*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1674752-The-Principals-Office
Rated: 13+ · Other · Contest Entry · #1674752
No matter the cost, some things are worth it.
“We're in trouble,” Martin whispered.

Joe took a long, slightly congested nasal-breath and released it slowly through his mouth.

A minute went by. Then another.

Martin's shoulder knocked into Joe's. “We are in trouble!” he said, hissing.

Ruby Carmichael looked up from her desk.

Both boys froze and then, a tad late, redirected their eyes to the ceiling.

When they looked again, Miss. Ruby Carmichael had returned to her computer and was silently typing away.

We're in trouble? We?” Joe remained ram-rod straight staring at the top half of the new school secretary, but for effect, he enlarged his eyes and shook his head in mock-panic.

“I'm grounded for a month, maybe more,” Martin whispered sideways.

“I would be so happy if that's all that happens to me,” said Joe.

Martin didn't want to hear the rest, the part about the different discipline techniques between the two households . “Ssh,” he said. “Let's not waste it.”

Later, when Miss Ruby Carmichael suddenly spoke, she caught the boys by surprise.

They both jumped.

“This school starts at eight!” she said sharply. Then, with a softer, more southern tone, “What tamm?”

“Eight O'clock,” both boys said at once.

“My-lands! Mr. Schliemann says you come late tomorrow you both have to spend Saturday here with me!”

Both boys watched as Miss Carmichael, half-smiling, came around her desk. Her blond hair fell partway over one blue eye as her slender bare arm reached out and opened the glass door. On the way out they glanced down and side-ways at her long tan legs.

“We're going to be late again, tomorrow,” Martin said when the door closed behind them. He looked hard at his friend.

“Nine sharp,” said Joe.

299 Words







© Copyright 2010 Winchester Jones (ty.gregory at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1674752-The-Principals-Office