*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1674635-Fool-Me-Twice-2nd-Place
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Drama · #1674635
Warren forgot Emma ... Again. Mindy tracked him down though. Perhaps once too often...
Mindy knocked on the door. “Open up, Warren. I know you’re in there.”

Warren inched open the door, and peered at Mindy through the long slit.

“I knew you’d be here. You can’t run away from me.”

“Look. I understand you’re angry. I forgot to pick up Emma from school. I’m sorry. I just got my days mixed up. I thought it was Wednesday. My mother got her. Everything is cool.”

“My God, I can’t believe you. Irresponsible dirtbag and to think we have a child together just makes me want to vomit. If you’d get your head out of your ass for one minute and think about other people for a change…”

“I said I was sorry. You didn’t feel that way two months ago. I mean I thought we had a chance to get back together.”

“Yeah, well. So did I, Warren. I thought… I don’t know.” Mindy shifted her eyes and studied Warren’s shadow seeping through the crack. “Are you going to let me in?”

“Why? So you can get even more pissed? This is Tom’s place anyway. He’s at work and I’m just sacking out.”

“He won’t mind. He never has. Besides I need you to pick up Emma on Friday.”

“Ok, I’ll get her from school. I’ll make it up to her. She is the cutest kid. How’d we do that?”

Mindy smiled. “Beats me.”

Warren opened the door revealing himself in a bathrobe and holding a beer.

Mindy’s cell phone rang. “Yes. Uh huh…. You’re sure?…Oh, my God.” She hung up. Her eyes fell on Warren like bricks. His stubbled face, jungle-like hair, and scrawny legs completed her view. A tear slid down her cheek.

“What’s wrong?”

“We’re going to be late… Again.” Her hand patted her tummy.

Warren dropped his beer.

300 Words
Flash Story Must contain the line "We're going to be late again."
© Copyright 2010 BScholl (the0hawk at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1674635-Fool-Me-Twice-2nd-Place