*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1680576-A-Night-to-Remember
Rated: E · Other · Family · #1680576
Sometimes a child's heart teaches all
A Moment to Remember



One Christmas Eve night my wife and I decided to take our granddaughters (ages two and four) to see the various homes in the neighborhood that were decorated for the Christmas holiday.



As our custom, we stopped at the home of an elderly gentleman, who every year decorated his home in such a manner that during the Christmas season his home was one of finest to be seen. Many cars lined the roadside and parents would take their children to walk among the brightly lit decorations. This kind gentleman would stand aside and explain the many scenes that he created and would always give each and every child a candy cane followed by a Merry Christmas.



On this night, I stopped our car along the side of the road and my wife gathered our grandchildren for a tour of the decorations as I waited in our vehicle. Upon her return, I was told this story.



When it was our granddaughter, Jaqualyne, turn to receive her candy cane; Jaqualyne reached into the pocket of her coat and extended the contents to the kindly gentleman. The gentleman took the item and looked it over and told Jaqualyne that it was very nice and proceeded to hand it back to her. Jaqualyne said, “No, it’s for you.”



My wife explained that the old gentleman was so taken back by Jaqualyne’s gift and, with a teary smile, told Jaqualyne that he would treasure it always As my wife led the children back to the car, she could overhear him telling the next family what had just occurred. I ‘m sure that the gentleman, who every year, gave to the community a wonderful gift for all to see, will always remember the night that a small child found it in her heart, as only a small child can, thank him for the beauty that he had created.

For my wife and I, well … just the thought of what our four-year-old granddaughter did … well, you know the rest.

© Copyright 2010 Anderson Dana (raenme at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1680576-A-Night-to-Remember