*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1682322-Hobsons-Choice
Rated: ASR · Short Story · Western · #1682322
A man has a split second to make a life or death decision
“I am very disappointed in you Ernest.” Merrick Garvel stood in the center of the swaying caboose. He held Hobson’s own revolver loosely in his right hand. “I had such grand plans for you.”

“Yeah, well. Life is full of little disappointments ain’t it?” Ernest Hobson sat on a wooden chair close to the rattling oil stove.
The older man laughed, “Get up.”

Hobson rose slowly. “I have to admit, I am curious Merrick. What’s your grand plan for me?” He stretched his arms and body, aching from the beating he had received an hour earlier. “Another thrashing? If so, you need someone who doesn’t hit like an old woman.”

The door opened slightly. “Not now Captain Chalmers. Mr Hobson and I are discussing his future with the company.” The door closed and Garvel turned his attention back to Hobson. “No Ernest, what happens next is entirely up to you.

Hobson remained silent, his eyes on the colt in the older man’s hand.

“In a moment we will be crossing the new rail bridge across the Rio Diablo. When we do so, I am going to shoot you in the face with your own revolver.” Garvel was grinning. “Or, you can jump from this train into the Rio Diablo.”

“Decisions, decisions huh?”

Garvey chuckled. “Indeed. At the speed we are travelling, there is a minute chance of survival.”

The door to the caboose opened and Captain Chalmers, Garvel’s favourite enforcer appeared. “The bridge is a mile away sir.”
Garvel turned to the hulking thug, “Very good.”

Spying his last chance, Hobson kicked the oil stove onto the wooden floor. The broken stovepipe spewed thick black smoke into the tiny caboose. Small flames licked at the boards around the stove’s cracked base.

“Huh?” The older man gasped as he stumbled back, enveloped by oily smoke.

Hobson wasted no time. He lunged across the space and seized Garvel by the throat. With his free hand he grasped the revolver while pushing him against the plywood wall.

Captain Chalmers barged through the narrow doorway. Hobson was ready for him and squeezed the older man’s hand enough to fire the revolver. The huge thug yelped and fell back, his hands clutching at his bleeding face.

“You overlooked one other option Merrick.” Hobson head butted the older man. “The option where I kill you, and toss you off the train.”

He dragged the stunned man to the gantry. The door at the rear of the preceding car opened and a large man in a grey suit poked his head out. Hobson fired the revolver at him and the man rapidly disappeared behind the thin door.

A bullet from the car in front snapped past as Hobson’s head as he braced himself and the senseless Garvel against the vibrating railing.
“Well Mr Garvel.” He whispered to the unconscious man, “Let’s see just how small that chance of survival is, shall we?"

With Garvel held tightly in front of him, Hobson leapt from the train.
© Copyright 2010 drboris (drboris at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1682322-Hobsons-Choice