*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1676820-First-Chapter-of-OPERATION-MOCCANSINS
Rated: 13+ · Fiction · Fanfiction · #1676820
Requesting review of first chapter for "Operation Moccansins" that I have written.
                                                      The Trip



    November 28, 2006, just after 11:00 a.m., in Jaco, Costa Rica, was a day in time that would change the life of several people after the Colombians had just informed J. D. Mann, that the trip was a go. J.D. had less than one and half hours to clean, pack and, though he didn't know it, say what would be his last goodbye to Alexis, his Venezuelan wife of 5 years and their 3 beautiful young children,Timmy,Donna, and Sasha.  Apprehensive, yet with astute faculties of mind, he knew the consequences of his immediate future that lay ahead as he reached for his glass pipe. Placing a “pinkie” fingernail size rock of free base cocaine into the bowl, he sparked the blow torch in preparation of the intense rush of cocaine smoke that would enter his lungs, then in a blink of an eye, the bloodstream and brain. Instantaneously, J.D. Mann's body flushed with the adrenalin equal to that of a greyhound’s anticipation of chasing the mechanical rabbit, only it was no rabbit J.D. was chasing but a mystical beast. He had always wondered on that term “Chasing the Dragon” and why it was used to infer the injection of Herion and Cocaine, but he soon lost sight of this thought as his mind  raced towards the finish line. His heart beat with increasing rapidity and the nervousness of the trip crept into his brain.

   

    Although the affect of this powerful form of cocaine is overwhelming, J.D. knew his future was grim.  But it seemed to have no effect, for J.D. had already endured 4 long agonizing years of a parasitic skin disorder that has literally eaten away his pigment and left him with open, hideous and bloody wounds all over his entire body. This skin problem and the “Trip” were the constant calamity that racked his brain into another realm, but he turned these thoughts over and over, again and again only to realize if he were to rid himself of these parasites he must do the “Trip”.

   

    This would be better than suicide he thought, a selfish act, but the tormented past 4 years with the infection and the destruction it caused upon his mental capacity along with the obvious ugliness of his skin, the torture had to cease. At least he hoped it would.

   

    The “Trip” was something that he had avoided for 20 years when he retired from the “drug trade” but now this opportunity to cash-in was tearing at his very heart and soul.  Very experienced at such endeavors, J.D. agreed upon the terms with Manuel and handed his passport over so Manuel could make the necessary flight arrangements.

   

    “Are you scared to do this trip?” Manuel asked, “No, I have done many of these years before for the Mafia and the Cartels of Columbia”, J.D. offered, trying not to show any of the anxiety he really felt.  "Good we will provide for you everything that is needed."  Following this conversation, J.D. spent two days and nights at the Green Iguana hotel in downtown San Jose, Costa Rica. Here he awaited Manuel’s return with the pre-packed luggage and flight tickets. 

   

    These two days were to be the time for J. D. to ease back to reality from his cocaine induced world, but his thoughts were cemented on his young wife, children and his own deteriorating health and mind.  There was no turning back the time clock, for now it was in fast mode.

   

    Soon his memories of his hasty departure from Alexis and the kids would fade and the haunting reality would come exceedingly quick.

   

    Just after 4:30 a.m. the morning of the 30th of November, J.D. awoke to the ringing of the telephone on the nightstand next to his queen size bed at the Green Iguana. 

    “Good morning Mr. Mann, this is Roberto at the front desk, as requested your wake-up call.” 

      “Thank you”, J.D. responded as he fumbled, to place the receiver onto its proper placed.

      He arose for a shower and shaved, dressed and finally woke up Alfredo, whom Manuel had sent to the hotel earlier with J.D.’s passport, the flight tickets, money for travel and the huge piece of expensive United Colours of Benetton luggage that contained the supposedly well hidden and undetectable 6 kilos of 74% pure Columbia cocaine. It was at this the moment that J.D. was made aware of his final destination, Milan, Italy, by way of Mexico and France. This was his “Trip” that would pay $40,000 upon his successful completion after 15 hours in the air or the airports awaiting the next leg of the flight. Upon arrival at the International Airport in San Jose, Costa Rica, J.D. checks the drug-laced luggage. Cramped in and surrounded by people he tried to remain calm and emtionless, but it was almost too much for him to bear as the drug enforcement teams passed by, their dogs sniffing and inspecting every bag.  But against all odds and to his surprise his bag was cleared and soon he was proceeding towards departure gates through customs without a hitch.  But still he sat,awaiting his call to board, every moment expecting a firm hand on his shoulder, or a hard voice asking him to accompany them. Only when the flight was finally airborne did the anxiety subside, and then only momentarily.

   



    Landing in Mexico City 2 hours later, J.D. exited the plane with the nervousness of this journey impacting his already fragile mind.He knew at any second, the police, could surround him to whisked him away for years of imprisonment yet he glided through the Custom check point again, undetected. The confidence level had now risen and he just needed to wait 12 hours in Mexico City for the second leg of the flight to France. The eyes of hundreds of passengers,police and employees in this huge International Airport felt as though they were all focusing on J.D.,burrowing into his skin, burning into his soul, and he decided to wait the lay over in a nearby hotel.  Hurriedly,he left the bubble that had encapsulated his thoughts.  All he wanted was a hot bath to soak the painful skin, and the few hours to try and relax would give him the courage to continue this exodus. But here in the self-imposed solitude, his mind played on the the internal commotion and he was sure that something was wrong but he just couldn't fathom what. He grabs the remote and surfs the local television channels for The Discovery Channel or The Fishing Channel.  Both of these always soothe his thoughts when nervous about anything. With in a few hours he is fast asleep and wakes up abruptly thinking he may have missed the scheduled flight. After ringing the front desk for the time, J.D. showers again and walks nearby for dinner. He knows soon he will be airborne again for 12 hours.  When he returns to check in at 9:30pm, the girl behind the counter advises him that there is an early flight scheduled with room if he wanted to change flight status of which he does. Knowing that the chemical to mask the odor of cocaine has a shelf life of 24 hours and this flight is at least 12 he assumed he will be arrested in France upon landing. But again, against all his expectations he cleared customs without a hitch and soon he was boarding the last leg to Milan, and  gazing down at the luggage handlers as they stowed the bags in the cargo hold, his eyes were fixed in search of his luggage and thier precious content. Locked and cleared for takeoff, J.D. anticipates the worse is about to unfold.



    As he watched from his cabin window the night landscape of Paris, J.D. thought to himself, “I finally got to see the Eiffel Tower, all lit up in its glory for Christmas." He thinks he has made it through the hardest and most dangerous part of the drug trip successfully. Yet, He doesn't allow himself to fantasize on the outcome.  There is still one more final point of entry and this will be the turning point of his life. Whether successful or captured, he knows this is it. The last hurdle to leap, as he crosses the finish line.  From his window he could see what he assumed were the French and Italian Alps, covered by snow as the plane begin its decent over Italian territory and landed at Malpense Airport, just outside of Milan, Italy. Yet he didn’t feel the least bit of fright, for some unknown reason his destiny had already been written, he was only awaiting the final stage to be played-out.

   

    J.D. exited the plane and strolled along towards arriving flights baggage area with only the slightest anxiety of the bleak reality that a waited at the end of tunnel.  But to his surprise the images he had stored did not materialize at this given moment.  The reason for such was his luggage was lost.

     

    J. D. knew precisely his predicament but he blocked it out.  His concern was his skin disease and getting to the pre-arranged hotel, located just a few short blocks from the High Society Fashion District of Greater Milan, Italy.  He checked-in just before 11:00 p.m. on December 1, 2006 and immediately ran a steaming hot bath, where he soaked for well over an hour to try and soothe his aching wounded skin and body.  He was tried, but not worried or scared.  He knew where and who had his luggage.

   

      J.D. wasn’t going to accept the future quite yet.  He planned his next 6 days as if he were planning his own funeral.

   

    With over 30 years of trafficking in drugs and belonging to the “Family”, J.D. accepted his eminent fate and proceeded to at least take in the sites in Milan before his time would expire.  He called his Dad, e-mailed his Mother whom he hadn’t spoken to in the last 8 years, and called to Costa Rica to speak to his business associates and his wife and children.

   

    He tried to remain calm so as not to inflict pain upon his loved ones but at the same time to reach out to those whom his heart cherishes.  J.D. at 49 years old was an experienced professional and this was just business. "But sometimes businesses fail, and so shall this venture,"  he thought to himself.

   

    It was evident that when he returned to Malpense airport to the Lost & Found for retrieval of the luggage that he would not be returning to Milan or for that matter to his beloved family in Costa Rica. A few days earlier he had gone to report this lugguage being lost and was trembling the entire time while inside the airport. The danger of just being present where the Airport Police can snatch you up is all to real to J.D. and his beleaguer state of mind. He holds the fear,nervousness, and sweat close to his body, out of shear desperation, that any display would surely expose J.D. in front of the numerous surveillance cameras that capture all suspicious activity.  It only takes a keen eye from security to alert the Airport Police and this was absolutely stupid, for him to be in the Airport to report the drug laced lost bag.  He does succeed again without notice and clears the Airport for the bus ride back to the city.  All the while his mind is playing everything over and over as if it were a broken record. Surely something is about to unfold but What? Once safely in his hotel room J.D. calls Manuel to give him a progress report about his  actions of the day.  Manuel tries to convince J.D. that everything will be fine because he has people working the airport and they will retrieve the bag of cocaine. It worked for a few days more.

   

    J.D. spent 6 long agonizing days yet somewhat enjoyable walking the streets of downtown Milan, contemplating his demise, but he knew there was no out. He must follow through in-order to save himself from death. It was déjà vu for him.

   

    Exactly 24 years earlier he had done the same foolish thing and spent 18 months in a Florida prison when he knew before hand he could alter the future but chose not to for the very same reasons. 

   

      “Life or Death” how can you possibly choose this fate that only God can create, so J.D. accepted his destiny and Wednesday evening of the 6th of December 2006, he made his last and only phone call to Costa Rica for the sole purpose on informing his family and associates he would not be returning in the near future. 

     

    The cry of his wife’s voice bled deeply into his soul and mind, as he, in his best possible Spanish tried to explain her future without him.  As he spoke in her native tongue, his own heart bled profusely at the arriving reality of his actions the past few days.

   

    “Te Amo Mucho” he said, (I love you very much!)  Ciao. 



















© Copyright 2010 MarcoMann (marcomann at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1676820-First-Chapter-of-OPERATION-MOCCANSINS