*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1681434-Love
by Dakota
Rated: 13+ · Fiction · Crime/Gangster · #1681434
A man ponders his emotions.
Love, what is it? An emotion of needless weight, something that holds you down, at least that’s what he sees when he looks. It is important to care for people sure, but love? The man shakes his head, this is getting silly. He has much more relevant things to think about and do. Like the matter at hand, the papers on his desk. He quickly glanced at the name, Lily. He remembered her; she had been a person who he supposed was ‘Close’ to him. He would go so far as to say she loved him. He wouldn’t go as far as to say the same for him, no, he couldn’t be as weak as that.

“Why is she on the list?”

Cold, his voice was always cold, no matter what the subject. His advisor started to talk to him. The advisor was a scrawny man who seemed worthless, but if he was worthless he wouldn’t be here. The advisor explained she had been on the verge of talking. That wouldn’t do at all. He nodded, and shooed the advisor out, working on paperwork again. Something was nagging at him, though. But he couldn’t let that get in the way of the operation.

At precisely six pm, he stood up and moved towards the room. There was no name for it, just the room. If the room was given a name it would be monstrous, and this wasn’t monstrous, just business. He saw her there, and immediately felt the nag again. It was twisting in him, but he couldn’t name what it was. The woman turned to stare at him.

“Luke…? Oh, thank god it’s you! Tell them they made a mistake!”

Lily was frantic, in hysterics, she disgusted him. One who was so close to him at one point being so weak, so worthless. However, the nag started again. It was worse than ever now. He looked at her with the coldest gaze he could muster in this situation, and spoke to her trying to leave out any and all sympathy.

“There is no mistake.”

She broke down completely, something between a laugh and a cry emerged from her lips. The sound was awful, and he turned to leave. His job was done. Before he could open the door though, the woman, lily, grabbed his arm. He turned his head to tell her to release his arm, but what he saw surprised him. She was no longer in hysterics, just looking at him. A picture is worth a thousand words, so why was he at a loss?

“I am sorry.”

He attempted to make it sound professional, but it didn’t seem like his voice. He turned his head again quickly and yanked his arm away, not understanding the things he was feeling right now. This wasn’t about business anymore. Going out of the room, head down, the man with the needle and deadly fluid looked at him quizzically, he didn’t speak.
What is love, Luke wondered. He supposed he would never know, he thought as he watched the crying family members. After the mourners left, he went to the site, and laid something inside.

“I am sorry.”

And with that, Luke turned his back. He may never feel that way again, but, that was just business, wasn’t it?
© Copyright 2010 Dakota (dakotaslegacy at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1681434-Love