*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1676547-The-Pixies-Tale
Rated: E · Fiction · Fantasy · #1676547
Many of the forest denizens had vanished, never to return. With 1 exception. Unfinished.
Now that the dark wizard and his army of ogres had been defeated (a whole other story), the curse on Everwood Forest had been lifted. However, the curse and the recent battle, had exacted a heavy toll.

Most of Everwood's defenders had vanished, due to the curse. The casualties of war had made the number remaining even smaller. Most of the natural creatures had disappeared, died or fled from the woods as well. These many factors made the once lively forest seem practically empty.

Those that remained agreed that they had no reason to believe that any of the denizens that vanished due to the curse would ever return. With that in mind, some wood elves went one way and a few centaurs another, to bring some of their respective brothers and sisters back from other climes. Those that stayed, were charged with task of burying the dead and remaking the camps.

Jeja the Druid, Brinn the new wood elf leader and the centaur chieftain, Fredrick, met near the Druid's grove to take stock.

Brinn spoke first, "Our numbers should be the same as they were before the curse. Our cousins always have archers, rangers and scouts to spare."

"I'd say the same," Fredrick said, in turn, "It's the other creatures I wonder about," he concluded, looking at the Druid.

Jeja cleared his throat, "Well, I've sent word to the Druid Council by starling, that I need an assistant to replace Clara."

He thought for a moment, then went on, "Two Dryads perished when their section was fireballed. As far as the others, the brownie is still around, as old as he is, I think he'll outlive all of us," he started, "Seven of the sprites remain and that's it.

"Spike and his merry band of pixies were gone from the curse," he added.

"The Pixies were our biggest Loss," Brinn lamented, "I'm proud of our scouts, but those pixies, as a combination of scouting and ambush party, put us to shame."

Fredrick nodded in agreement. "I'd give my right, front hoof to see Spike again," the centaur said, "The tiny guy was a nit, but he and his squad knew their jobs."

From nearby, a small, squeaky voice announced, "Somebody better get that half-horse a saw."

In unison, all three of them turned their faces towards the sound. Two breaths later, near a copse of trees, nine pixies materialized, all grinning.

"Where did you all go?" Jeja asked, stunned, "Did you see any of others that disappeared? What happened?"

"Whoa, boss," Spiked said, "One thing at a time."

"We ended up in sort of desert, lady only knows where.

"No, we didn't see any of the other ones that vanished before we did.

"And...Fredrick, are you really gonna chop off a hoof?"

"Spike!" Jeja interrupted.

"Oh, right," clearing his throat, Skip went on, "Well we were scouting around the forest by the mossy oaks, near the river section when POOF...





"Uh oh," squeeked the pixie behind Spike, "where did we go?"

"Dorothy, we aren't in Everwood any more," Spike replied.

"Obviously not," said Dorothy, "I can see that!

"What now?"

Spike turned, giving orders, "Dun and Dunder, fly up and get the lay of the land."

"Aye, aye, Captain," said Dun, or maybe Dunder. And so, up they went.

© Copyright 2010 Lee: Namaste! (lee0047 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1676547-The-Pixies-Tale