*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1678876-Arcbound-Part-3
Rated: E · Serial · Action/Adventure · #1678876
Kade makes his decision.
// First, before I begin where I left off, I'd like to thank whomever gave me that 3-month membership! I'll do my best to put it to good use! :)
// Now to get to business!
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

         A long laugh escaped from my mouth. This alien was obviously speaking in figurative terms, and contradicting ones at that.
         -Time has passed since your disappearance from Earth. The scars created with your disappearance have healed.-
         At least I didn't have to threaten him to find out what he meant by that.
         -This is no time for humor, KadeandOther. Time is valuable, and once spent is not easily returned.-
         As I came to realize the seriousness in the aliens' thought-voice, my laughter trickled away. My thoughts began to cool down, and I released the humanoids' neck. It seemingly floated gently to the floor, and I didn't hear any sound as its feet touched down.
         -Thank you, KadeandOther. We were worried that we would have to sedate you again, and that would cost time.-
         "Not because you were afraid for yourself?"
         -We already told you before, we are not important.-
         "You just need some more self-confidence, umm... What should I call you?"
         -We do not need a name.-
         "Then I'll call you..." Hmm... What would fit this human-shaped alien? I studied it more closely. As I watched, the alien's skin shifted colors, from a baby blue to a darker, redder orange with hints of yellow near the head and shoulders. "Ah-ha! I'll call you Prometheus!"
         -We still do not need a name... but to save time, we will argue no further.-
         Prometheus turned, and walked to the wall opposite the bed. It set a hand against the wall for a few seconds, then I gasped as it walked through the wall, disappearing from sight.
         I walked over to the wall, and set my hand in what I guessed was the same area Prometheus had touched. I then started walking, and had the breath knocked out of me. I was surrounded by darkness, the kind that seems darker than night. I tried to breathe, and found I couldn't. That was when I began to lose my sense of gravity. I know that doesn't make much sense, but this place didn't either. The more I worried about air and the blackness blinding me, the less I felt I was still walking on solid ground.
         -Do not worry. Ignore the needs your form has misguidedly created. Continue walking. This will not be a long journey.-
         As I followed Pro's advice, I felt myself grow heavier and relief washed over me. This trip was unnerving; kind of like when you jerk yourself awake when you sleep without a pillow. The slightest misstep or thought could cut me loose from the fragile bonds gravity had on me.
         In mid-step, I realized I was in what would be an observation deck on a starship. I stopped, recognizing Earth in the space-window.
         "I've never seen Earth from space before."
         -We know.-
         Prometheus was suddenly standing next to me, watching the Earth as I was.
         -That is our next destination.-
         "So you're going to escort me back to Earth?" This didn't exactly seem like something Prometheus would do.
         -Yes. We have been designated to take you back to Earth, and help you begin the mission.-
         Prometheus turned, and started tapping the wall immediately to the left of the window, and a hole appeared into a somewhat smaller room.
         -This will be our shuttle.-
         He walked in and tapped a stand-alone podium in the center of the room. The shuttle's end facing Earth became transparent.
         -Come now, KadeandOther. I can almost hear time slipping away.-
         As Prometheus was preparing the shuttle, I had been thinking about what to do with him. His job was to make me do my "job"; convincing Earth's leaders and people to be peaceful, something that has never happened in the history of the Earth. I didn't want to do my job. I wanted my old life, but a new one would content me. I then made up my mind. I wanted normality again.
         I walked into the shuttle, and watched the Prometheus push now-visible buttons on the podium. I studied carefully, and waited until I understood which ones I would need to use to pilot. Then I struck.
         Prometheus seemed to know what I was planning, bringing up his left hand to block my punch, aimed for his head. I brought my leg around, and kicked him in the small of the back, knocking his chest into the podium. He bounced off, using the momentum to turn and bring his right arm (the one with the needle-hand) around to face me. I backed off, putting a few more feet between us.
         "Sorry Pro, I don't need a babysitter watching over me. I want to do what I want, no strings attached."
         -You may be immortal, KadeandOther, but immortality will not save you from the same punishment your people face. The same punishment you are supposed to warn them of.-
         "What they won't know... Well, I guess it will hurt them."
         -Reconsider, KadeandOther.-
         "I have; I did. I made my decision."
         -Then Earth and its people have much less of a chance emerging intact.-
         I rushed in, trying get a grip on his right hand. I did not want to be K.O.'d by that needle. I slapped the hand aside, and started hammering away at Pro's chest. He fell back under my blows, until he was backed up against a wall. After a few more hits, I stopped to see what damage he had taken. Prometheus was seemingly untouched; no change had happened to his body. Even his colors were cycling normally.
         -You do not realize yet, that this fight is over. You have lost.-
         "You're the one slumped against a wall."
         -And you're the one with with a dose of our sedative flowing through your artificial veins.-
         I quickly checked my body, and was about to heave a sigh of relief and a few comments at Pro, when I felt blood dribbling down my face. I put a hand to my head, and had just felt the spot where I was injected; a small, neat hole where a trickle of blood flowed. I had just enough time to wonder when he had gotten that hit in, then the drug started working. I lost control of my body, and fell on my side. Then everything went dark... again.

© Copyright 2010 Demosthenes (arcbound at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1678876-Arcbound-Part-3