*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1680031-Long-Odds
Rated: 13+ · Other · Crime/Gangster · #1680031
A mysterious young woman with a rather unusual job allows a peek into her world.
The flight into Chicago was tedious and cramped. Traveling coach always makes me feel a bit like livestock. However, considering the purpose of my trip, it was useful to get herded along in the mass of humanity.

My taxi slid up to the curb at the United Center just on time. Timing in my job is just as important as setting the odds. Long odds in most cases. What is it I do, you wonder? Well, let's just say I am an adjuster. When it comes to sporting events, odds always are that someone will take the bait. Usually a self important man looking to impress someone. It's my trade to encourage their more honorable nature. Funny how simple it is to adjust someones attitude about debts owed.

Sauntering my way up to the box suites I pause to lean sinuously over and adjust the ankle strap on my heels.I easily capture the eye of the generic oaf guarding the door, smiling knowingly in his direction I move towards him. He almost blushes as he graciously opens the door for me, assuming I am there for Mr. Smith. I wonder if he knows just how correct he is in that assumption.

Slipping inside just as the horn blows for the first period, the wildly cheering crowds cover the sound of my approach. I lean over Mr. Smith's shoulder and whisper," I do hope the odds are in your favor tonight Mr. Smith. Let us watch the game together." Then, so softly it is almost inaudible, I hear the sound that thrills me so much. The little catching noise as Mr. Smith swallows and the awareness in his eye. He can feel the hook set now. Sighing contentedly, I sip a cocktail and await the outcome.
© Copyright 2010 tmhtaylor (tmhtaylor at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1680031-Long-Odds