*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1674473-sheilas-game
Rated: 18+ · Draft · Romance/Love · #1674473
small town girl gets to meet her fantasy man george clooney
Award shows for the movie season are given at the Chinese Theatre because the hall can seat 2000 people. During one of the award shows, Sheila and her friend Carol are sitting near the front of the stage. Carol and Sheila have been friends a long time. Carol lives here in California with her boyfriend David for the past 10 years. Sheila has come to town since David who is a movie director had extra tickets. Carol called Sheila to invite her to come with them. Carol and Sheila haven’t spoken in many months due to a big fight between them concerning Sheila’s infidelity with David. Sheila had been having problems with her husband. Sheila had been unemployed for reasons unknown. She had a big fight with her husband one night and went to go see her friend Carol who was not home at the time. David had welcomed her inside the house. David offered Sheila a drink, which lead to Sheila taking advantage of David being alone for the evening. Carol walked in and saw her best friend betraying her. Sheila explained her situation to Carol but Carol would have none of Sheila’s apology. Carol threw Sheila out of the house and out of their friendship.
During that time, Sheila and her husband got pregnant together. Both were overjoyed because they had been trying for many months with no results. The financial strain of several infertility drugs and procedures began to unravel their connection together. Sheila slipped into a depression and had a miscarriage. The last straw for her husband was knowing that the baby would have been a boy causing Sheila’s husband to go back home to India.
It had taken the passing of several months for Carol to call with an offer of the award show tickets for the mending of their relationship. Sheila accepted the invitation.
Sheila arrived the day of the award show. Walking through the airport, she saw her long time fantasy man George Clooney walking just ahead of her. Cameras were popping the flashes while taking photos of George for some magazine. Sheila walked past all of the hoopla to meet Carol at the airport entrance.
Out on the drop off platform of the airport, Carol meets up with Sheila. Carol places Sheila’s two bags in the trunk of the car as Sheila gets in the front seat of the Saturn. Carol gets into the driver side and proceeds to pull out of the space. The paparazzi people are still following George. The flash bulbs blind George who pulls right into Carol’s car as he was attempting to get away from the cameras.
Carol stops her car, exit’s the vehicle to see what damage there may have been. George also stops his car. There is just a little dent and scraping of the back rear panel. Sheila gets out and screams at the camera men, “Do you guys have no mercy. I want all of your information. This is going in the newspaper tomorrow as well. This can no longer continue. People can get seriously hurt.” Sheila walks over to the man holding the biggest camera with the biggest flashbulb. “I want your name and information. I am holding you responsible for this.” The man is so scared of her that he gives her the information. Carol is amazed at her friend for being so vocal. Sheila has always been known to keep her mouth shut. Sheila walks over to Carol and George giving the man’s information to both of them. Carol introduces George to Sheila. “George, this is Sheila Jones. The one I have been telling you about over the past year. She is my dear friend.” George extends his hand to Sheila, “Nice to finally put a face with a name. Carol has told me so much about you. Please excuse me, I have an award show to get ready for this evening.” George gets back in his car and drives off.
Sheila is overwhelmed at shaking the hand of her fantasy man. All she talks about is George Clooney the rest of the way to the hotel. In order to keep thngs running smoothly Sheila would stay at the Marriot hotel. Since the award show was right down the road from the hotel, Sheila would have the hotel shuttle take her there later.
At the hotel, Carol leaves Sheila at the lobby check in counter. There are many guests checking in for the evening. She had taken a plane from Virginia to California for the past 8 hours, she was ready to settle in and rest before the big night ahead. Getting her room key from the clerk, she boarded the elevator to the 5th floor to her room. She had booked a nice suite for herself. The last of the money her husband had left her before his own departure a day ago. Sheila could never save a dime. She felt life was meant to be lived not saved for a rainy day.
Her room was nicely decorated with plush fabrics in rich Asian red and gold. Oriental style tables and chairs. The bed was dressed in crisp white sheets with 500 thread count. Quite different from the holiday inn right down the road that she normally booked for vacations. In the bathroom was the sink, toilet and shower. She opened what she thought was a closet but turned out to be a Jacuzzi room with a window out to the skyline drive. What decadence she was giving herself. Never in her life would she have done this much spending. Thank goodness, she was returning to Virginia in a couple of days to look for work. She was going to need to replenish her bank accounts now that she had no one to rely on but herself. Maybe she could house sit for Carol or David and find employment while they were away on their honeymoon.
After unpacking and getting her things stored away, she ran a bath to settle her nerves. Carol who was willing to let the incident with David pass because their friendship meant so much to her. David on the other hand wasn’t so tolerant. He held Sheila’s bad behavior against her. This ticket to the award show was a peace offering or at least a start to becoming friends again.
Sheila dressed in linen pants and an amethyst blouse. Not really her best outfit but something that would not wrinkle and be cooling during the show.
Sheila checked herself in the mirror one last time and off to the lobby she went. She had to wait while a large group of people were walking down the hall way. They too were dressed for the award show. As they passed by her, Sheila came to know they were autograph seekers from as many stars as they could come across this evening.
Sheila took the stairs as the elevator was crowded. She walked the ten flights. At the front desk counter stood several guests checking into the hotel for the next few days. Only one clerk was working. Sheila interrupted the girl to ask if there was a shuttle to the award ceremony this evening. The clerk feeling little stressed and agitated from doing the work herself rashly stated, “No. We are not a taxi service.” Sheila backed off the clerk and walked out of the lobby into the open air. She had on high heel shoes and those ten flights of stairs already but a strain on her instep. She decided it was possible to walk to the theatre because it meant so much to have her friend back. There was still an hour to go before everything got started.
She walked on the sidewalk all the way up and across the street.
The line of limos was endless. Celebrities and their dates, publicists, agents, writers, directors were all being questioned on the red carpet as they flowed into the Chinese Theatre hall. Sheila wasn’t sure how she was going to find David and Carol. She walked with the moving line of people just to see if they let her in. However, one of the gurards stopped her asking for id. Sheila had none to offer him. He asks her, “sorry, ma’am I can’t let you move onto the red carpet without an id. Are you part of the show?” Sheila tells him that she is with Carol and David. She had forgotten to get her ticket from Carol before she left the hotel. The guard doesn’t recognize the names. There is a hold up in the moving line. She asks the guard to have someone check to see if David or Carol has already come to the theatre or maybe she can wait here off to the side until they walk the red carpet.
It just so happened that George Clooney and his date were walking up past her. “Nice meeting you again, Ms. Jones.” George said. Sheila turned around to see George dressed impeccably in Armani suit. His date was dressed in a lovely strapless gown made by Givenchy. His date, a tall leggy brunette, just smiled at her. “Sorry, we had to meet under bad circumstances.” Sheila offered her hand to both of them. Georges date looked at her curiously. George described the earlier events that took place to Rachael who didn’t seem amused. Sheila knew this wasn’t going to be an easy night to get through. Sheila embarrassed asks George if he can vouch for her to get into the theatre. George turns to the guard saying, “It’s ok. She is with me. I will be responsible for her behavior.” The guard lets Sheila join in the moving line of celebrities. Sheila turns to George, “Thanks so much. I had forgotten to get the ticket from Carol before she left me at the hotel.” George answers, “I haven’t seen them arrive yet. My eyes haven’t fully adjusted to all the flashbulbs yet either so they could have passed me without notice.” George gets called over to give a short pre show interview about who he think will win and what his date is wearing. Sheila is standing meekly off to the side when the interviewer asks George who Sheila is and what she is wearing. George known for being quick witted, “She is my bodyguard for the evening and she is wearing one of her own creations.” Sheila smirks at the thought. His date hides her disdain for Sheila under a fake smile and a clenched hand cupping her handbag. Sheila walks along with George and his date while scanning the couples behind her for her friend. “Where could they be?” She asks herself. At the entrance to the theatre, She takes one last look through the crowd. She is worried about her friend and her fiancée’. “I’m sure you will find her inside, Ms. Jones.” George says to Sheila after he hands his invitation to the young lady at the door. Sheila turns around and walks inside, only to be stopped again. She has no invitation. “Ma’am, I’m sorry you need to have an invitation to go inside.” George tries to help out but is told Sheila needs to have a placard with her name on it to get inside. She shrugs her shoulders as people pass by her. “I’ll wait here. Unless there is another entrance for directors and their girlfriends?” The young lady answers, “No. The only way in is through me.” Sheila gives the young lady a once over thinking she can take her but decides for decorum sake to wait it out. George’s date is getting antsy, “George, can we go in now. I need you to introduce me to Matthew.” She is tugging on his arm. Sheila tells George to go ahead, she’ll be in later. George’s date wonders why he is taking so much time with this woman. She is getting agitated with the situation and hauls George inside. Sheila is left alone.
Sheila is still searching through the crowd even as the show begins. Remembering Carol’s phone number, Sheila dials the numbers. Shoot! The call went to voice mail. Hopefully, she will check her messages soon. Over the p.a. system, Sheila can hear the show moving along. If they didn’t come through the entrance, where the heck are they? She is really getting worried now. She rethinks the events when Carol left her at the hotel check in counter. Didn’t she tell Carol that she would hitch a ride with the hotel shuttle. Although, there was an awful long line of limos. I am sure that everyone has arrived by now. Does David have any medical issues she doesn’t know about? Could Carol? Could there have been any car accidents? Sheila asks the young lady to check the news for her for any car accidents. The young lady turns on her walkie talkie radio to check in with other crew members. No. there hasn’t been any accidents within a 30 mile radius. The young lady is now shutting the door into the theatre. Sheila decides to give them 15 more minutes, then she is going back to the hotel. She did at least have her little bit of fame on the red carpet. She did get to meet her fantasy man with his date.
Sheila tries calling Carol one more time. Voice mail again. Too bad she didn’t have David’s phone number. Didn’t Carol say she was talking to George about Sheila over the past year. Maybe George knows David’s number? She knocks on the door to the theatre. Hoping someone would come to her aid. She decides to use another route. She walks towards the back of the building to gain entrance using the service doors.
Inside the theatre, there was a big lounge that housed the bar area, bathrooms and the entrance into the ballroom where the award show was going to take place. Sheila had lost sight of David and Carol while talking with George and his date. She had managed to keep hold of her ticket so she knew what seat she would be placed. One of the ushers walked her down to her aisle. Sheila asked him, “Are you sure this is where I am supposed to be? I have never sat this close to a stage before.” The usher assures her that this is what is written on the ticket. Sheila sees David sitting in the row and is seated next to him. “What happened to Carol?” Sheila asks David. He answers, “She had to powder her nose or something. She will be here shortly.” Sheila turns just as George and his date walk by to sit in their seats two rows ahead of her. Carol comes traipsing down the aisle just smiling away. Sheila says. “What is up with you?” Carol laughs openly, “I was just talking to Rachael, George’s date. She is hoping to get into the movie business tonight at the after parties. She is trying to make a name for herself. Having known George for the past few years, that is the kiss of death for her. All his past girls have tried the same thing and it never seems to work. Six months from now, you watch, he will have a new lady friend.” Sheila was hopeful at the prospect that the information awarded her if only for a second. She was here in town only for a few days and this would be the only night to see George. Or so she thought.
Sitting behind her fantasy man, Sheila watches as Rachel leans over and kisses George on the lips. Sheila comments out loud. “Look at those two kissing, like that in front of me. I thought affection was outlawed at these types of events. I do have to say that kiss only rates a 7.5 on the lip meter.” Sheila’s success is short lived. George turns around looks straight at her. “Commentary is not required.” George then turns back around. Sheila states, “I wasn’t speaking of you, Mr. Clooney.”
Carol, Sheila’s friend, playing along states out loud, “Sheila, leave the poor man alone. He doesn’t even know you are infatuated with him. Get over him already.” Upon hearing this statement, George turns back around saying, “I’m sure everyone does now.” The whole front row turns around to look at Sheila while snickering under their breath.
During a scheduled television break, the audience leaves the ballroom to enter the lounge to get refreshments. Carol and David slide past Sheila to get into the aisle. Carol sees George headed their way, turns back to Sheila saying, “Here’s your chance to make your move, Sheila. “ George and his date are strolling up the aisle with the slow moving crowd. “Ladies, is there something I can do for you?” George looks at Sheila and smiles. Carol relates all the details about Sheila’s crush on him and Carol’s up to here attitude. “Can you just kiss her and get it over with already.” Carol turns around to catch up to David who only moved several inches in line.
“Sheila, darling, stop harassing Carol with romantic fantasies about us. I thought our love affair was just between us and here you are telling people, if this should get out, I’ll be ruined.” George says with a grin as he lets Sheila out into the aisle, She can hear all the people in line laughing at her. She is humiliated. George’s date gets in on the fun by saying, “Some people have no manners.” Sheila can’t get to the lounge area fast enough. She just wants to run and hide.
She strains to keep her composure from the fun made of her. She walks out into the crowded lounge. She heads to the bathroom to find her friend but the line is too long. Sheila heads over to where the drinks are being served. Passing through the stuffed together crowd, she is pushed into George. “Excuse me, I am trying to get to the bar. People keep pushing me in all different directions.“ George looks at her, “It’s a stampede, I tell ya.“ All the guys are laughing at his joke. Sheila finally makes it to the bar to order her glass of water. She scans the room to look for her friend Carol. However, her eyes have searched out George. Turning in Sheila’s direction, George spies Sheila looking at him. He knowingly smiles. Sheila turns the other way before anymore stories form in her mind.
The lights dim to indicate the break is over. Only two more awards to be given out, the best actor and the best movie, then Sheila can take off her shoes which are killing her feet. Already she can feel blisters forming on the back of her heels. Not having found her friend, Carol, she decides to return to her seat. The slow moving line deters her at the moment so she orders another refreshment. Over her shoulder, she hears George say, “Better slow those down, Don’t want my best girl to be tipsy after the award show.” George says moving in along side of her. “Been keeping tabs on how many drinks I have, Mr. Clooney?” Sheila says as she sips her drink caressing his body with her eyes, then continues on, “Besides I think your dates lips are lonely.” George answers with a devilish grin, “Jealous much? What else can I expect to come out of your mouth?” Sheila answers, “Nothing as long as you put something in it.” Wow, that was brazen even for Sheila to say. She waited for George’s response. Sheila sees his date coming in their direction. “Here comes your date now.” George turns around as Rachel kisses him on the mouth marking her territory. “George, what has been taking you so long. I thought you were getting something to quench your thirst.” Sheila laughs to herself while looking at George. Sheila says, “Glad I could be of assistance to you.” Sheila walks away to the big ballroom to her seat inside.
Walking down the aisle, George walks his date to her seat and then turns around to walk back to Sheila to whisper, “I’m looking forward to the chase.” Sheila smiles saying, “The fox is in the hen house.“
Rachael watches as George whispers to Sheila. Sheila looks in Rachel’s direction with a big sweet smile. Rachael is fuming as George ambles back to his seat with a big smile on his face. George sits down to rub Rachael’s ego for awhile.
The last category winner for best movie is Crazy Heart. The film that David directed. He is designated to give a thank you speech. He moves quickly up onto the stage and gives his speech for the whole crew. After that, the host of the show thanks everyone for coming and the show is over. The audience clears out of the main hall. Carol gives Sheila some cash to get a taxi to David’s house for the after party because she is going to propose to David in the limo on the way home.
Out into the lounge area, Sheila heads to the bathroom before checking on the taxi situation. Exiting the bathroom, she sees George leaning on the bar area facing the bathroom entrance, talking with the male workers who are cleaning up the hall. George looks up as Sheila walks over to him. “Your thirst still not quenched? Glad to know you have better taste, after all.” George laughs, “I designated myself as your driver for the evening. I overheard Carol asking you to take a taxi. I know there will be few and far between since all of those out front have been specially ordered months in advance. So unless you want to wait here several more hours to get a ride to the party. I would be delighted to give you a ride myself.”
Sheila chuckles as she states, “I’m going straight to bed. My night has come to an end. I need to rest up for tomorrow’s a big day. You are welcome to join me. Oh, that’s right, you have another mouth to feed. Your loss! I will just call the hotel to have the shuttle pick me up.” Sheila starts walking away. George catches up to her. “A bit sure of yourself aren’t you, Ms. Jones.” He links his arm around hers escorting her out of the building to his waiting car. “Your chariot awaits.” He states as he opens the front car door for her. “Aren’t you missing someone?” Sheila asks as he closes the door and walks around the car to get in on the other side. “She had other plans this evening.” Sheila retorts, “You got rid of her right quick. Should I be worried or complimented.”
After buckling themselves into the seats, George drives down the road to the hotel. “Are you sure, I can’t interest you in some partying? Carol did say she wanted to see you there.” George asks as he pulls up to the hotel lobby doors. “No, thanks. I sure hope you are not driving after drinking this evening. I know Carol has lots of bedrooms in her house. Please tell her I was too worn out to come to the party and congratulations from me.” Sheila answers as she gathers her purse and reaches for the door handle, turns in his direction. “Well, it was nice meeting you, Mr. Clooney.” Sheila lightly kisses his lips thinking it’s the last time she will ever see him again. George returns the kiss with one of his own. Only his hand grasps the back of her neck pulling her into him and deepening the kiss. Breathless, Sheila opens her eyes, “That sure was forward of you, Mr. Clooney?” George has released his hand from her neck. He is backing away from her. “I’m sorry just following your lead.“ She turns to open the door. “Thanks again for the ride.” She rises from the seat and closes the door the door behind her. Never look back, Sheila, she says to herself as she walks through the lobby doors.
The same group of people are standing around razzing each other about who got the biggest celebrities autograph. With the aching of her feet, Sheila gets on the crowded elevator and rides up the 10 floors noicing the pain of her aching feet. She exit’s the elevator along with everyone else. Still jabbering about the autographs. She walks behind them down to open her room door.
In her room, Sheila undresses to take a shower where she luxuriates herself with all the bath lotions and washes. She drys herself with the large fluffy towel after the steamy shower. She slips into bed naked which is a new experience for her. Having had a full day of travel and meeting her fantasy man, Sheila falls asleep dreaming of the kiss from George.
Her room phone is ringing. Who could be calling her at this time of night? Looking at the clock while she turns on the light. It’s 2am. “Hello, Sheila. Why aren’t you at the party? Carol has been waiting for you for hours.” David has called on behalf of Carol because she is depressed that Sheila didn‘t make it to the party. “Congratulations to you both. I have had a long day and I need to rest. I will be there tomorrow for the wedding. Can you tell Carol how happy I am for her.” David states, “This is not how a best friend treats a best friend.” Sheila responds, “It is too late now. I will make it tomorrow.” Sheila can hear laughter in the background. “What good stories am I missing?” David tells her that Carol is telling the one about Sheila rolling down the ramp at Taco Bell. Everyone is laughing at her. “How could she? That was supposed to be confidential. Now I can’t come to the wedding tomorrow. Everyone will know.” She rants into the phone. David yells for Carol to pick up the phone, “My dear, please come talk to Sheila. You just gave away her secret. You are no longer friends.” Sheila can hear the muscling of the phone receiver. “Hello. Sheila. Don’t worry honey, I’ll never tell your secret to anyone.” George says into the phone a little inebriated. Carol is trying to wrestle the phone from him. “George, give me the phone. I want to talk to my friend.” Carol firmly states. George whispers, “This is my girl. No one gets between my girl and me.” Sheila tells George, “Give the phone to Carol. You need to go sleep off your drinking. Get a room and go to sleep.” Finally, Carol comes on the line, “Why didn’t you come? I was waiting for you. I wanted to talk to you about how things are going with you? We need our girl time before I get hitched.” Sheila would really like to be there because it sounds like a good party. “I wish I could be with you celebrating your happy occasion. I need to rest after a long day of flying and meeting George. You had better make sure he is going to sleep at your house. I don’t want him driving anywhere tonight.”
Carol inquires, “Sounds a little protective of George? Anything I should know about? What happened on the way to the hotel?” Sheila isn’t about to give any details since she knows Carol can’t be trusted. Sheila tells Carol she is going to back to sleep and make sure George is tucked nicely into bed. “Care to do that yourself, Ms. Jones?” George asks. Sheila mortified that he was listening. “Another time, Mr. Clooney.” Sheila hears a click on the line, “Hello. hello Carol are you still there?” Now she can hear breathing on the line. “Hey, who is this? George is that you still on the line?” “W W Who is this?” George says waking back up for a few seconds before he goes back to sleep. Sheila hears Carol take the phone from George, “Ok, he is in bed fully clothed sleeping off his many drinks of the night. I had better see you tomorrow at the wedding, Sheila.” Sheila hears George murmuring, “Sheila…..” as Carol hangs up the phone. Sheila falls back to sleep after she thinks about what is in store for later that day.
Walking down to the lobby to see the tourist map section of the lobby, she picks out a few destinations. She starts off by taking the trolley downtown to the main station. There are many expensive stores that she can’t even afford to look into the display windows. She stops in at the local art museum where there is a showing of her favorite artist Claude Monet. Walking around in the large hall, many artists paintings are roped off to deter guests from touching the masterpieces. It is crowded in the main viewing room, Sheila is pushed against the ropes and onto one of the framed canvases. Feeling the painting beginning to topple, she is saved by the security guard who rushes in and holds the painting back while Sheila moves herself away from it. The whole roomful of people is made to leave due to the incident. Sheila is detained to see if she has caused any damage. She tries and tries to get the curator to see her side of the story that she was pushed into the art piece. It wasn’t her fault. Luckily, there was no damage to the masterpiece. Only to the wall behind it, from the frame scratching the wall while swinging from side to side before it was caught by the security guard. It was determined by the curator that Sheila hand over her information of where she is staying and what phone number she can be reached. Sheila would make restitution by coming back after the gallery had closed and paint the entire wall back to its original state. After that disaster, Sheila needs some down time. She sees the local library across the street. There is a sign out front telling of her favorite authors lecture that is starting in a few minutes. She takes a chance and walks inside the library and over to the circulation desk. “Is there still room to go hear the lecture being given.” Sheila asks the man working behind the desk. He looks up with a welcoming smile. “Yes, that will be 24.95.” Sheila gives him an odd look. “24.95, that’s an odd amount for a lecture fee.” The clerk explains the fee is for the book and the lecture is free. “But I can get into the lecture free without buying the book?” Sheila asks. The clerk starts to get uptight with the same argument being given all day, “No, you can’t have one without the other.”. Sheila responds, “That is crazy. This is a public library. I never heard of someone charging a fee for anything, except for returning late books.” Sheila walks out of the library.
Down the street, she hops the trolley to find a place to have a drink. She has been walking around all day without eating a meal. She sees a street vendor selling hot dogs. The vendor doesn’t have any drinks. She looks around for a place to eat. She sees the famous diamond jewelry store instead. She must see what all the fuss is about wearing diamond necklaces and such. The door chimes as Sheila walks inside. The chimes alert the clerk as well as a customer looking at diamond rings. Sheila speculates that George is here buying a ring for his date the other night. He turns around to see Sheila walking around looking in each jewelry case, “What brings you here, Ms. Jones.“ he inquires. “Just coming to see why everyone is so interested in diamonds. I have never seen the glory behind wearing such extravagant jewelry. I would much rather have something that lasts a lifetime than something that can be replaced or doesn’t lose it shine.” She says as she peruses the very expensive rings, earrings and necklaces all set in different colored stones. She stops at the ruby section because it is her birthstone. A gorgeous ruby studded pendant necklace on a silver chain is calling her name. Then she sees the price tag along side it. Too much for her pocketbook. She continues on the next set of jewelry cases which is right next to George. He is looking at a very large shiny diamond ring. “In the doghouse I see?” She inquires. George responds, “Diamonds are pretty apologies.” Sheila answers, “You must have gotten yourself into big trouble for that size of a diamond.”
The clerk looks up from the jewelry case to give a smile. Sheila steps around George and looks at the last of the jewelry. The clerk moves away from George. “Is there something I can show you, ma’am.” the clerk asks. Sheila responds with a comment. “No, however, you can tell me why your diamonds are so coveted by most females. What is it about diamonds that every girl needs one.” The clerk, taken back, by the statement says, “Ma’am, if you don’t know the answer to that, this store is not for you.” Sheila agrees and walks towards the door.
The clerks’ boss comes out from behind the curtain of the back room, “Miss, maybe I can explain it to you. I am sorry for my rude clerk.” The hefty balding older gentleman looks over to the clerk, “You’re fired. Get your stuff and leave this instant. That is no way to treat customers even if they don’t purchase anything. She could very well have wealthy friends or family that she could direct our way. Sometimes a sale is in what you teach rather than what you sell. This lady could purchase something in the last jewelry case for a small price and then liking the service direct her friends with more funds our way who would be able to purchase larger items.” The clerk is humbled. Sheila walks back to the jewelry case and asks that the clerk be spared. The boss is reluctant since the clerk has been on probation for the past month. Sheila asks, “If I buy the amethyst pendant and chain will that delay his retirement.” The boss gives a moments thought. “Yes. I will give him another chance. Leonard. This is your last time. No more taking people for granted. Everyone is a potential sale.” Sheila having very little money left in her bank account hadn’t wanted to use it on such a frivolous purchase however she did save a man’s job if only for another day. George who is watching and listening to the whole incident feels compelled to give Leonard a sale. “Leonard, I want to buy this ring and necklace. Here is my card.” The clerk takes Georges purchase, places it in a box, wraps it in paper and hands it over to him. Ringing up the sale, he then takes George’s card and completes the paperwork. The boss then motions for Leonard to ring up Sheila’s sale. The boss avails Sheila of the managers discount of 25% off. Sheila is thankful. “What a nice surprise. I will definitely send all my wealthier friends your way. You know, Leonard, if your boss agrees, maybe you could have some demonstrations or parties where you identify why your jewelry is better over someone else’s or what all the definitions mean like clarity, cut, color, etc. I realize your store is established for the longest time so you don’t really need to go above and beyond expectations. I understand you are not in need of new clients but everyone is a potential customer like your boss said.” The boss likes what he hears from Sheila. “You know you have a great idea there. I will look into that with Leonard, Ms….” Sheila offers her name, “Miss Sheila Jones. It was a pleasure coming in here today after my disaster at the art museum.” The boss, Leonard and George give her a strange look. Sheila goes on to explain her predicament. Sheila ends her story by saying, “ So, tonight I will be painting a masterpiece for the museum to get no credit at all.” All the men laugh. “All is not lost. You will be alone with all the great painters of the world.” George comments. The boss man relates he has some pull with the curator. Maybe he can lessen her sentence. He will make a call before she leaves the store. Sheila walks over to the chair in front of the diamond case. “Leonard, can you bring me a glass of water.” Leonard heads behind the curtain. George has walked over and sat down in the chair opposite her. “Is there something I can do for you?” Sheila shakes her head. “No, you already have by giving Leonard the sale. That was nice of you.” The boss comes back from his office behind the curtain. “I’m sorry seems the curator is wanting to make an example out of you. The viewing room was crowded and to save face, he must punish you somehow since he wasn’t able to get the man who pushed you into the painting in the first place.” Leonard comes from behind the curtain with the water. Sheila takes it and downs the drink. Leonard goes back again to fill up the glass. Sheila also downs the second glass. Slightly, replenished, Sheila asks Leonard if there is a nearby café to get something to eat. Leonard directs her to the sports bar a few doors down. George offers to escort her there. Looking at her watch, Sheila sees it is getting late. “I don’t have time. I need to get to the hotel to get ready for the wedding. I can eat something there.” Sheila stands up and walks to the door. Almost forgetting her purchase, Leonard hands her the gift bag. “Thanks Ms. Jones for saving my job. I am thankful to you. I need this job so that I can support my family.” Sheila accepts the thoughtful words and walks out of the store with George right behind her.
“I have my car right over here. I can drive you to the hotel and then to the wedding. You are going to Carol and David’s wedding, right?” he asks.
Sheila responds hastily. “Yes. Please hurry. I need my insulin.” Getting into George’s car, she tries to buckle herself in but is unable to get it to work. George has gotten in on the driver side and buckles her in after buckling himself into his seat. He speeds off across town to the hospital, he is taking no chances. At the emergency room, he goes inside to get a nurse or doctor to come out. Nurse Judy is on shift and hurries outside to the car. She assesses Sheila as she has passed out. She calls for a gurney to be brought to her. Nurse Judy shakes Sheila to see if she knows her name and where she is. Sheila is moving in and out of consciousness. Doctor Dan moves Nurse Judy aside as he lifts Sheila out of the car and onto the gurney. It is determined that Sheila is headed for a diabetic coma if she doesn’t get some medicine soon. She is wheeled into trauma room 1. Electrode leads are placed on her chest as her clothes have been cut open. An I. V. drip has been started with special insulin medicine. It takes awhile for Sheila to come around and have neural questions asked of her to see if she understands what happened and where she is.
All this time, George is out in the waiting room. Nurse Judy is with him keeping him company. “Does she have any relatives we need to contact? Do you know if she has insurance or who her emergency contact person would be?” George searching for the answers in his head only can think of Carol. “There is her friend Carol who is getting married in an hours time. I don’t want to interrupt Carol’s day. However, I think Sheila is the maid of honor. So I suppose I better make the call.” George walks into an alcove and makes a call to Carol. She picks up the phone worried that Sheila hasn’t gotten here yet and neither has George for that matter. George relates the events of Sheila passing out in his car and the hospital staff is asking him for insurance information and Sheila’s emergency contact. Carol gets all flustered, “What is wrong…Is she going to be ok? I can’t get married without her. What do I do? David is all set to get married today and he is not Sheila’s number one fan. She has no insurance and her…..I am her emergency contact information.” George thanks her for the information and tells her he will call back when he has more details. He also tells her to go ahead and get married. It isn’t right to hold up all the other guests.
Sheila asks the doctor how much longer the iv drip needs to run. Sheila needs to get to the wedding pronto. She can’t fail Carol now. After all Carol has done for her. This is her moment to repay her. Sheila asks the doctor to pull the iv out and let her go. The doctor can’t really do that because Sheila is looking pale and her pupils are pinpoints. Sheila reaches over and pulls it out herself. “I need a scrub top to dress in and I’m leaving.” George opens the door just as Sheila hops off the gurney and lands on the floor. He walks into the room and demands an explanation. “What the hell is going on here?” The doctors tell him that Sheila is refusing treatment and wants to leave the hospital. George looks at Sheila for further explanation. “I have to get to the wedding. I have to get there! I am not going to let Carol down! I am not!” Sheila says as she takes a hospital gown and wraps it around herself. There is blood dripping out of her arm and she is getting paler by the minute. Sheila is determined to get out of there. She bends her arm back so the bleeding will stop. “Can you hand me a cup of water. I need some strength to stand up.” George offers her his hand as she rises from the floor. She sits on the edge of the bed and drinks from the water pitcher. Most of the water splashes onto the hospital gown. She looks around for her shoes which are sitting in the chair across the room. The doctor follows her line of vision. “If you can make it to the chair and back without falling down, I will release you into Mr. Clooney’s care.” Sheila takes a long look at how many steps it will take to get to the chair and back. Taking a deep breath, she manages the task well. “OK, doctor, let me out of here. I am ready to go. I will be a good little girl and eat something at the wedding and then I will take it easy for the remainder of the day. Mr. Clooney, hurry up and get your car. I am ready to go.” Sheila is given a scrub top to wear. George is stupefied as to the events that just happened. Where is the lady that was brazen enough to flirt with me. Where is the lady that I kissed last night. Grabbing Sheila’s hand, George leads her out the room and out of the hospital to his car being towed away because it was parked in a no parking zone. “Great. Can this day get any better?” Sheila said rhetorically walking over to the bus stop. “Now, how do we get to the wedding?” She asks George. Pushing a key on his phone, George is speaking to Jerry, his office manager, telling him to have a car here pronto. While they are waiting, George asks her, “Why all the secrecy about your condition?” Sheila tells him, “What secrecy? I have only just met you.” George standing near her asks, “Why did you not want the doctor to tell me about your illness?” Sheila says, “I just want to get to the wedding for my best friend. I may have ruined her day anyway. This outfit doesn’t exactly make me maid of honor.” Two cars pulls up, one with Jerry and the other for George and Sheila to take to the wedding.
Making conversation in the car, Sheila questions, “Where is your date this afternoon. Isn’t she going to be there?” George explains as he pulls into the long driveway with cars parked everywhere. “No, she has other arrangements.” Sheila looks at George. “Should I really be worried about that? This is the second time, you said she was elsewhere. I am beginning to think you got rid of her.“ George says, “I’m not that kind of guy.” Sheila looks around at the house and big front yard. She doesn’t remember Carol living in such an extravagant house so this must be David’s house. “Thanks for the ride, Mr. Clooney. I appreciate it.”
George responds getting out of the car and opening Sheila‘s door, “Anytime, princess.” They walk around back to the wedding tents. Carol welcomes them both. “Sheila, I am so glad you made it. Are you ok? You look a little pale. The ceremony is just about to start.” “Here,” Carol turns Sheila towards the house, “ Let’s go get you a blouse to wear. George, David is already assembling the men together for the ceremony.” George says, “I’ll see you later, Ms. Jones.” With a kiss on the cheek, he is gone to greet his friends. Sheila is watching him walk over to greet David. Such a fine specimen of a man. If only she had more time to spend with him.
Carol walks Sheila over inside the house to her bedroom. “Ok, talk to me, Sheila. I can see that you are deeply falling for George and you aren’t staying that long.” Carol continues on as she pulls out a blouse from her closet for Sheila to wear during the ceremony, “Since we last talked to each other to make plans for your visit, you have dropped off the earth. I haven’t heard a word from you. I am sorry that David won’t allow you to stay here. It is hard on him to come to terms of how he allowed you to make advances on him while I was out that evening. I haven’t been able to tell you that his movie deals are being rejected by his bosses because they need a big box office hit. He is feeling quite stressed. I am hoping the honeymoon will give him much needed relaxation. I don’t know though. Last night he was pacing the floor. I think the idea of being married legally on paper has got him worried financially. I don’t know how to make him feel better. I was wondering if you could talk to him?” Sheila looks at Carol after buttoning the last button on the blouse, “Me! I’m that last person that should be talking to him about marriage.” Carol tries to enlist Sheila’s help while walking downstairs to head back outside, “True, but I don’t know what else to do. Maybe a few days on a cruise to the Bahamas will clear his mind. I will do my best to occupy his mind the whole trip.” Sheila offers walking behind Carol, “I am sure you can think of something to do to take his mind off of things.” They both laugh as they walk into the tented area outside for the bridal party. George walks up to the tent flap, “Carol, David is getting worried you are going to back out on him?” Sheila goes to the door. “She will be ready in shortly. She is getting dressed now. Try to assure him, she is his forever, no matter what may happen.” George looks at Sheila, “Are you still talking about Carol?” Sheila swallows hard. “ Go, be witty by entertaining the guests.” George says. “Now there is the girl I know and….“ He turns and walks off towards the seated guests.
Carol gets the wedding dress out of the closet within the tented area for the bridal party and begins putting it on. Sheila assists her with the back zipper and places the flower in her hair. Finished dressing and ready as she will ever be, Carol moves towards the opening of the tent flap. Sheila stops her and gives her one last hug as a single woman. “This is a very joyous occasion for you both. I am so delighted to be a part of it. Thanks for inviting me.” They walk outside together as the music starts to play. Sheila passes by George who is going to be walking Carol down the aisle. Carol’s dad had passed away some years ago and David thought George would be a good substitute. Sheila who is the maid of honor is escorted by an usher down the aisle and stands at the side of the make shift altar. Everyone stands as Carol is escorted by George down the aisle. Sheila keeps her eyes on the beaming bride and groom as they give their own vows. The reverend tells David he can kiss his bride. Sheila looks over at George to see him with a knowing smile. Could he be thinking about the kiss in the car the night before? Carol and David welcome everyone to the reception, a barbeque with games for the kids and adults to enjoy.
© Copyright 2010 irked_reader (bettinag1 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1674473-sheilas-game