*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1680153-Dawn-of-BlackwoodIntro
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Fiction · Fantasy · #1680153
The Blackwood War begins
  Alexander Blackwood tapped his finger nervously in a rapid, rhythmic pace. He was afraid and worried. Biting his lip at the idea he was trying to grasp he had to fight back tears. Victor, Alex's older brother, couldn't keep himself from grinning. It was only a slight grin, but it was enough for him to enjoy.

  Victor thought about what was happening and chuckled lightly under his breath. Alex stopped tapping his finger and looked up at his brother stunned. "What's so funny?" he finally asked Victor after a short silence. Victors reply was a quick satisfied grin in his brothers direction which confused Alex, but he only let his head fall again without asking any questions.

  Alex began to tap his finger again but only got about three taps out before Jeremy, the royal adviser, came to take them to see their father, also known as King Liam, ruler of the vampires.

                                                                                                              ~~~

  King Liam rested behind the curtains of his bed. Jeremy pulled them back and Liam slowly opened his eyes to see his sons. Alex winced when he saw how frail and sickly his father looked but said nothing out of respect. He knew his father would be able to see his concern. Liam just nodded at him understandingly. "You know why I've asked you here of course." said Liam. "I'm dying. I have a few final wishes I would like you boys to see too. Really, only one. The kingdom--"

  "Don't worry about the kingdom father, it will be in good hands." Victor butted in. Seeing as Victor was the oldest by two years, tradition stated the kingdom was to be passed down to him, even though he was only fourteen.

  "I should say so." continued King Liam. "I want Alex to take over. The kingdom doesn't need more fighting a bloodshed. We need a benevolent, kind ruler for a change. The kind of ruler I know Alex will make. I'm sorry son, but it's time for a new age for the vampire race. One that you just can't provide."

  A silence as present as death filled the room. Jeremy just stood in the corner. Obviously he'd talked about this with Liam already and knew what was going to happen. Alex was wide eyed and stunned. He didn't know what to say though he had a sneaking suspicion that Jeremy agreed with his dad on this one, as both of them always seemed a bit disappointed with Victor's behavior and Jeremy has always told Alex he was like a son to him and since he and Liam were such good friends Alex could call him Uncle Jeremy, something he never let Victor do. Why him though? He was only twelve, how was he supposed to run a kingdom? Why not Jeremy or anyone else capable of ruling?

  Victor was the one to break the silence. "I see." he said calmly, which contrasted with the obvious annoyed fury on his face. "Well then!" his face abruptly became cheerful. "It would appear we have our new king." Victor smiled toward his brother. "Which would mean we don't exactly need you anymore father." and quick as lightning Victor drew a hidden dagger from its holster and slit his fathers throat. Alex screamed out in horror and fell back pushing himself over to Jeremy who just stood unfazed as he watched his old friend calmly close his eyes ready and expectant for death. Alex was horrified even more by Jeremy's calm attitude toward what had just happened.

  Victor turned to his brother with blood dripping off his dagger and speckling his hands and wrists. He laughed lightly "Yes, I can see you'll make a wonderful king." He turned to the door and went to leave. Right before he passed through the doorway he paused and turned around. "This isn't over. If I were you, I'd start preparing myself for the war ahead."
© Copyright 2010 L. R. Smith (jadonsgirl at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1680153-Dawn-of-BlackwoodIntro