*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1681919-Road-to-Nowhere
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Contest · #1681919
For the Daily Flash Fiction Challenge.
        "Is this just a joke to you? We're lost!" John told his wife, Marissa. It was nighttime, and they were driving down a road that seemed to lead nowhere, stuck in the middle of nowhere just for show.
         "No, it's not funny. I was just thinking we might not have to go to that wedding after all. Watch the road!"
         "Why? It's not like anything's going to suddenly pop up! We're in the middle of nowhere! I could close my eyes and drive and we'd be fine."
         "Try it and I'll kill you." She said. They drove on about another twenty minutes when John saw a light on the side of the road a bit off.
         "Hey. What's that? Do you think it's a gas station? Maybe we can get some directions." As they drove closer they saw it was a gas station, and pulled in. It was old and run down, like one would expect a gas station in the middle of nowhere to be.
         They walked in, and met an old, leather faced man with a scraggly beard, a few missing teeth, and a red baseball cap.
         "What can I do for you, folks?" He asked, spitting as he spoke.
         "My wife read the map wrong, and we got lost. Can you tell us where we are and how to get out?" John said.
         The man smiled a little. "You're nowhere." He replied.
         Marissa was tired and had no tolerance for this sort of bad joke.
         "Yeah, we know we're nowhere. How the hell can we get out?"
         "Ain't no way out of nowhere but one." The man said and smiled.
        "And what's that?" John asked.
        "You either die, or you turn around." He pulled out a gun.
They chose to turn around, but they didn't choose right.
© Copyright 2010 Jude Kinkopf (jude964964 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1681919-Road-to-Nowhere