*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1679461-Essay-for-employment-application
Rated: E · Essay · Business · #1679461
This is what I wrote for a required writing sample for a job application.
Funny you should request a writing sample as I enjoy the art very much. I am writing this quite off the cuff and spontaneously. I feel this would best reflect the personality of the writer behind the application.

My name is Ann and I have been professionally employed in the Pension Consulting field for the past 20 somewhat years. I recently became another victim of the "economic conditions" that have plagued hard working Americans. (I will be filing for unemployment benefits on Monday). I look at this as an opportunity rather than a hardship.

As I stated at the start of this essay, I enjoy exposition and the challenge of communication. I label it a challenge because I have seen so many examples of poor communication skills it makes me wonder how some people get anything accomplished. I find that one of the most important assets an employee has to offer any prospective employer is the ability to communicate in an effective manner. So, unless you are sitting in some little cubby counting paper clips, there will be some sort of communication in your work day. I enjoy talking, writing and connecting whether it is in a business or social setting. More importantly, I deliver with a style I can only describe as light professional. Nothing can be gained if your words put a person on edge or on the defensive. Establishing good lines of communication with my clients has always been my first order of business. That practice, along with my professional knowledge and skills, has served me well.

I am currently currently working on my first novel. The process has been one of self development and exploration. This is a task I have embarked on without any formal writing education. I have, however, read some of the recommended "how too" books. How is it going? Slowly. But every thought and action I put on paper is an accomplishment that I am proud of. I see my characters coming to life with each obstacle my mind dreams up. That's how I view life as well. Every obstacle, trial and setback is an opportunity for change and growth. I read somewhere that the life of a writer is much like the journey of the protagonist. We have obstacles and barriers that must be overcome to realize the dream. Whether it is bills to pay, dinner to cook, a full time job, family responsibilities, the list goes on and on, we cannot ignore what we were born to do. The trick is to persevere and just add the personal experiences and frustrations to the store of emotions that eventually find a way onto paper.

I know this has turned out to be rather extensive. I like to write. Thank you for taking the time to read this essay. I hope you enjoyed it.
© Copyright 2010 JacDesign (jacdesign at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1679461-Essay-for-employment-application