*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1676453-Fratres-Aeterni
Rated: · Other · Military · #1676453
Are all Marines really "brothers forever"?
The whiskey burned, the music hurt his ears, it was the best bar in town. He had missed it, all of it. As he threw back his last shot of the night and ordered the first of many beers, he surveyed his home away from the barracks. Most of the people he knew by face, not name. His crew was there though, itching for a fight but begging for a slow down from the previous seven months.

He'd lost count after thirty but he knew more of his boys were there. Those that had something to come home to wouldn't be there, of course, but for the rest of them, they only had the boys, and tonight was a night to celebrate the best way they knew how.

"Bring it on." He said aloud to himself as he took a long swig and let the cold liquid soothe him. He walked through the bar; pausing to hug the girls he recognized and shake hands with their new beaus, most of whom he didn't know.

He was making small talk with one of the girls and her flavor of the week when someone at the back bar caught his eye. He didn't know her but knew that wouldn't be case for long. She was standing with a person he knew would hook him up, his best friend's ex-wife, Shay. Excusing himself from the mind numbing conversation with what's-her-name and the surfer, he gingerly made his way to where Shay and the mystery woman were standing with a group of regulars.

Stopping about five steps away, he drank his beer and watched her. The way she associated with those around her, the way she carried herself and her body language were dead give-aways that she wasn't an 'easy lay'. Coming straight off a rotation in Iraq, however, he figured he could handle anything this little girl would be able to dish out.

After ordering another beer he started over there, but was blocked by Costens and Morse; both so drunk they could barely walk. He couldn't just walk away from his boys for a girl, the past seven months had left no room for that what so ever, but by the time they wondered away he had lost sight of her. So he did what he did best, he stalked around the bar. He didn't have to look very far, though, they were out on the dance floor with what seemed to be half the patrons in the bar, dancing.

Even though it wasn't a dance one would find provocative, the way she moved, the way she was enjoying herself, as evidenced by her smile, was. Shay caught sight of him leaning against the rail that bordered the hardwood and motioned for him to stay where he was. As if he was going anywhere until he met that girl. As the dance was winding down, Hastings walked up and slapped him on the back. It took him awhile to point her out to his buddy because she wasn't one that Hastings himself would look for and so passed her over every time.

Shay led her off the dance floor straight to them. That's right, he thought, come to me, beautiful. As Shay exchanged hugs with him and Tyler he got a better look at her. She definitely wasn't one of those that were more attractive across the bar! Her eyes were blue but when she blinked they would turn green for a split second. Her hair was the color of strawberries and hung to the middle of her back. Her skin flawless and her make up was done beautifully. Her every move and fluid and graceful, he was in awe!

Shay was talking, introducing the girl to Hastings. Then she shifted to him, "This one can be a major pain in the ass but he's so lovable that you'll over look it." They all laughed and then she continued, "Corporal Noah Walsh, this is Chloe."

And he was lost again. Her voice was musical, sweetened by the melody of a thick southern accent. She was pleased to meet him, and her hand was extended to him as it was to Hastings seconds ago. Could he handle the touch of her skin or would he make an ass of himself? Why not go ahead and do it?

Instead of taking her hand, he pressed her back against the rail and kissed her hard. The taste of her mouth was more intoxicating then the beer. Noah found that he could've stayed that way all night, but that wouldn't work with the plan he had forming in his mind. Besides, tie himself to one girl when the night was so young? Yeah right.

He broke the kiss as quickly as he had begun it and motioned to Hastings. They walked away, leaving the girls to wonder what had just happened. For the rest of the night, however, the taste of her kiss stayed on his lips. That and the occasional glimpse of her as she passed were enough to make up his mind. He would bide his time, of course, but he would have her. That's all there was to it.
© Copyright 2010 Dakota Trent (dixie13 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1676453-Fratres-Aeterni