*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1680301-science-vs-art
Rated: E · Article · Arts · #1680301
thoughts on music and art and the paradox of art and science.
      Music theory is just that a theory of what is music. It is the scientific approach to sounds that naturally harmonize into what we call music. You see there are two grand oppositions in life: science and art. Science asks the questions of what is? And why is it? Art takes what is and either captures it in such a way to sit back and declare it’s beauty or depict an emotion there of. Or art can destroy and form into anew or rather create. Music is art. No one would against such a fact but it is also science and any musician knows the rules of the game. But I would laugh at any musician that didn’t break such rules for the sake of art. We as humans are an anomaly to all existence. God looked upon man and said, “this is great”.  We are made is God’s image and we are to live out our days creating beauty that reflect that image. The thing is we have not seen God as we have see his creation; but there lies the rub. His image is all over. His countenance is seen in snowflakes and in the twinkle of eyes and in the powerful volcano,  and his heart beat his heard in the music of the wind and rain. Artist often talk of practice of a skill and tis a skill it is. But art is more about finding that song that has yet to be sung, and seeking that image that has yet to be captured.

        I ask my wife to draw me a picture and she replies, “I cannot”. I argue the fact she has imagination and tools and canvas. There is a show that is popular and will probably stay popular but it drives me up the wall. “American Idol” is a show that argues on the side of science but use art as a ploy. The point of the show is to declare the next “American Idol” the greatest singer of the season long competition. Each year this show tours city to city opening stages for anyone to audition to make it to the next stage. What you see on the episodes is not a random selection of acts but rather a precise collection of the “funny’ or rather “bad” acts and also of course the ones that make it. This show’s apparent basis is to make fun of people that are pouring out their heart with the intent of possibly making it. Now people are quick to defend this show and tell me that some people can sing and others cannot. I disagree with such foolishness. They also say that not everyone can make it to the big show and I understand that there is a mass media appeal that leads to record deals and the such but there is the evident basis that I propose that anyone and everyone can sing. I’m not arguing against competition. I lean more on the judging of ones ability and heart. We all have opinion of who is a better athlete or musician but when we judge if one is a musician or not then I raise my hand in protest.
© Copyright 2010 DC LaLone (dcbony at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1680301-science-vs-art