*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1683618-Do-You-Have-a-Green-Heart
Rated: E · Fiction · Children's · #1683618
A boy visits a park and makes an unusual friend who teaches him how to be "green".
Do You Have A Green Heart



There came a day when the sky turned gray, the grass went brown, and a seed fell down. And there it lay not to be found. Not to be found 'til a tear hit the ground.

A tear from a boy that cried very loud, "Why is the sky one great big cloud? The grass is not green! The sky is not blue! I can't believe it, it can't be true."

The tear he cried fell on the seed and up sprung a leaf that looked like a weed. The weed grew and grew and began to form, into a shape that wasn't the norm.

Not really a man, but not quite a tree, the little boy wondered, "How can this be?"

As the Earthman unfolded, the boys eyes grew wide and he looked for a place he might run and hide.

But the Earthman smiled and from his hand grew a flower, which he gave to the boy who was beginning to cower. "Don't be afraid," the Earthman said and shook some loose dirt and rocks from his head.

The Earthman stood up to his full size, which wasn't very tall to the boy's surprise.

He had leaves on his head and skin of bark and on his chest an unusual mark. A spot in the shape of a heart that was green. The boy thought it was the coolest thing he'd ever seen.

"How did you get here? You hatched from a seed, which started out very much like a weed."

"I came from the Earth as you have just seen. I came here to help, to teach, and to clean."

"I'm so green I have a green heart. You can too, when you do your part. Come I'll show you just what I mean. Come and I'll teach you how to be green."

The boy and the man took off at a pace that looked as if they were going to race. The Earthman pointed, "Look over there! Do you see all the trash thrown about without care? Recycling is the key and of course never litter. People of Earth need to reconsider!"

As they moved on, a big truck sped by, billowing black smoke up into the sky.

"Did you know there are clean ways to get around town that make the earth happy and bring the smog level down?"

"What is smog and what does clean mean? Most cars are clean from what I have seen."

"Smog is the pollution that caused this haze, made by all the things run on gas these days."

"People should know there are other ways to make things run, like wind, water and solar power made by the sun."

"I didn't know that, this is all so new. Tell me Earthman what else can we do?"

Just then, a voice rang out from down the street. "Max come home. It's time to eat."

"Come on Earthman, I've got to go, but you can come with me. There's more I want to know."

The boy and the man made their way down the street, with the boy wondering what on Earth an Earthman might eat. Does he eat other plants or would that be rude, maybe just some water for this green little dude?

At home, Max introduced Earthman to his mother and then to his sister and baby brother.

At once, the man began in his way to explain the reason for his visit this day.

"Turn off the water after you wet your toothbrush,

use low flow toilets to save water when you flush."

Max got excited he knew what was coming. He began to look around and soon he was running.

"You don't always have to turn on a light, open a window when the sun is bright."

"You've got it Max, you're doing just great! Now show me the way to your garden gate."

The family followed the earthman outside, where they found the neighbor's sprinkler fanning wide.

"It's nice to water the plants and for the grass it's a treat."

"But be sure not to let the water run down the street."

"That’s' right Max, can you show me more. I see you have bins by your garage door."

"We recycle. See Earthman, we sort our paper and glass and cans."

"I knew it, I knew you were real earth fans."

Back inside to visit a bit. Everyone wondered where the earthman could sit. But he plopped right down on the living room floor and told a story about the earth and more. The family listened to all the Earthman said, until it was late and time for bed.

"Thank you my friends for lending an ear. Together we can save this place we hold dear."

"You can't leave now and go into the night. It's cold out there it wouldn't be right."

"The weather doesn't bother men of my kind. No one loves the outdoors more you will find. I've got a nice warm spot to sleep. I'll slip back in my seed and burrow down deep."

"But Earthman will you ever return? There is still so much we all need to learn."

"I will be back friends, day after day. I will be back to teach and to play. This is my home and here I will stay."

© Copyright 2010 Lauren Leigh (laurenleigh1 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1683618-Do-You-Have-a-Green-Heart