water while Mason watched him.

         “Now, we can rest for the night,” Mason said. “Let's move away from the water for now.  I want to see it when the suns have risen.”

         “I do as well,” Zek replied.  Mason saw that he refused to take his eyes from the water.  Standing in the sheer presence of this much power had put them both into a state of awe.  Mason stepped back first, and slowly Zek began to move away as well.  They did not travel far from the water's edge; Mason grabbed the red crystal from his satchel and scattered the gems into a pile on the ground.  He knelt and placed his hand over the pile for a moment, and a crimson fire sprang up immediately.  The boys laid on the hard ground beside the flames and allowed themselves to rest.

         Beside him, Mason had placed his crystal sword.  He dug the crystal torch into the dirt and relaxed.  He looked through the flames to see that Zek had already closed his eyes in exhaustion.  Had they not been as tired, the cold ground would have been grossly uncomfortable, but their travels had already seemed to harden them in a way that surprised Mason.  He closed his eyes and let the roar of the water flow over him; it carried him away into pleasant dreams.



If you choose to rate and review this story, please ONLY do so after having read the story from the beginning.  ("The Ternion Prologue)


Continued in "The Ternion - Chapter 7
© Copyright 2010 Frank Moricz (blitz0x at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1674469-The-Ternion---Chapter-6