*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1677706-A-brief-question-of-relgious-morality
by BillT
Rated: 13+ · Article · Philosophy · #1677706
Is religion such a bad thing? In comparison to human nature it seems the opposite!
“I am always ready to learn although I do not always like being taught.” Winston Churchill said that, and I think it is true of all humans. As a race we do not like to be told what is right and what is wrong. Some things we accept, others we argue. In my opinion that is what sets us apart from other animals. The choice to choose. Was it God that gave us such ability? Did Eve choose to take a bite from the apple? Perhaps is religion a load of bull shit?

This question I have asked myself from the tender age of twelve. It seems hard to believe that such a righteous being such as God would allow rape, famine and war. Then again the niggling burden of, “choice,” ways heavy on my mind. Perhaps God does not allow man to kill man, but rather gives man the option of forgiving. Indeed, if life were so easy as right and wrong, black and white... would heaven be so brilliant? I have learnt of religion since I had a choice to do so; even those who are dragged to church as a youngster is given the choice of listening or laughing. This is the question of ages. What else is there? The answer, in my mind at least, is simple; “if you don’t believe you won’t receive.”

It’s true, why should we? If there is a higher power then he has a lot to answer for. But is it the trials that face us that should be answered to, or the way we deal with them? The fact is that evil is everywhere, no matter how we perceive the world this is true. Alas, who defines what is wrong and what is right, at the end of the day I believe that the answer to that question is in our heart, and one should evaluate ones conscience before one acts. And it is this feeling, and not that of religion, that makes me feel that there is something else out there. Something that makes us what we are, something that defines us and allows to make “choices.” Then again Winston Churchill also said “I have never developed indigestion from eating my words..” So... do we trust him?
© Copyright 2010 BillT (wthorniley at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1677706-A-brief-question-of-relgious-morality