*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1676919-Potato
Rated: E · Other · Comedy · #1676919
A short dialog between two poor Irish boys.
1: I had a potato for dinner last night.

2: Excuse me?

1: A potato. I had one for dinner.

2: Just one?

1: Yeah the others went bad.

2: What kind of potato are we talkin’ about here? Boiled, mashed, fried?

1: (shaking head) No none of that?

2: Well what then?

1: Raw.

2: What’s raw?

1: The potato, it was raw.

2: Before you cooked it?

1: No, when I ate it.

2: You ate a raw potato?

1:Yep.

2: Why would you do that?

1:The microwave is broken.

2: What about the stove.

1:That’s broken too. The electricity was turned off. None of it works.

2:You could have taken it to Tucker’s.

1: He wasn’t home. He worked the late shift at the pub last night.

2: Why didn’t you take it to the pub? Devrett would have heated it up for you.

1: That’s the height of desperation, walking around trying to find someone to heat up your potato for you in the middle of the night. Besides I was hungry!

2: So you ate it raw?

1: Yes, and it really wasn’t that bad.

2: Well what did it taste like?

1: Um… I don’t know… a raw potato…?

2: Could you be a little more specific?

1: It tasted like a vegetable… what does it matter any way?

2: I was just curious… Kind of funny, huh? Our grandparents come over here to escape the potato famine and here we are how many years later living off of raw potatoes…

1: That is kind of funny.

2: What are you going to have tonight?

1: What do you mean?

2: For dinner.

1: Oh. I don’t know, hopefully something with meat in it. I haven’t had meat in a while.

2: We could clean some tables for Devrett, he’d probably give us a hamburger or something.

1: No, we can’t do that. Molly’s working there and she’s got another one on the way. He’s giving all the extra food to her. She needs it.

2: Maybe we could eat one of my brothers.

1: Don’t joke about that or I might start taking you seriously.

2: God, let’s start with Brandon, he’s got a mouth on him.

1: Stop it, I’m pretty sure that we’d go to hell if we ate one of those little brats, and heaven is the only thing that I have to look forward to right now.

2: That’s… depressing…

1: So is living in this place. No food, no water, no electricity, no money.

2: Just raw potatoes.

1: Yep.

2: Yep.
© Copyright 2010 A. S. Edblom (asedblom at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1676919-Potato