*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1681335-The-Process-Man
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Drama · #1681335
This is "The Chemical Workers Song" by Great Big Sea written as a story.
         Daniel is a kind, well mannered, Newfoundlander who’s looking for a job. He’s looking to be able to pay for things himself and finally get out of his parent’s house. So far he’s having no luck in securing a position and decides to go to the bar to relieve a little stress.

         He walks in and takes a seat at the bar next to a man who looks like he’s around 70 years old. Daniel orders a beer and as he’s waiting he looks over the list of job opportunities he brought with him. When his beer arrives he thanks the bartender and pays for the beer, telling the bartender to “Keep the change.” The bartender nods and walks off.

         After sipping some of his beer he mumbles, “It’d probably be easier if I just went and got a job in the chemical plant.” The old man next to him looks over and says, “You really don’t want to work in that hell-hole.” “Why not?” replies Daniel, thoroughly perplexed. “Because it’s ‘Go boys, go.’ and they’ll time your every breath. Everyday you’re in this place you’re two days nearer death.”

         Daniel sits there for a moment, wondering what the old man meant. The old man seems to sense this and continues, “Well a process man am I and I’m tellin’ you no lie. I work and breathe among the fumes that trail across the sky. Workin’ in that place there’s thunder all around me and poison in the air. And there’s a lousy smell that smacks of hell and dust all in me hair.” The old man indicates his grey hair and Daniel notices that it is covered in a fine layer of snow-white particles.

         The man takes a sip of his beer and proceeds, “I’ve worked among the spitters and I’ve breathed their oily smoke. I’ve shovelled up gypsum and it nigh on makes you choke. I’ve stood knee deep in cyanide and gotten sick with a caustic burn.” With this the man points to the scar that covers his entire left forearm. Apparently not wanting to be interrupted the man picks up where he left off, “I’ve been workin’ rough and seen enough to make your stomach churn.”

         “Sure there’s overtime and bonus, there are opportunities galore, and the young men like their money. They’ll all come back for more, but soon they’re knockin’ on and they look older than they should. ‘Cause for every bob made on the job you’ll pay with flesh and blood.” Just as the man says this Daniel notices that the man is missing his ring and pinkie finger from his right hand.

         As the man turns back toward his drink he says, “And it’s ‘Go boys, go.’ they time our every breath and everyday we’re in that place we’re two days nearer death. But we go.” The man finally falls silent and Daniel notices that the man is only in his thirties. Daniel decides to take one last swig of his beer. Standing up he claps the man on the back and says, “Thanks for the advice. And good luck to ya, you really helped me out.”

         And as Daniel strides out the door determined not to ever have to work in the chemical plant he hears, “Hey, kid!” When Daniel turns around he see the man looking at him with a smile on his face. The man says, “No. I should thank you. You helped me get a load off me chest!” Daniel smiles and turns back heading out in search of a job.
© Copyright 2010 connerjmf (connerjmf at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1681335-The-Process-Man