*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1677289-A-Critical-Period-for-A-Child
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Other · Other · #1677289
This is a short, short story about how a child can be misinformed during a critical time.
A Critical Period For A Child



Linda is a mother of a child. Her son is named Jason. The child is quite adorable and eight years of age. As a mother, Linda knew what she must do what was necessary in order to raise her child in a good setting. But when the child began his critical period--that is, the time that is critical for the child to develop and comprehend it surroundings--Linda acknowledged that caring and raising a son in his critical period is one of the most challenging experiences a mother can ever deal.

On a sunny Saturday, Linda was at the porch while marinating several of the meats she had brought from a nearby local farm. Linda's husband, Sam, was at work but will be home any time soon. Fortunately, Jason was playing with his lego figures, alone. Linda's day starts with a happy smile on her face as the sun casts intense sunlight that transfigure her garden, which adjoined a space that appears to be Jason's playground. It was a typical day for Linda, but she does not know that Jason was in his "critical period." This is how she felt that her life was beginning to get complicated as she would have anticipated.



It was one in the afternoon when Jason finally finds his mother on the porch while marinating the meats:

Jason: Mom, when will daddy be home?

Linda: He'll be here sooner, honey. You missed your father?

Jason: No. I was just worried about him. That's all.

Linda: Why are you so worried about your father?

Jason: He might be kidnapped by the bad guys.

Linda: No honey (laughing). Daddy can take care of himself.

Jason: Oh. Is Santa Claus a god?

Linda: No, honey, he's not.

Jason: Oh, okay! Are you still a virgin, mom?

Linda: No, honey. If I was, I wouldn't have you in the first place (laughing).

Jason left his mother and went to watch TV. This time Linda had forgotten to set up parental control on the television and did not know that Jason was watching TV. After three in the afternoon, Jason went to his mother, again. This time, Linda was already grilling her marinated meats.

Jason: Mom, when can I have my period?

Linda: (silent). No, honey. A boy and a man don't have the same experience as a girl and a woman.

Jason: Oh! Did dogs created god?

Linda: (silent). No, honey, god created dogs...life.

Jason: Oh! So good people go to hell and bad people go to heaven?

Linda: No, honey. Bad people go to hell and good people go to heaven.

Jason: Oh! Is Jesus a faggot?

Linda: (surprised). No, honey, don't ever say that! Jesus is a righteous man and Messiah of God.

Jason: Oh! If we're both white, are we racists?

Linda: No, honey, that's how the media wants you to think. Your father and I used to be advocates of the Civil Rights movement. We strongly believe in human rights.

Jason: Oh! Is Lady GaGa a man?

Linda: (silent).


This was the end of their conservation as Linda decided to finally take it to the next level; that is, watching her son all day, no matter what the costs. She is willing to devote most of her time to Jason in order for him not to live a childhood full of deceptions and hatred. She knew, then, that it all depends on parenting as well as the responsibility she was willing to take. If there was one thing that Linda learned, it was that Jason was in the process of understanding the aspects of society in which lies the status quo and social structures.



© Copyright 2010 FusionX (ssanef at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1677289-A-Critical-Period-for-A-Child