*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1675905-I-am-not-paid-to-work
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Other · Contest Entry · #1675905
Just a rant about what I do and do not get paid to do at work.
It's only work if somebody makes you do it."  That's the thought I was having as I listened to yet another lecture from my so-called boss. 



See I am sub-contracted as a therapist, but unlike my sub-contractors I do not choose my days or hours of work.  I work 6 days a week from open to close and then sometimes beyond.  Now when I say work let me define for you what my work entails.  I am a massage therapist so I am paid a percentage of what the charge is to do massage.  That is it that is the only thing I am paid for yet I am required to be here even if that means I am sitting twiddling my thumbs all day.



But wait I don't twiddle my thumbs which brings me back to my original message.  My "boss" decided that since she was now going to school part time she was going to develop a list of cleaning that should be done every week while she was gone.  Now there is another employee here that is paid by the hour and our Senior Therapist which is a co-owner also here everyday.



The hourly girl cleans almost daily because she does not like to be still.  I have no problem helping her.  In fact I enjoy it, it gives me something to do.  And I always keep My massage room clean.  But this particular week, I had been really busy with clients and the helping that I had done were things not on the list so outside of sanitizing my room and cleaning the refrigerator my initials did not appear on the check off list.



So here I come in all happy on Friday(the only day that she is here) only to be bombarded within 2 feet of the door with a paper in my face and questions of why have I not helped more.  Although I pointed out that everything was done I was reprimanded with "well Debbie should not have to do it all, I want to see more help from you"!  "



Wait, neither of the other 2 therapist names are on the list at all.  I start to point that out before I am sideswiped with instruction that I will clean and sanitize the other therapist rooms today.  "No"!  That was my breaking point.  I get paid to do massages nothing else.  I do not mind helping around here when it is slow and there is nothing else to do.  I feel like I am part of a team. Even though in my opinion that team only consist of 2 people.  And I would say that I think the other employee feels the same way.  Her and I get along great and we have great communication she knows she can count on me for anything but as far as sitting here being plowed over and told I WILL do this work and I know I won't get paid a dime for doing it that's where I draw the line.



It's only work if somebody makes you do it."  It was fun when I did it because I wanted to.  It is still ok to help my co-worker whenever I am available and or bored.  But standing there listening to this ranting lunatic was beyond what I was willing to take.  It is "work" when someone makes you do it, and the only work I get paid to do here is massage so unless someone wants to start paying me to work I will be reading a good book in between massages thank you very much!
© Copyright 2010 lucyrose (tamiered at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1675905-I-am-not-paid-to-work